If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #17,671 of 19,272
Can anyone here fill me in on the replacement foam tip options for my ER2XR (my understanding is that tips are pretty interchangeable between ER2/3/4)? The stock grey foam ones are my go-to right now but they're a bit tight. That's amazing to me as every normal-insertion IEM out there (i.e. Not Etys) are way too small and fall out, but I digress.

I'm seeing Dekoni Gemini Bulletz are an option and Comply has a couple options too (100-series and some flavor of their professional canal tips). I was considering hunting down some beige Ety tips but I would think memory foam ones will be better and easier to find. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
You're singing to my tune hehe. I'm a huge fan of the Ety foam sound. If the grey tips are your go-to but are a bit tight then the medium size Comply P-Series will be perfect for you :)
Fantastic sound

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #17,672 of 19,272
Can anyone here fill me in on the replacement foam tip options for my ER2XR (my understanding is that tips are pretty interchangeable between ER2/3/4)? The stock grey foam ones are my go-to right now but they're a bit tight. That's amazing to me as every normal-insertion IEM out there (i.e. Not Etys) are way too small and fall out, but I digress.

I'm seeing Dekoni Gemini Bulletz are an option and Comply has a couple options too (100-series and some flavor of their professional canal tips). I was considering hunting down some beige Ety tips but I would think memory foam ones will be better and easier to find. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Should look like this as a long tube with the red inner (red for medium)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220415-092552~2.png
    Screenshot_20220415-092552~2.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #17,674 of 19,272

The beige are excellent and worth hunting down if your only issue with the grey foam is that they are a little tight. For me, they are longer lasting than comply, and also more comfortable. I also like them better than the Dekonis Ive used ... but on different phones and maybe a different model so YMMV.

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #17,675 of 19,272
The beige are excellent and worth hunting down if your only issue with the grey foam is that they are a little tight. For me, they are longer lasting than comply, and also more comfortable. I also like them better than the Dekonis Ive used ... but on different phones and maybe a different model so YMMV.
Thanks! What's your source for buying them? I see earplugstore.com has them and there are knock-offs on eBay but otherwise it's slim pickings.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #17,676 of 19,272
Gotta say though as much as I like beige ones, they still suffer from a poor glue between stem and foam. The foam comes off the stem even when you insert them carefully initially onto the shaft and then always take care to not twist. I still found the foam to come off after about 2 months of daily use :frowning2:

Perhaps I got unlucky and ended up with a dodgy batch. Swear by the comply though anyhow. More comfortable and seem to last for ages. Haven't needed to change my small p-series for about 11 months now. Still seem solid. Fingers crossed I've found the answer :p
I can't afford constant hunting around lol

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #17,677 of 19,272
Gotta say though as much as I like beige ones, they still suffer from a poor glue between stem and foam. The foam comes off the stem even when you insert them carefully initially onto the shaft and then always take care to not twist. I still found the foam to come off after about 2 months of daily use :frowning2:

Perhaps I got unlucky and ended up with a dodgy batch. Swear by the comply though anyhow. More comfortable and seem to last for ages. Haven't needed to change my small p-series for about 11 months now. Still seem solid. Fingers crossed I've found the answer :p
I can't afford constant hunting around lol

I'd say the same, 2 months of daily use. But... these are little foam things you insert deeply in your ears, I don't want to use them for longer than 2 months! Imagine reusing a small piece of foam in your ears after more than 2 months of daily use... why? I mean no one wants to waste money but they are like $1.50 each, it's less than 1 newspaper. (And anyway the comply tips are much more expensive per piece so how long do you need to use them to save one dollar vs. etymotic, like a year?) So I'm good with that personally. And I think they're more comfortable and perhaps better isolating but obviously that's subjective, everyone's ears being different.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #17,678 of 19,272
Thanks! What's your source for buying them? I see earplugstore.com has them and there are knock-offs on eBay but otherwise it's slim pickings.
I don't know earplugstore, but if they are legit and available and not crazy expensive, I'd say go for it. I did ask Etymotic about their availability a few months ago and they said, soon.... so it might be best to check with them directly first. Anyway they are well worth trying. :)

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #17,679 of 19,272
I'd say the same, 2 months of daily use. But... these are little foam things you insert deeply in your ears, I don't want to use them for longer than 2 months! Imagine reusing a small piece of foam in your ears after more than 2 months of daily use... why? I mean no one wants to waste money but they are like $1.50 each, it's less than 1 newspaper. (And anyway the comply tips are much more expensive per piece so how long do you need to use them to save one dollar vs. etymotic, like a year?) So I'm good with that personally. And I think they're more comfortable and perhaps better isolating but obviously that's subjective, everyone's ears being different.
I do agree but I kinda had enough of eventually pulling out a stem and tweezering out the foam from my ears haha :D

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #17,680 of 19,272
I do agree but I kinda had enough of eventually pulling out a stem and tweezering out the foam from my ears haha :D

Yeah... in my experience you can tell when its wearing out and at that point I stop using it, before it comes apart like that. I think its all down to individual ears and ear shapes. I find that the foams (grey) in my right ear wear out more quickly than left, I think its probably a narrower ear canal and so when I twist it its more pressure on it. As I find nothing as isolating and for me its very comfortable I just replace them when I feel that happening.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #17,681 of 19,272

Same here with the small Ety foam. A bit scary at first but tweezers worked.

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #17,682 of 19,272
So for those of you with the small beige tips, if any of you have the bulk pack with a bazillion of them would you be willing to send a pair my way? I'd be happy to send $5 (or what you feel is a fair amount) to you which should more than cover the cost of USPS and the tips. I'm hesitant to shell out $20 for a four-pack when I don't even know if they fit me.

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #17,683 of 19,272
So for those of you with the small beige tips, if any of you have the bulk pack with a bazillion of them would you be willing to send a pair my way? I'd be happy to send $5 (or what you feel is a fair amount) to you which should more than cover the cost of USPS and the tips. I'm hesitant to shell out $20 for a four-pack when I don't even know if they fit me.
Would help but I'm in UK and 4 pairs cost £18 :frowning2:

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #17,685 of 19,272
Here is an updated eq table with both q values and bandwidth values:

ER4S (Green Filters/Triple Flange Tips)
LDURF (LuisDent Uber Reference Flatness) EQ Settings :wink: hehe

Q Values:
HzdBQ
320-11.5
2000-1.52.5
12000-11

Bandwidth Values:
HzdBBW
320-10.94
2000-1.50.6
12000-11.38

I've been switching between this and your suggested cut centered at 150hz on my xr. Both sound good to my ears. The 150hz cut in particular surprised me when listening to The Ocean's Phanerozoic II as it opened things up a bit more.

I'm not versed in these things, but I've tried compensating for the differences between the 4s and 4xr by dropping the 40 and 50hz gains to 2.0 and .50, respectively. Sounds good to me with the green filters and ety triflange tips (long stem).

Probably not many will care about this but I've never really liked the presets on autoeq (even as a starting point), so thought my tinkering would help someone else out. ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back