If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 28, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #19,201 of 19,246
If you want more treble, you may want to find an old ER4B. Most people find it too bright for commercial recordings, so I am not sure if that would be too much for you or exactly what you're looking for.
I might keep an eye out for it! But to be honest, my ER4XR has treated me so well, that I doubt I'm going to find something better any time soon.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #19,203 of 19,246
I might keep an eye out for it! But to be honest, my ER4XR has treated me so well, that I doubt I'm going to find something better any time soon.

The bass is flat on the ER-4B, so you may not like that aspect of it, either. Between that and the brighter output, you might find the tonal shift too much.

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #19,205 of 19,246
Make them stop!!! OMG - why did I wait so long between Ety's? (Got the LunaShop balanced cable today!)

Disturbia - Sound of Silence / Cyril remix. image this guy inside your head! Killcomic - try the ER's: you would need to be off the chart basshead to need more - imo.

edit: why did i say "in your head..." Bad Wolves cover of Zombie next listen....wow...power bass - imo

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #19,206 of 19,246
Ety (positive) Rant alert

After my fair share of experimenting with various IEMs and open backs and for the last year spending my time with Moondrop Blessing 2, I can say that as far as I'm concerned, the whole "holographic effect" thing and that Ety are "2D/in your head" is utter trash.

To me it seems to be no more than a matter of insertion depth. I've adapted some tips to my Blessing 2 set for example to insert them deeper and guess what? The closer you get to the eardrum, the less space between your eardrum and the tip of the earphone and the less atmospheric space you perceive.

To be clear I'm being facetious there, I'm not equating the two meanings of 'space' but it is an interesting correlation.

Conversely, using my ER2XR set with Shure yellow foams or comply P series tips and not even squeezing the foam, just bunging into my ears a couple millimetres (almost as if they're earbuds) provides as good isolation as my Blessing 2...AND the same holographic soundstage (except better female vocals, sorry Moondrop but ER2 blows away the mids game) and the bass is oowww so yummy.

Honesty just have a listen to something like Split The Atom by Noisia with your ER-whatever set half-way in and fully in. You'll see what I mean. I think there's a certain amount of reflection that takes place in the ear adding to that spacious soundstage width people bang on about and decide to blame earphones rather than fit.

And I bet someone out there would argue you can't separate the two - the fit of the earphone defines the earphone in practical terms. Well no because I just said you can use the ER series as an earbud pretty much (only recommended with foam tips, from my experience anyhow) and the frequency response is phenomenal whilst giving that soundstage presence you were about to dismiss.

Okie crappy rant over. Can anybody confirm either way and add some science to this? Am I insane? I mean I know I am but with regards to this I mean :)

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #19,207 of 19,246
Ety (positive) Rant alert

After my fair share of experimenting with various IEMs and open backs and for the last year spending my time with Moondrop Blessing 2, I can say that as far as I'm concerned, the whole "holographic effect" thing and that Ety are "2D/in your head" is utter trash.

To me it seems to be no more than a matter of insertion depth. I've adapted some tips to my Blessing 2 set for example to insert them deeper and guess what? The closer you get to the eardrum, the less space between your eardrum and the tip of the earphone and the less atmospheric space you perceive.

To be clear I'm being facetious there, I'm not equating the two meanings of 'space' but it is an interesting correlation.

Conversely, using my ER2XR set with Shure yellow flames or comply P series tips and not even squeezing the foam, just bunging into my ears a couple millimetres (almost as if they're earbuds) provides as good isolation as my Blessing 2...AND the same holographic soundstage (except better female vocals, sorry Moondrop but ER2 blows away the mids game) and the bass is oowww so yummy.

Honesty just have a listen to something like Split The Atom by Noisia with your ER-whatever set half-way in and fully in. You'll see what I mean. I think there's a certain amount of reflection that takes place in the ear adding to that spacious soundstage width people bang on about and decide to blame earphones rather than fit.

And I bet someone out there would argue you can't separate the two - the fit of the earphone defines the earphone in practical terms. Well no because I just said you can use the ER series as an earbud pretty much (only recommended with foam tips, from my experience anyhow) and the frequency response is phenomenal whilst giving that soundstage presence you were about to dismiss.

Okie crappy rant over. Can anybody confirm either way and add some science to this? Am I insane? I mean I know I am but with regards to this I mean :)

Thanks, Dave
AFAIK, no to the internal reflection idea. Reverb's delays at that scale is not something we're going to care about when imagining distances or spaciousness. If we did, would we then imagine being in a room the size of our ear canal? Not spacious indeed ^_^.

On the other hand, a deeper insertion will affect the frequency response audibly, and that in turn will play a partial role in interpreting just about anything. So I would rather bet on that, but ultimately, our interpretation of distance or spaciousness come from various sources(including non audio!!!!!) and it's difficult to even know that your experience and mine are the same with in ears/headphones(they probably aren't).

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #19,208 of 19,246
AFAIK, no to the internal reflection idea. Reverb's delays at that scale is not something we're going to care about when imagining distances or spaciousness. If we did, would we then imagine being in a room the size of our ear canal? Not spacious indeed ^_^.

On the other hand, a deeper insertion will affect the frequency response audibly, and that in turn will play a partial role in interpreting just about anything. So I would rather bet on that, but ultimately, our interpretation of distance or spaciousness come from various sources(including non audio!!!!!) and it's difficult to even know that your experience and mine are the same with in ears/headphones(they probably aren't).
Thanks for the info, I can imagine what you mean about the physical space we would care about. Can say though that the soundstage definitely increases for me in width and depth (slightly hate these terms but anyhow they describe it fairly well) when inserted less deeply.

