If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 21, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #17,612 of 19,253
Is there much consensus about the quality of the etymotic iphone dongle vs the apple one? One came with a pair of er2xr's I had and I just found it it.

What do your ears have to say?

Mar 21, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #17,614 of 19,253
Yes. That's probably why I feel like it needs to "warm up/settle in".

Do you still use your ER3SE? I read your post where you compared the ER3SE to the ER4SR and you said the 4SR is more detailed than the 3SE even with added resistance.
I've also seen a few people say that the ER3SE has the same resolution as the ER4SR. I'm thinking of getting this cable https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNOGgRO for my ER3SE because the Penon adapter I got broke the minute I took it outside.
Yes, currently I'm still using ER3SE with 68 ohms adapter. At that time I compared ER3SE + only 24 ohms adapter vs ER4SR from my friend and found ER4SR is brighter and more detailed than ER3SE + 24 ohms, so now I add 68 ohms adapter to approach ER4SR treble level. But unfortunately I can't compare the level of detail with the ER4SR anymore because I don't have it in hand right now.

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #17,615 of 19,253
Yes, currently I'm still using ER3SE with 68 ohms adapter. At that time I compared ER3SE + only 24 ohms adapter vs ER4SR from my friend and found ER4SR is brighter and more detailed than ER3SE + 24 ohms, so now I add 68 ohms adapter to approach ER4SR treble level. But unfortunately I can't compare the level of detail with the ER4SR anymore because I don't have it in hand right now.
I see. ER3SE stock is endgame for me. I don't want the shout of the ER4S and I can already hear all the treble details. Boosting the treble perhaps gives vocals more presence at the expense of some recordings sounding too bright. I think ER3SE stock is just the perfect balance for me.

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #17,617 of 19,253
Apr 2, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #17,620 of 19,253
Apr 2, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #17,621 of 19,253
Since the ER4XR & ER3XR use vented BA's, Has any ever noticed a a difference when EQ'ing the 4XR to the 4SR bass level?. I've just tried this with my ER3XR I notice that It sounds like a ER4SR with deeper but harder hitting bass.

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #17,622 of 19,253
has anyone figured out why the ER38-15SM on the er3se has so much slam? I've tried every other tip and even though they seal better and have more bass, but they don't have any slam. A song that has loud drums is a perfect test for slam.
All I can think of is the 15SM can just go deeper that's why it has slam. You can *feel* the bass not just hear it, even though it has a bass roll off compared to other tips. The ER38-15SM is one of those tips that fit but also don't fit at the same time. I'm fascinated by the sound of it.
Unfortunately they're pretty uncomfortable and have imbalance with my ears, (somewhere in the treble). I'm going to try the Comply P-100, I just can't handle the comfort issues I've had with Etys anymore.

Apr 3, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #17,623 of 19,253
has anyone figured out why the ER38-15SM on the er3se has so much slam? I've tried every other tip and even though they seal better and have more bass, but they don't have any slam. A song that has loud drums is a perfect test for slam.
All I can think of is the 15SM can just go deeper that's why it has slam. You can *feel* the bass not just hear it, even though it has a bass roll off compared to other tips. The ER38-15SM is one of those tips that fit but also don't fit at the same time. I'm fascinated by the sound of it.
Unfortunately they're pretty uncomfortable and have imbalance with my ears, (somewhere in the treble). I'm going to try the Comply P-100, I just can't handle the comfort issues I've had with Etys anymore.
You should try the Westone tips.

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #17,624 of 19,253
I compared 15SM with18CL using the tone generator in both the left and right ears at once. I found that 18CL had better extension on both sides, both in bass and treble. The 18CL also sounds more "organic" and full to my ears if listen to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back