If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #19,186 of 19,246
thanks for the yip....for $36, Lunashop says they make it with whatever termination, so I may as try it with balanced 4.4 mm. Btw, I have read that Etys cam be finicky with after marker MMCX connections. any issue with Lunas? edit: just read your review on Reddit....thank you!

Yeah, if you purchase the Etsy compatible cables from Lunashops they come with the Etsy compatible modified MMCX connectors. I think their cables are fantastic. Happy to help and I hope you like the cable! 👍

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #19,187 of 19,246
Aside from the balances vs. unbalanced, why are Ety user's thoughts on aftermarket cables? Any improvement to sound? Lesser microphonics? Waster of money?
I bought this aftermarket cable on AliX (Lunashop) a while ago ... right now they're 3 Euros cheaper than what I paid, not bad.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004657261819.html

That cable is really well made for the money, the MMCX connectors look pretty good as well (under a loupe), no regrets.
Soundwise I noticed a wee bit more airiness and slightly enhanced stage but nothing too obvious (YMMV) and as to microphonics I wear my them over-ear, so no big change either but it sure fits perfectly and looks pretty decent to me.

BTW ... nothing wrong with the original Ety cables but then the balanced (2.5mm) version costs $69 and I prefer my cables a bit thicker anyway ... YMMV.

On my ER4XR ...

1710847301089-01.jpeg

My limited knowledge of the balanced debate is that it is largely a function of the source. The balanced output of the source may be superior in terms on noise floor and certainly in output level. I am using a Shanling M6 Ultra as the source, but not sure it will be noticeable. Are microphonics impacted at all by balanced?

Regarding Etys (single BA w. relatively high impedance) the main advantage of balanced vs. single-ended on many DACs, DAPs and amps is the reduced cross-talk between stereo channels; mainly effecting the spatial reproduction of the signal (perceived soundstage, imaging, separation, ...). Depending on the device the balanced output can have up to ~30-50dB less crosstalk than the single-ended output. (I'm usually running everything, including my Etys in balanced mode.)
Microphonics are just the mechanical cable noise that you hear when e.g. the cable rubs against something, wearing the cable over-ear helps.

Edit ... just been listening to Horace Tapscott's "The Giant is Awakened" with that cable on my 4XR as above (balanced), running from my trusty E1DA 9038S 3K DAC and I hear the alto sax on the left playing way outside of my head with precise imaging and details and respectable timbre ... again pretty amazing for a single BA.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #19,188 of 19,246
I still use and really like the ER4-SR. In fact I used them to record when I was running the streaming series at Bar Bayeux, Brooklyn, during the pandemic. I might look into a different cable if it makes a difference. I'm using them off my iPhone when traveling and also with a Neve RNHP amp at home. I also have HD600 and Audeze LCD-X.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #19,189 of 19,246
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #19,190 of 19,246
I still use and really like the ER4-SR. In fact I used them to record when I was running the streaming series at Bar Bayeux, Brooklyn, during the pandemic. I might look into a different cable if it makes a difference. I'm using them off my iPhone when traveling and also with a Neve RNHP amp at home. I also have HD600 and Audeze LCD-X.
They are still my favorite IEMs.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #19,191 of 19,246
Got em! (ER4 XR).....unusual slight delay from Amazon...maybe just to make me appreciate them more.

As I said earlier, I splurged on the ER4P twenty (??) years ago....loved them.....then moved on. Stopped commuting by train, among other reasons.

So now I wanted a good set of IEM's to go with a newly acquired Shanling DAP. After reading this thread, I thought to give Ety another try.

simply put: THEY ARE GREAT. the triple flange tips work well with me, and the isolation is insane, which then leads to pinpoint accurate soundstage - something I don't remember from years ago. The bass is massively improved from the originals, yet all the incredible detail is still reproduced. I just plugged them in and enjoyed the music without a thought.

for $220....no-brainer. knowing me, I will go through a few catch and (most likely) release IEM's just to confirm to myself. Already thinking Blessing Variations and Senn 600/900.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #19,192 of 19,246
I still love the ER4SR.
20240318-235354.jpg
What is that great red (right) identifier??? was it stock on that version?

I am looking for a tiny red rubber band to mark mine. Found some micro "O rings" on Amazon. think these would work well? (need to find my micrometer!)

o rings

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #19,193 of 19,246
What is that great red (right) identifier??? was it stock on that version?

I am looking for a tiny red rubber band to mark mine. Found some micro "O rings" on Amazon. think these would work well? (need to find my micrometer!)

o rings

I've posted this before, but I think the easiest way to identify is just blue and red sharpie markers. You can fill in the laser etch section. I've always been able to easily remove the color with isopropyl alcohol if I wanted to, but I won't guarantee that.

XD3WzC7.jpg

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #19,195 of 19,246
I've posted this before, but I think the easiest way to identify is just blue and red sharpie markers. You can fill in the laser etch section. I've always been able to easily remove the color with isopropyl alcohol if I wanted to, but I won't guarantee that.

XD3WzC7.jpg
dare i say....brilliant. normally I would go minimalist and only mark the red, but the red/blue is a damn statement to Ety!!

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #19,196 of 19,246
Anyone here still uses the ancient ER4P / ER4S? I just dug up my 10+ years old ER4P and it still sounds phenomenal.

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #19,198 of 19,246
A question regarding the Etymotic tuning.
I'm in a position now where I can't even stand other IEMs. I bought both the Truthear Hexa and the Letshouer S12, but I just keep going back to my ER4XR. I find everything else sibilant now.

My question is, is the treble truly accurate with the Etymotic tuning and everyone else has stupidly elevated treble, or is the Etymotic target curve way too tame in the treble?
I mean, I wish my ER4XR had a touch more treble, but everything else seems to be uncomfortably high in the top end.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #19,199 of 19,246
I'm in a position now where I can't even stand other IEMs. I bought both the Truthear Hexa and the Letshouer S12, but I just keep going back to my ER4XR. I find everything else sibilant now.

My question is, is the treble truly accurate with the Etymotic tuning and everyone else has stupidly elevated treble, or is the Etymotic target curve way too tame in the treble?
I mean, I wish my ER4XR had a touch more treble, but everything else seems to be uncomfortably high in the top end.

If you want more treble, you may want to find an old ER4B. Most people find it too bright for commercial recordings, so I am not sure if that would be too much for you or exactly what you're looking for.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #19,200 of 19,246

Truthear Hexa - me too.......sent straight back to Amazon. Sitting with 1More triple drivers also.....watch the classifieds! ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back