If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #19,171 of 19,246
Hi guys,
I've got the latest and greatest from Etymotic (ER4XR) for pretty cheap off Ebay. Open box.
Was meditated on them for like 15 years and finally got it. Was unsure about deep insertion if it is would be okay for me.
Well... I like the tonality, perfect amount of treble and mids. Happy with bass and okay with narrow sound-stage. But stage is very flat 2-D like and instrument separation practically non existed. Quite disappointing for me. They sound the best with triple flange eartips but with deep insertion ear canal start hurting and become itchy after 20 min. With double flange and foam eartips sound quality degrading considerably.
So seems like some holographic DAC is required for paring. And I hope my ears will slowly adjust to this mild torture.
Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #19,172 of 19,246
Hi guys,
I've got the latest and greatest from Etymotic (ER4XR) for pretty cheap off Ebay. Open box.
Was meditated on them for like 15 years and finally got it. Was unsure about deep insertion if it is would be okay for me.
Well... I like the tonality, perfect amount of treble and mids. Happy with bass and okay with narrow sound-stage. But stage is very flat 2-D like and instrument separation practically not existed. Quite disappointing for me. They sound the best with triple flange eartips but with deep insertion ear canal start hurting and become itchy after 20 min. With double flange and foam eartips sound quality degrading considerably.
So seems like some holographic DAC is required for paring. And I hope my ears will slowly adjust to this mild torture.
Any recommendations?

for a more comfortable eartips i recommend this

if you have discomfort using the tri flange or dual flange, you could try Acoustune AET16 which is single flange, but maintain the treble response of the original tri flange

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #19,174 of 19,246
Well... I like the tonality, perfect amount of treble and mids. Happy with bass and okay with narrow sound-stage. But stage is very flat 2-D like and instrument separation practically non existed. Quite disappointing for me.

I hear you but while the soundstage can appear flat and those puppies (I own the 3XR and 4XR) certainly don't provide the most airy or 'holographic' imaging (whatever that's supposed to mean) at least consciously, I can't complain about instrument separation. The funny thing with their imaging is that out of my 50+ IEMs no other set made me turn my head around so often as if something strange happened around me or sometimes even behind me ... it happens almost daily with my Etys, pretty scary at times :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Any recommendations?
My clear favorite for the Etys (and most of my IEMs) is my trusty E1DA 9038S 3K Susumu (balanced) ... can't recommend that thing highly enough.

As to the fit every other day I'm using an antiseptic gel to lubricate the tips (S sized double flanges for me). It not only helps with deep insertion but in my case also provides for a better seal, increased dampening of ambient noise and not at last can help prevent infections.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #19,177 of 19,246
Guys, is there anyone on here with an ER-4B for sale or know where to look? ..can't find it online anywhere and I'm looking to pick up a pair.

Thanks
ER4B is the first to discontinue in the original ER4 series, so the chances that you can find one are much slimmer than ER4P/S. My advice to you is to find a pair of ER4P or S, then get a properly spec-ed aftermarket ER4B cable (drivers are all the same for three models).

Alternatively, you can find cloned ER4B on Taobao. Not original of course, but sound the same anyway.

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #19,178 of 19,246
ER4B is the first to discontinue in the original ER4 series, so the chances that you can find one are much slimmer than ER4P/S. My advice to you is to find a pair of ER4P or S, then get a properly spec-ed aftermarket ER4B cable (drivers are all the same for three models).

Alternatively, you can find cloned ER4B on Taobao. Not original of course, but sound the same anyway.
Thanks I'll look into that. Most of the cables I see though, are being sold as an interchangeable cable for all three models, and I'm sure that defeats the purpose. They don't seem to have an inline resistor either

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #19,179 of 19,246
Thanks I'll look into that. Most of the cables I see though, are being sold as an interchangeable cable for all three models, and I'm sure that defeats the purpose. They don't seem to have an inline resistor either
You can find 22 ohm (P) and 100 ohm (S) cable at Lunashops / AliExpress under the brand EachDIY. B cable probably need to be custom ordered as there just isn't enough ER4B user around to warrant keeping stock for seller / builder - that also means it won't be particularly cheap or fast to get one. I actually built my own B cable for those exact reasons. ER4B clone these days are also not expensive, usually in the US$70-ish region.