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #19,209 of 19,246
A question regarding the Etymotic tuning.
I'm in a position now where I can't even stand other IEMs. I bought both the Truthear Hexa and the Letshouer S12, but I just keep going back to my ER4XR. I find everything else sibilant now.

My question is, is the treble truly accurate with the Etymotic tuning and everyone else has stupidly elevated treble, or is the Etymotic target curve way too tame in the treble?
I mean, I wish my ER4XR had a touch more treble, but everything else seems to be uncomfortably high in the top end.

just to note- ICYMI/AFAIK Ety's claims of % accuracy have to do with measured performance of a given earphone with respect to their target, not the accuracy of the target itself which involves some questions of philosophy and methodology

depending on the balance of the FR and listening volume, some of the earphones with more treble region response don't necessarily sound all that elevated (for instance Andro and Solaris don't seem to get that many complaints), but do often have a noticably different contrast/balance with the rest of the FR curve- which might require some habituation and a different approach to how someone sets their volume

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #19,210 of 19,246
A question regarding the Etymotic tuning.
I'm in a position now where I can't even stand other IEMs. I bought both the Truthear Hexa and the Letshouer S12, but I just keep going back to my ER4XR. I find everything else sibilant now.

My question is, is the treble truly accurate with the Etymotic tuning and everyone else has stupidly elevated treble, or is the Etymotic target curve way too tame in the treble?
I mean, I wish my ER4XR had a touch more treble, but everything else seems to be uncomfortably high in the top end.
Well well, don't think I ever heard a better reason to try a brown filter with your ER4XR 😍😍😍

I think you'll find like I did with the ER2XR that it's unfairly good!

Apr 1, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #19,211 of 19,246
Well well, don't think I ever heard a better reason to try a brown filter with your ER4XR 😍😍😍

Yeah, the brown filters will definitely bring the treble up.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #19,212 of 19,246

Do you prefer the ER2XR with brown or white filters?

I have the ER2SE and XR and the ER4SR and XR.

You've prompted me to FINALLY play around with the filters.

I have kept the ER2SE and the ER4SR stock as references... I mean that's what they are for right?

I tried the ER2SE with brown filters. Instant upgrade. It makes me wonder if I should try the white filter, but I'm sticking with brown for now. No going back to green here.

On the ER4XR, I assumed brown would make it too bright so I tried red. It was warm and interesting but lost the Etymotic magic clarity. I went for brown. I momentarily thought maybe this is a bit too much, but the extra bit of detail in the treble suddenly became quite addictive. But I won't go for white on these.

That's two wins for brown for now... let's see when I eventually try the white on the ER2XR.

EDIT.... When in Rome.... Just switched to the white on the ER2XR. Clearly these haven't been getting anywhere near as much attention on this thread as they deserve!! Brown was an improvement over the green for sure, but I think white really takes it to the next level... plus the benefits of the dynamic driver! These may become my favourite Etys!

Now I'll spend some time with ER4XR (Brown) and ER2XR (White)....

EDIT 2.

Tuning-wise they are very close, but the ER4XR is the more resolving with greater separation in the headstage. The ER2XR remains more impactful in base and warmer in the lower mids despite the white filter.

Ok back to work.... But it was nice to have a proper ety session after so long. The still hold a special place in my wider collection

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #19,213 of 19,246
Do you prefer the ER2XR with brown or white filters?

I have the ER2SE and XR and the ER4SR and XR.

You've prompted me to FINALLY play around with the filters.

I have kept the ER2SE and the ER4SR stock as references... I mean that's what they are for right?

I tried the ER2SE with brown filters. Instant upgrade. It makes me wonder if I should try the white filter, but I'm sticking with brown for now. No going back to green here.

On the ER4XR, I assumed brown would make it too bright so I tried red. It was warm and interesting but lost the Etymotic magic clarity. I went for brown. I momentarily thought maybe this is a bit too much, but the extra bit of detail in the treble suddenly became quite addictive. But I won't go for white on these.

That's two wins for brown for now... let's see when I eventually try the white on the ER2XR.

EDIT.... When in Rome.... Just switched to the white on the ER2XR. Clearly these haven't been getting anywhere near as much attention on this thread as they deserve!! Brown was an improvement over the green for sure, but I think white really takes it to the next level... plus the benefits of the dynamic driver! These may become my favourite Etys!

Now I'll spend some time with ER4XR (Brown) and ER2XR (White)....

EDIT 2.

Tuning-wise they are very close, but the ER4XR is the more resolving with greater separation in the headstage. The ER2XR remains more impactful in base and warmer in the lower mids despite the white filter.

Ok back to work.... But it was nice to have a proper ety session after so long. The still hold a special place in my wider collection
100% ER2XR with brown or green but holy eardrums you went ER2SE with brown??

Braver than I am, they were too bright with green for me.

Glad to have inspired a deep dive, great to hear your thoughts, massive thanks for sharing :)

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #19,215 of 19,246
100% ER2XR with brown or green but holy eardrums you went ER2SE with brown??

Braver than I am, they were too bright with green for me.

Glad to have inspired a deep dive, great to hear your thoughts, massive thanks for sharing :)

If they are too bright with green, then red might help a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back