If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #17,641 of 19,256
While 3D printing sounds very cool, it is not practical / economical for any big company to 3D print an one-off for repair unless the item in question is very expensive to begin with.
Plus, 3D printing something that size with any sort of precision, probably only leaves stereolithography(UV light to harden some resin). It isn't famous for making the strongest parts.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #17,642 of 19,256
Thanks for getting back so soon!

I wonder how they sit in the ear, can you maybe post a picture of them sitting in some random (lol privacy) ear? I figured cables of that UTWS3 were not long enough to reach the ER4SR when deeply-inserted?

That UTWS3 is ~cheap;
how does it fare with the ER4SR, noise floor, potential annoyances?
Here you go.

TBH, it all fits very well. They stick out bit due to the fact that I'm using Westone startips. When I've used ety flanges they go in far deeper. But, I will stress that they may look awful, but they are very comfortable.

In terms of noise floor etc, the UTWS3 are pretty impressive. I have yet to hear any noise or interference when using them. The only time I do hear anything hissy, it is usually from old, poor quality tracks coded at 128k. If it wasn't for the lack of eq in the FIIO app, I'd 100% recommend these. If you plan to use something like Neutron player, they are brilliant. If you want to use a streaming service (and are an IOS user) then you will have no control over the sound. Android users will of course fare better. But all in all, the UTWS3's are a great sounding BT adaptor and have boat loads of power.

IMG_6403.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #17,643 of 19,256
Etymotic usually would offer new earpieces for certain price [..] It is not unique to Etymotic but a common practice in the IEM industry.
Yes, like what I was pointing to in:
"[Of course I can see future-unproof arguments of cost-efficiency, etc; but that seldomly encompasses the costs of dumping & dispersing our (e-)waste]"
It is about time that circular design was implemented also in the IEM industry. Especially when talking high-end products of which the drivers themselves are not really aging technically that much.
While 3D printing sounds very cool, it is not practical / economical for any big company to 3D print an one-off for repair unless the item in question is very expensive to begin with. Of course there is also the issue that Etymotic seems to have already moved all their manufacturing oversea.
I meant for the end-user themselves; now connecting the new stem-housing assembly would be the problem, assuming one can make these specifications themselves. I understand this is assumed to be "impractical", "cost-efficient", etc.

Given environmental forcing human kind [including any business] must move to a circular model. In the [high-end] IEM market, this means e.g. learning from returned products [and re-manufacturing them], which reduces R&D efforts. Additionally, lower-batch repairs/remanufacturing methods may have a higher repair cost; as this way the environment is less taxed.

I indeed find it sad that Etymotic has moved their manufacturing in-line with previous-century thinking. I understand why [monetary or directive], but it would have been nice if they could have resisted the temptation as a legendary company.

Apr 5, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #17,644 of 19,256
Here you go.

TBH, it all fits very well. They stick out bit due to the fact that I'm using Westone startips. When I've used ety flanges they go in far deeper. But, I will stress that they may look awful, but they are very comfortable.

In terms of noise floor etc, the UTWS3 are pretty impressive. I have yet to hear any noise or interference when using them. The only time I do hear anything hissy, it is usually from old, poor quality tracks coded at 128k. If it wasn't for the lack of eq in the FIIO app, I'd 100% recommend these. If you plan to use something like Neutron player, they are brilliant. If you want to use a streaming service (and are an IOS user) then you will have no control over the sound. Android users will of course fare better. But all in all, the UTWS3's are a great sounding BT adaptor and have boat loads of power.

Amazing!! I guess that Neutron is some EQ-laden app like PowerAmp. So there I'd be covered. (EDIT: solved by reading :sweat_smile: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...is-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/post-16899457)
I am a tri-flange user, which would make the MMCX connector sit ~1 cm lower. That would be harder to get with your setup I think? Can you actually deposit the UTWS3 + adapter + ER4S in the charging case?
It then is all in the 90-degree-adapter, hmm I would have to check here and there.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #17,645 of 19,256
Speaking about EQ, I use the ER4SR with this PEQ preset
Thanks for sharing that. I suppose the preamp is for balancing out the average magnitude or so? Why would it be different for PEQ/fixed-EQ [other than that the parametrisation is 'less wavy']?
It does indeed quite different :beerchug: 'more modern' was my first association. I read a while back about the reduction in dynamic range in modern times (especially with the advent of digital music. At least relating to pop music there is a definite trend even I can observe as non-audio-professionaal. Aren't you somewhat afraid that this SR-relative V-shape crunches the dynamic range a bit too?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #17,646 of 19,256
Amazing!! I guess that Neutron is some EQ-laden app like PowerAmp. So there I'd be covered. (EDIT: solved by reading :sweat_smile: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...is-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/post-16899457)
I am a tri-flange user, which would make the MMCX connector sit ~1 cm lower. That would be harder to get with your setup I think? Can you actually deposit the UTWS3 + adapter + ER4S in the charging case?
It then is all in the 90-degree-adapter, hmm I would have to check here and there.
Should have mentioned that Neutron Player is a paid app, but for the low price, it is so worth it.

Yes. With tri-flange, the insertion will be much deeper and the earhook etc will be flush with your ear.