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #19,181 of 19,246
You can find 22 ohm (P) and 100 ohm (S) cable at Lunashops / AliExpress under the brand EachDIY. B cable probably need to be custom ordered as there just isn't enough ER4B user around to warrant keeping stock for seller / builder - that also means it won't be particularly cheap or fast to get one. I actually built my own B cable for those exact reasons. ER4B clone these days are also not expensive, usually in the US$70-ish region.
Thanks. I think I will have to contact the seller to have them build a custom cable for ER4B with the correct circuitry. I picked up an ER4S red and blue model from ebay, but that's just the standard 100ohm cable.

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #19,182 of 19,246
I still love the ER4SR.
20240318-235354.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #19,183 of 19,246
Ok...ok... I splurged for the ER4P's before IEM's became a business, and loved them. Now I read this entire thread and wonder why not buy them again, especially at $220 on Amazon for ER4XR.

My question is on stock vs. other cable....and balanced vs. unbalanced.

My limited knowledge of the balanced debate is that it is largely a function of the source. The balanced output of the source may be superior in terms on noise floor and certainly in output level. I am using a Shanling M6 Ultra as the source, but not sure it will be noticeable. Are microphonics impacted at all by balanced?

I might try the Ety branded balanced cable (for $69) to test the M6U outputs. However I need to buy a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter to fit. But before really search for MMCX to right angle 4.4, I want to determine if it even makes sense.

Aside from the balances vs. unbalanced, why are Ety user's thoughts on aftermarket cables? Any improvement to sound? Lesser microphonics? Waster of money?

Thanks everyone for getting me back on the bandwagon. My well-researched second choice is Moondrop Variations, but for one thing, I know I fit well with the Ety triple flange (Christmas trees! ha - I never heard that before!),,,,and of course huge price difference.

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #19,184 of 19,246
Ok...ok... I splurged for the ER4P's before IEM's became a business, and loved them. Now I read this entire thread and wonder why not buy them again, especially at $220 on Amazon for ER4XR.

My question is on stock vs. other cable....and balanced vs. unbalanced.

My limited knowledge of the balanced debate is that it is largely a function of the source. The balanced output of the source may be superior in terms on noise floor and certainly in output level. I am using a Shanling M6 Ultra as the source, but not sure it will be noticeable. Are microphonics impacted at all by balanced?

I might try the Ety branded balanced cable (for $69) to test the M6U outputs. However I need to buy a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter to fit. But before really search for MMCX to right angle 4.4, I want to determine if it even makes sense.

Aside from the balances vs. unbalanced, why are Ety user's thoughts on aftermarket cables? Any improvement to sound? Lesser microphonics? Waster of money?

Thanks everyone for getting me back on the bandwagon. My well-researched second choice is Moondrop Variations, but for one thing, I know I fit well with the Ety triple flange (Christmas trees! ha - I never heard that before!),,,,and of course huge price difference.

Balanced cables won't affect microphonic which is largely a function of what the cable is made out of. I find that soft/supple and pliable braided cables tend to have the least microphonic which is one of the reasons I purchase aftermarket cables. I also tend not to like the ergonomics of Etys cables so I have 8 core braided cables from Lunashops on both my ER4XRs and ER3XRs. No microphonic, great ergonomics, affordable prices, and they're quite well made.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #19,185 of 19,246
Balanced cables won't affect microphonic which is largely a function of what the cable is made out of. I find that soft/supple and pliable braided cables tend to have the least microphonic which is one of the reasons I purchase aftermarket cables. I also tend not to like the ergonomics of Etys cables so I have 8 core braided cables from Lunashops on both my ER4XRs and ER3XRs. No microphonic, great ergonomics, affordable prices, and they're quite well made.
thanks for the tip....for $36, Lunashop says they make it with whatever termination, so I may as well try it with balanced 4.4 mm. Btw, I have read that Etys cam be finicky with after market MMCX connections. any issue with Lunas? edit: just read your review on Reddit....thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back