If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 15, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #17,596 of 19,254
ER3SE with a ~23 ohm resistor is great. Perfect amount of treble for me. Does anyone own both ER3SE + Penon 20 ohm adapter and ER4SR? Is the ER4SR worth buying over the ER3SE + resistor?
I'm interested in this. Does anyone know an adapter we can use that gets it to match the ER4SR precisely? I thought I remembered a review a while back where a guy measured and graphed an ER3SE with a resistor and showed how it matched the ER4SR's graph exactly. I'd like to know the amount of resistance he used.

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #17,597 of 19,254
Mar 15, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #17,598 of 19,254
I'm interested in this. Does anyone know an adapter we can use that gets it to match the ER4SR precisely? I thought I remembered a review a while back where a guy measured and graphed an ER3SE with a resistor and showed how it matched the ER4SR's graph exactly. I'd like to know the amount of resistance he used.
You can use PtoS adapter from Etymotic. Or impedance adapter with value around 68-75 ohms to equalize to ER4SR level. Avoid impedance adapter from Dunu.

I've tried using 24 ohms with my ER3SE, and it's still darker than the ER4SR.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #17,601 of 19,254
Have any try the new psb mu4 8 MKII? I saw the older version have a high score for the Harman curve on Reddit but not sure about the new one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220313-202225216.jpg
    Screenshot_20220313-202225216.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #17,602 of 19,254
The plastic nozzle on my ER-4P broke when I was trying to put on a foam tip (similar to the picture below). I found replacement housing on AliExpress. Does anyone here have experience replacing their broken Ety housing or know of someone or a place who does? I have not yet found an easy way of removing the driver from the housing without completely cracking the plastic housing and risk damaging the driver in the process.

@EtyDave, do you have any suggestions?

Attachments

• zNSC3Dx.jpeg
    zNSC3Dx.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #17,603 of 19,254
Have any try the new psb mu4 8 MKII? I saw the older version have a high score for the Harman curve on Reddit but not sure about the new one.
This post seems a bit out of place in an ER4 thread… but I am intrigued. Didn’t know they were coming out with a mk ii, but the timing does make sense.

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #17,604 of 19,254
This post seems a bit out of place in an ER4 thread… but I am intrigued. Didn’t know they were coming out with a mk ii, but the timing does make sense.
I saw someone mentioned the psb m4u 8 in this thread so I just post here. Also, mine should come in tomorrow so I guess I will compare it with the h9i.

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #17,605 of 19,254
I think the ER3SE needs a minute or two to warm up before it will sound like it's supposed to. I got a little scared when I took off my 3SE's tips to clean them and then put them back on after a while and when I went to listen to them sounded super distorty at like 10 seconds into a song. I realized it just needs to warm up for 1-2 minutes and it will iron out the distortion itself. Like this is even noticeable in tone generator. Has anyone else experienced this with their BA Etys?

Mar 20, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #17,606 of 19,254
I think the ER3SE needs a minute or two to warm up before it will sound like it's supposed to. I got a little scared when I took off my 3SE's tips to clean them and then put them back on after a while and when I went to listen to them sounded super distorty at like 10 seconds into a song. I realized it just needs to warm up for 1-2 minutes and it will iron out the distortion itself. Like this is even noticeable in tone generator. Has anyone else experienced this with their BA Etys?
That sounds strange. I have never heard (of) anything like that. A driver does not need to warm up. There is probably some earwax stuck somewhere in the nozzle or in your ear that create that distortion.

Mar 20, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #17,607 of 19,254
That sounds strange. I have never heard (of) anything like that. A driver does not need to warm up. There is probably some earwax stuck somewhere in the nozzle or in your ear that create that distortion.
its completely clean and lint free. But you might be right, as i've never been a believer of burn in or anything of the sort. It's just so weird how it gets distorty when you don't use it for a while then goes away after a minute.

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #17,608 of 19,254
its completely clean and lint free. But you might be right, as i've never been a believer of burn in or anything of the sort. It's just so weird how it gets distorty when you don't use it for a while then goes away after a minute.
Did you happen to clean your Etys or your eartips with any liquid solvents? Did you happen to recently have come from the shower before using them? I've never experienced it with Etymotics but I have with other IEMs that have gotten wet or have been in an extremely humid environment/room for a period of time.

Mar 21, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #17,609 of 19,254
I'm an ER3SE user and have never experienced that. I also often use the tone generator to make sure my ER3SE fits right between the right and left ears.

Mar 21, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #17,610 of 19,254
Did you happen to recently have come from the shower before using them?
Yes. That's probably why I feel like it needs to "warm up/settle in".

I'm an ER3SE user and have never experienced that. I also often use the tone generator to make sure my ER3SE fits right between the right and left ears.
Do you still use your ER3SE? I read your post where you compared the ER3SE to the ER4SR and you said the 4SR is more detailed than the 3SE even with added resistance.
I've also seen a few people say that the ER3SE has the same resolution as the ER4SR. I'm thinking of getting this cable https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNOGgRO for my ER3SE because the Penon adapter I got broke the minute I took it outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back