If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 6, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #17,553 of 19,254
Bass on ER3/4 is not grainy, and not really on the ER2. BUT, the bass on all the Ety's can get overwhelmed if you try to EQ the bass up -- surprisingly, it'ss more obvious on the XR versions vs the SR/SE versions. This what my ears hear -- others may not. I've moved from Ety's however to hybrid designs, and I love the Ikko OH10. I would be tempted to listen to the Ety Evo, but not at its current price.
The ER4XR/ER3XR are still under 0.5% for bass even with a 4 ~ 5db bass boost over the ER4SR.
Yes, ER3/ER4 has distortion around 0,5-1,x %. ER2 has 0,2%. But I can't notice the different of distortion on ER2 and ER3/ER4. I think it should use very very transparent DAC and amp to know the different of distortion ER3/4 vs ER2. And yes, mid is less clean than other driver that has ultra low distortion like planar. But still ok knowing studio monitor usually has distortion >1%
No has ever publicly showed if they can tell <0.1% common in planar to 0.6 ~ >1%. Speakers can get very high like 1.8 ~ 3.2% for mids/treble and 6 ~ 20% for bass yet you just assume it was <1% full range. This is why I'm skeptic when the Grado SR225x is mocked for 20% bass distortion or the ER4XR being 1.3% at 1KHz.

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #17,555 of 19,254
The ER4XR/ER3XR are still under 0.5% for bass even with a 4 ~ 5db bass boost over the ER4SR.

No has ever publicly showed if they can tell <0.1% common in planar to 0.6 ~ >1%. Speakers can get very high like 1.8 ~ 3.2% for mids/treble and 6 ~ 20% for bass yet you just assume it was <1% full range. This is why I'm skeptic when the Grado SR225x is mocked for 20% bass distortion or the ER4XR being 1.3% at 1KHz.

I could. I have Oppo PM3 which has very low distortion, around 0.04%. Comparing it to ER3SE + 68 ohms >0.5%, PM3 sounds much cleaner. And I'm sure I wasn't fooled by frequency response because PM3 is warmer and less bright than ER3SE + 68 ohms, just cleaner

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #17,556 of 19,254
Endgame reached after all these years and so many tryouts of ££££ headphones and IEMs.

ER2XR with brown filters and slim foams.

I'm just bewildered by the fact that it's a pair of £70 single DD IEMs I've settled on 😂
Can do all my mixing, drumming and serious EDM/Psytrance and metal raving with these beauties. So much bass and yummy highs!

Mar 7, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #17,557 of 19,254
I mentioned earlier that I wished 110-degree connectors (Ety-type MMCX male to regular-type MMCX female) were easier to obtain. I forgot to mention why. I'll quote their maker (using Google Translate, cuz I don't speak Japanese):

https://twitter.com/ifoool/status/917951365544075264

I got in touch with the guy who makes these connectors. (I'm not the first here to do so, actually: a search for "e4ua" on Head-Fi brings back several results.) His name is Masao Kamikodai. I told him I'd share his email address with you: info@e4ua.jp

Kamikodai-san doesn't speak English, but Google Translate works better for Japanese than I expected: even humor and metaphors got through! I'll reproduce my exchange with him below, in case you're interested.

📩Email #1 (from me)

題名: Etymotic MMCX connector

メッセージ本文:
MMCX – ER4SR ER4XR MMCX 110度 耳掛けケーブル専用 左右識別ポイント入り

https://e4ua.jp/?p=2827

Is there an online store where I could buy these?

📩Email #2 (from Kamikodai-san)

Hello from Japan.
I am Masao Kamikodai. E4UA founder.

Thank you searching and inquiring me.
But sorry, my English is too poor.
so I can use translation service, please reply freely when you reply.

Now, the question you asked is a plug adapter for Etymotic Research
ER4SR series converts to MMCX receptacle, angle 110 digree.
We have parts in stock, so we can manufacture them.

