If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 3, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #19,156 of 19,246
No, they do not (which is a good this for people who already know their size :) ).

To pick out the size for me, I measured the best fitted (single-flange) tips on my other earbuds and then used this guide from Shure :

https://service.shure.com/s/article/dimensions-of-flexible-sleeves-for-earphones?language=en_US
But I’d say that if we want deep insertion with an Etymotic then we’d want a smaller size since usually our ears narrow at a deeper depth.

I’m going to assume I’d want size small. I may try them eventually.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #19,157 of 19,246
Further discussion --
Cable Survival. This post arises after 'window-shopping' online for any hot deals on Etymotic IEMs, parts, cables, and so on...
Presumably you are an all-wire kind of listener ( we are all, all-in on a 24b * 96k format around here. Yes? ) . No radio link I know of is as reliable nor as bandwidth capable -- but if you know of one, lets hear about it.

For all of my sundry cables -- for just about everything -- when they are new I thoroughly clean them, just out of the wrapper, with a 90% or higher solvent alcohol, being sure to clean my fingers as well. Important because I have seen over decades that most plastics and rubber degrades faster with increased exposure to skin oils.
I have been quite happy with the preventative 'I-wish-I-had a real good plasticizer' treatment for all manner of cables ( typically jacketed with a variation of vinyl-something ) by thinly and evenly 'moisturizing' a wide variety of hoses, cords, armrests & dashboards, cables, cases, soft-packs, etc., with a light *sheening* with garden variety petroleum jelly with a bit of light rubbing and then a quick wipe with a clean, dry cloth or towelette.
At this point I have experimented with a variety of 'tubed' adhesives of various chemistries to stabilize, as new, for as long as possible, the strain-relief made in the factory at the various necking points on a wide variety of cables and similar.
Currently I am using a U/V-cure flexible 'patching adhesive' generally used on fishing-waders and wet-suits -- to good effect.

Over the last fourteen years I have only replaced one set of Etymotic cables and those were on a 'good-used' set purchased several years ago.
Regular cleaning with alcohol and 'conditioning' with a sheen of vaseline works wonders.
I presume you NEVER pull any of your devices by the cable for removal, when avoidable!

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #19,160 of 19,246
z3hLaZT.png

Somehow manged to get the ER4XR to mimic 2XR bass with the Speed/Detail that the ER4XR has.

Feb 11, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #19,161 of 19,246
Hey folks, I just wanted to let you know that I've changed my handle here from EtyDave to AnyDave due to no longer being employed by ETY.

If anybody needs help with anything, I'm still happy to answer questions, but you'll need to @ me or DM me to this handle.

I hope everybody is doing well and still enjoying their ETYs.

Cheers,

AnyDave

Feb 11, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #19,162 of 19,246
Hey folks, I just wanted to let you know that I've changed my handle here from EtyDave to AnyDave due to no longer being employed by ETY.

If anybody needs help with anything, I'm still happy to answer questions, but you'll need to @ me or DM me to this handle.

I hope everybody is doing well and still enjoying their ETYs.

Cheers,

AnyDave
Off topic:
Seems like you landed on your feet quite fast. Can we know in what capacity you joined ZMF(hoping for spoilers but also genuinely curious)?

Feb 11, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #19,163 of 19,246
Off topic:
Seems like you landed on your feet quite fast. Can we know in what capacity you joined ZMF(hoping for spoilers but also genuinely curious)?

I'm working for ZMF in a part time capacity. I'm helping in a few different areas, but fundamentally it's on the engineering side of things. Even though I've always been an IEM guy professionally, I also love headphones, so it's been a blast.

I've got some other things in process as well, but it's too early to talk about them.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #19,164 of 19,246
Looks like the days of my ER4S pair are numbered.
Both barrels are showing tiny cracks on the nozzle area. Might be due to age or the infamous Knowles filter issue.
Any idea that might help to save Ety? Superglue?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #19,165 of 19,246
Finally got my hands on this variant. Seems like the unit was well kept based from the condition of everything. Well except for the outer box.

IMG_2304.jpeg
IMG_2303.jpeg

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #19,167 of 19,246
And it's really easier to tell which side because of the red and blue strain relief connector compared to the 4sr.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #19,169 of 19,246
Looks like the days of my ER4S pair are numbered.
Both barrels are showing tiny cracks on the nozzle area. Might be due to age or the infamous Knowles filter issue.
Any idea that might help to save Ety? Superglue?
Well I think thats it, you can search for Yu9 Audio and get the B-S-P version with QDC cable if you want (that is the only store I can recommend) or go for the ER4SR-XR

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #19,170 of 19,246
Just in case .... I recently bought a 2.5mm terminated cable for my ER3XR and ER4XR on AliX in order to drive them from my trusty E1DA 9038S 3k.
Luckily the Ety style MMCX connectors fit just fine and on that cable/DAC combo both sets sound slightly more open, transparent and airy with a wider soundstage than on any other of my DACs/DAPs (non-balanced w. stock cable). Drawback ... I have to build a new impedance adapter for the 3XR (2.5mm balanced) but I already have all the parts for the job ... no big deal.

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004657261819.html

1710181185345-01.jpeg

Attachments

• 1710181185345-01.jpeg
    1710181185345-01.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back