Everything also fits neatly in the case with westone tips, though I have to slightly twist the iem on the mmcx axle to fit neatly - no big deal though. With tri-flange I don't think you'll need to do this.

There are other adaptors with sub 90 degree angles, I'm guessing these will work fine too.

In terms of overall convenience vs cost; the UTWS3 ($70) + adaptor ($20) + PEQ app ($5) = $95 is fair value IMO. Plus of course, you can use other 2pin or mmcx iems. Not sure that the UTWS5 will make a massive difference. Whilst I accept it is better overall, unless FIIO add EQ (or better yet, PEQ), I can't justify the $50 price hike.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #17,647 of 19,256
Yes. With tri-flange, the insertion will be much deeper and the earhook etc will be flush with your ear.
There are other adaptors with sub 90 degree angles, I'm guessing these will work fine too.
Thanks, that is really helpful. But the earhook in itself won't be long enough when deep-inserting with such a small adapter, right? I know you can bend the earhook, but the unit behind your ear should hang nice and comfy. Would you suggest some 'longer' adapter? I am sorry to bother with this, but I think those adapters aren't necessarily cheap :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #17,648 of 19,256
Thanks, that is really helpful. But the earhook in itself won't be long enough when deep-inserting with such a small adapter, right? I know you can bend the earhook, but the unit behind your ear should hang nice and comfy. Would you suggest some 'longer' adapter? I am sorry to bother with this, but I think those adapters aren't necessarily cheap :sweat_smile:
I'm on the road for a couple of days, but I'll get you another picture using triple tips (assuming you don't mind waiting). I think they'll be fine - as my ears are pretty large (as you can see).

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #17,649 of 19,256
Has anyone found a cheap, angled replacement cable that doesn't cost $60 like the one on etymotic's site?

Apr 6, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #17,651 of 19,256
Ok so, update on the Comply P-100 tips.. I love them! I feel like foam tips reveal the true potential of Etymotic iems. The triple flanges are "muffled" somehow and you don't even realize its muffled until you try the foams and it opens a whole new dimension in the music you didn't even realize was there. The P-100 is so much more detailed than the ER38-15SM, ER38-18CL and ER38-18 it's ridiculous, those 3 tips have more treble than the P-100 too... it's so strange. I really think triple flanges limit the detail retrieval potential of the Etys...
The P-100's aren't that fussy, yet it is tricky to know if you inserted them too deep or not, so it's best to insert and adjust the fit until you're satisfied with the sound and then remember how deep that is.

Also, I bought a ER4S clone from AliExpress with tsx100 tips, this is based on the ED29689 and has the same internal design as the old ER4S right? Does anybody have a "yu9 ER4S" and is there a detail retrieval difference between the Etymotic branded ER4S?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003712610618.html

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #17,652 of 19,256
Thanks for sharing that. I suppose the preamp is for balancing out the average magnitude or so? Why would it be different for PEQ/fixed-EQ [other than that the parametrisation is 'less wavy']?

Yes, if you you raise a frequency by X dB it gets louder by X dB, but the software can't "magically" generate more loudness than the maximum (0 dBFS), so you may experience signal clipping (thus sound distortion) depending on the content played, that's why you applicate a negative pre-gain (in this manner, instead of raising that one area by X dB, what you're doing is decreasing the volume of all other areas except that one, so that no area becomes louder than the maximum and you avoid signal clipping).

It does indeed quite different :beerchug:'more modern' was my first association. I read a while back about the reduction in dynamic range in modern times (especially with the advent of digital music. At least relating to pop music there is a definite trend even I can observe as non-audio-professionaal. Aren't you somewhat afraid that this SR-relative V-shape crunches the dynamic range a bit too?

More balanced and full sounding in my book, without worsening any particular aspect (the extra sub-bass is only there when the content calls for it and the overall clarity past 5 kHz is much noticeable).

And no, I don't think the FR have anything to do with the dynamic range of the original source in this case, considering this is just a "neutral" tuning (Etymotic's lack of highs past 5 kHz it's quite evident once you try this preset and then turning it off) with a sub-bass boost only noticeable with bass heavy content (and never interfering with the mids).

Apr 10, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #17,654 of 19,256
It’s crazy how good these single BAs can sing and even more crazy the benefits of PEQ!

I’m not kidding, having had and tried a lot of high-end stuff in the past (including Andromedas, KSE1200, IE800, iSINEs, etc) I was absorbed for 7 hours straight with the ER4SRs EQ’d to that target, probably one of my top 3 audio experiences of all time even though my other IEMs are equalized to the same target and sound equally fantastic, there’s something special about the insane detail and isolation provided by the deep insertion of these Etys…
That what I've been doing with my ER3XR's by trying match the 2XR bass boost, With few dips & peak tamed in upper mids to treble. It amazing how much bass they can actually output with detail/speed I expect from planar/electrostatic.

Apr 10, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #17,655 of 19,256
I think one of the main reasons I didn't use mine for years was the lack of bass - that I wrongly assumed was down to the BA trade off. Now thankfully, they will earn their keep :ksc75smile:
It also why stayed with them despite being them being quite thin for my tastes. With 3db 105Hz Low shelf on ER4XR it sounds just as full as other IEM's I had but with Ety isolation & insane detail on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back