If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 7, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #17,566 of 19,254
Which slim foams are these? I've ordered the er2 xr and the tuning kit! Already own and love the er4 Sr so these are a safe buy

ER38-14A Small Beige Foam Tips.

But I also use Comply P-Series and they are equally great and easier to get hold of. I think the Ety foams are out of stock in Europe. Seen some on eBay US

By the way 4SR...what a feat of engineering! I think though with brown filters you'll be very pleasantly surprised by just how beautiful the 2XR sounds. And that sub-bass? Don't get me started

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #17,567 of 19,254
Hey there,

I posted a couple weeks back that I am in the process of resizing many of the Knowles one and will show how to make them reusable so u can play with tunings. Will add you to the database to get brown ones if you like
thank you, how much do they go for?

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #17,570 of 19,254
I got an ER3SE after using the ER2SE for around a year, it has much more "resolution", separation and detail than the ER2SE, it has audibly laid back treble but I don't need to strain to hear treble details or anything.
I am very happy with my purchase, I also have a 20 ohm impedance adapter from Penon on the way (bought it because I saw some measurements on this thread of ER3SE with the 20Ω adapter)

I am trying to find the Etymotic brown (1000Ω) acoustic dampers separately in the UK because I want a little more treble, but I can't find them and I don't want to buy the entire expensive kit. I heard the Knowles acoustic dampers don't fit the new Etymotic models, is it too big? Hard to take out? Are these ones real?https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000243519518.html
I'm adding 68 ohms impedance adapter to ER3SE and it's sound very amazing. by memory I think upper mid and treble response ER3SE+68 ohms is close to ER4SR.
I also has 24 ohms, compare back an forth with ER4SR in the past, it's still too darker

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #17,571 of 19,254
I ordered some regular size frosted eartips from Etymotic.com (ER38-15SM) and noticed the material is different. Instead of a frosted coloring, the material is translucent. It's also thinner, softer, and more flexible. I actually prefer this over the old one because it goes into your ear easier because of the thinness and flexibility. The sound is perfect. I perceive the sound to be better actually because of the better fit.

I'm also happy to be back in the Ety game with the purchase of a ER3SE. I find it to be the perfect in-between between the ER4SR and ER4XR. It adds that ever so slight pinch of bass over the ER4SR which I like.

DSC07714_1.JPG

DSC07717_1.JPG

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #17,572 of 19,254
I ordered some regular size frosted eartips from Etymotic.com (ER38-15SM) and noticed the material is different. Instead of a frosted coloring, the material is translucent. It's also thinner, softer, and more flexible. I actually prefer this over the old one because it goes into your ear easier because of the thinness and flexibility. The sound is perfect. I perceive the sound to be better actually because of the better fit.

I'm also happy to be back in the Ety game with the purchase of a ER3SE. I find it to be the perfect in-between between the ER4SR and ER4XR. It adds that ever so slight pinch of bass over the ER4SR which I like.

I might need to try these. The old frosted type are a little firmer and as you say, a little uncomfortable.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #17,573 of 19,254
I could. I have Oppo PM3 which has very low distortion, around 0.04%. Comparing it to ER3SE + 68 ohms >0.5%, PM3 sounds much cleaner. And I'm sure I wasn't fooled by frequency response because PM3 is warmer and less bright than ER3SE + 68 ohms, just cleaner
Speakers can have 3.2% at 900Hz ~ 20KHz both 3rd & 2nd order, I had that thought with the ER4XR I had at 0.98% at 1KHz. But turned out It was noise floor, The Ety ER4S from 1992 ~ 2014 never showed what the THD levels were, so you couldn't tell if you had a unit at 0.18% or one at 0.99% at 1KHz. IEM tests for THD is hard because two found out on the ER2SE thread that the microphone can distort from pressure changes like our eardrum. If a reviewer tried 4 times but got 1.2% at 1KHz fine but if they only did It once with further tests that was annoys me.

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #17,574 of 19,254

Wow very interesting. Is it same material white clear large triple flange?

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #17,576 of 19,254

these look really good and will probably be perfect for me. I was asking Ety customer support about this and they were being really unhelpful telling me these tips do not exist.
Not looking to profit in any way from these since it's just labour of love type thing, so all I'd ask is that shipping is covered from UK to wherever you are :)
im in the uk is it possible to just put it in a letter and post it? lol

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #17,577 of 19,254
these look really good and will probably be perfect for me. I was asking Ety customer support about this and they were being really unhelpful telling me these tips do not exist.

im in the uk is it possible to just put it in a letter and post it? lol
Absolutely yeah, I'll be in touch to get address once they've been manufactured. Gimme a week or so to get them profiled :)

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #17,579 of 19,254

what eartips are these @EtyDave?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back