Regarding the product price, the basic production cost of the 2-pole
plug adapter on the headphone side is 4500 yen / piece (9000 yen on
the left and right).
The parts cost will be charged separately, and the total of the
production cost and the parts cost will be the product cost (excluding
tax and shipping fee).

The body part made of acrylic here has a single color formation and a
matte polish finish as the "basic finish", and buff finish (glossy) is
available as an option.
The option fee for buffing is 2000 yen.

In addition, the acrylic color used is black or transparent as the basic color.
You can specify other than black and transparent as an option.
Other colors need to be toned with pigments, and an option fee of 2000
yen is charged for each color.
Match the colors as much as possible.
Clear red and clear blue are available as universal colors in the
audio world with an option fee of 1000 yen / 2 colors, but you cannot
specify the color. Sometimes it's a little dark and sometimes it's a
little light. I try not to make it too dark or too light, but color is
also a matter of sensation, so it would be helpful if you could close
your eyes a little.

Rough estimate is as follows.

MMCX plug adapter for ER4SR
black, 110 digree, basic finish
MMCX plug 780yen/2p
MMCX receptacle 780yen/2p
Production 9000 yen
Product price 10,560 yen

is.

About shipping and other fee.

Shipping is handled only EMS,
In the case of shipment to USA, the shipping cost will be 2600 yen.
There is no consumption tax, but 10% of the product price will be
charged separately as packing and shipping service charges.

The total amount you will pay is
"Product fee + 10% packing fee + EMS shipping fee"

Accept the quote and enter the production queue with payment via PayPal.

Handling time is 10-25 days (business day) from the day when payment
is received and confirmation is obtained.
Currently, it will be shipped 10-15 working days after payment.

I can read English a little bit and I can also use the translation
system so please feel free to write in English when you reply.

Sincerely,

Masao Kamikodai
538-2-A-3 Kami-Hirooka, Tsukuba,
Ibaraki, 305-0041, Japan

ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー
E4UA
上古代 真雄
305-0041
茨城県つくば市上広岡538-2-A-3
090-5890-4647 (お電話でのご相談は行っておりません)

📩Email #3 (from me)

Your English is much better than my Japanese; all I know are martial arts terms, such as mae geri, and what few words I remember from watching anime. So, er, gomen nasai -- I had to use Google Translate to read your page:

https://e4ua.jp/?p=2827

I still have to decide if I want to buy the ER4SR, to be honest. I didn't want to decide before I knew if there was a way to properly wrap the cable over my ears, to get rid of the microphonics (the noise the cable makes when it rubs again skin, clothes, etc.). I've owned two Ety IEMs -- one of which is still working but has a fixed cable -- and while I liked the sound, I hated the microphonics.

If I buy the ER4SR, I'll buy connectors from you too. (I should not buy any more earphones or headphones, to be honest: I've already bought too many! But I may do it again anyway; it's hard to resist.)

I posted about your connectors on Head-Fi:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...thread-for-you.538615/page-1169#post-16842686
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...thread-for-you.538615/page-1170#post-16842950

Would you mind if I reproduced your email in this forum? Etys have a strong fan base; other people than me may be interested in ordering connectors from you.

Best regards,

PA

P.S. I live in Taiwan, but I don't speak Chinese either, unfortunately. I speak English and French.

📩Email 4 (from Kamikodai-san)

thank you for your reply.
I can hardly read English, so I have your email translated by google teacher

Thank you for posting on Head-Fi.
You may publish my e-mail address "info@e4ua.jp".

You hate microphonic noise, don't you?
(Well, no one likes it ...)
The ER4S and ER4SR series are originally earphones that use the cable
to hang straight, and the housing is small, so it is easy to hear
microphonic noise.
Even if you use this cable with your ear hook, you may still hear it,
but if you make the cable particularly soft, you can eliminate
microphonic noise.
For example, estrone's linum is a very thin, light and soft cable, but
I think that microphonic noise will be eliminated if you use this
cable with your ear hook.

In Japan, people who love audio, especially those who like portable
audio, are said to be "in the swamp."
If you get the supreme earphones and the supreme cable, you can get
out of the swamp, but no one knows if there is a grassland or a swamp
or a cliff at the end of the swamp.

I think my role is to control the temperature of the swamp.
If the swamp you're in is comfortable, you don't have to get out, right? (lol
I also think we are helping you on your journey to find the supreme cable.
If you need my abilities, please let me know.

We look forward to working with you in the future.

Sincerely,
Masao Kamikodai E4UA
ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー
E4UA
上古代 真雄
305-0041
茨城県つくば市上広岡538-2-A-3
090-5890-4647 (お電話でのご相談は行っておりません)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #17,558 of 19,254
In Japan, people who love audio, especially those who like portable
audio, are said to be "in the swamp."
If you get the supreme earphones and the supreme cable, you can get
out of the swamp, but no one knows if there is a grassland or a swamp
or a cliff at the end of the swamp.

I think my role is to control the temperature of the swamp.
If the swamp you're in is comfortable, you don't have to get out, right? (lol
I also think we are helping you on your journey to find the supreme cable.
If you need my abilities, please let me know.
I really like this metaphor. Achieve IEM nirvana, and you'll become so absorbed you'll forget your surroundings.

Mar 7, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #17,559 of 19,254
I really like this metaphor. Achieve IEM nirvana, and you'll become so absorbed you'll forget your surroundings.

... which, considering what's been happening in the world over the past few years, including very recently, is a a very attractive proposition. "Get out of the swamp, you say? No way! I want to sink deeper ... deeper ... and forget that anything else even exists."

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #17,560 of 19,254
I got an ER3SE after using the ER2SE for around a year, it has much more "resolution", separation and detail than the ER2SE, it has audibly laid back treble but I don't need to strain to hear treble details or anything.
I am very happy with my purchase, I also have a 20 ohm impedance adapter from Penon on the way (bought it because I saw some measurements on this thread of ER3SE with the 20Ω adapter)

I am trying to find the Etymotic brown (1000Ω) acoustic dampers separately in the UK because I want a little more treble, but I can't find them and I don't want to buy the entire expensive kit. I heard the Knowles acoustic dampers don't fit the new Etymotic models, is it too big? Hard to take out? Are these ones real?https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000243519518.html

Mar 7, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #17,561 of 19,254
@Rackhour and @Sinocelt want to stay in the matrix despite knowing the truth.
No judgement, I'm just notifying our generous overlords to set you up for promotion.

Mar 7, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #17,563 of 19,254
I got an ER3SE after using the ER2SE for around a year, it has much more "resolution", separation and detail than the ER2SE, it has audibly laid back treble but I don't need to strain to hear treble details or anything.
I am very happy with my purchase, I also have a 20 ohm impedance adapter from Penon on the way (bought it because I saw some measurements on this thread of ER3SE with the 20Ω adapter)

I am trying to find the Etymotic brown (1000Ω) acoustic dampers separately in the UK because I want a little more treble, but I can't find them and I don't want to buy the entire expensive kit. I heard the Knowles acoustic dampers don't fit the new Etymotic models, is it too big? Hard to take out? Are these ones real?https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000243519518.html
Hey there,

I posted a couple weeks back that I am in the process of resizing many of the Knowles one and will show how to make them reusable so u can play with tunings. Will add you to the database to get brown ones if you like

Mar 7, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #17,565 of 19,254
Endgame reached after all these years and so many tryouts of ££££ headphones and IEMs.

ER2XR with brown filters and slim foams.

I'm just bewildered by the fact that it's a pair of £70 single DD IEMs I've settled on 😂
Can do all my mixing, drumming and serious EDM/Psytrance and metal raving with these beauties. So much bass and yummy highs!
Which slim foams are these? I've ordered the er2 xr and the tuning kit! Already own and love the er4 Sr so these are a safe buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back