If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 9, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #17,581 of 19,246
Am I crazy to like the ER3XR’s tonality over the ER2XR’s one ? The dash of warmth in the ER3XR’s sound makes it sound more natural .

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #17,582 of 19,246
I have an ety addiction. Er3 Xr, er4 se and now ordered the er2 xr. Do I need the er4 xr?!

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #17,583 of 19,246
Orange and Brown Knowles filters just arrived, ready for resizing 🤘

Attachments

• 20220309_150401.JPG
    20220309_150401.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #17,585 of 19,246
Mar 9, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #17,586 of 19,246
I have an ety addiction. Er3 Xr, er4 se and now ordered the er2 xr. Do I need the er4 xr?!
If you search the combination of < ER3XR ER4XR ohms > you can find a lot of contentions that adding a 20 ohm impedance adaptor to the ER3XR makes it sound like the the ER4XR.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ding_to_measurements_the_er3xr_can_become_an/
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/dgiwvp/family_feud_notes_on_etymotic_er2xr_vs_er3xr_vs/

The adapter is about $8 from Penon. The ER4XR are also supposed to be more precisely matched, but I don't hear any channel imbalance in my ER3XR.

Mar 9, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #17,587 of 19,246
what eartips are these @EtyDave?

Those are the new 3-Flange Eartips. We tooled them up recently and we're phasing out the older versions. The material is indeed softer and we hope that folks like them better. It's the same material as the 2-flange tips and we've gotten good feedback on those.

Mar 10, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #17,589 of 19,246
Those are the new 3-Flange Eartips. We tooled them up recently and we're phasing out the older versions. The material is indeed softer and we hope that folks like them better. It's the same material as the 2-flange tips and we've gotten good feedback on those.
Thanks for the answer Dave. Curious to try it.

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #17,590 of 19,246
Hi, can the ER2XR and ER4XR use the same cords/connectors? Are they interchangeable? Thanks.

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #17,591 of 19,246
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #17,592 of 19,246
ER3SE with a ~23 ohm resistor is great. Perfect amount of treble for me. Does anyone own both ER3SE + Penon 20 ohm adapter and ER4SR? Is the ER4SR worth buying over the ER3SE + resistor?

Also mini rant/review about the ER2SE vs ER3SE
I feel like throwing the ER2SE in the trash. It is tonally good, but resolution wise it is a disaster. The ER2SE can't separate instruments properly and struggles a lot with bass decay; the ER2SE can't produce bass notes fast enough to catch up to the music. I recall @Blackwoof talking about this too. Before I even owned the ER3SE I noticed that it was a issue that was bothering me, that's how noticeable it is. I remember trying to reduce the bass around 10dB on the ER2SE because the bass kept on muddying the entire range cause of its excessively slow decay.
The ER3SE on the other hand, separates instruments, handles bass, and retrievals details like a champ. Despite being darker than the ER2SE I hear treble details I didn't hear before. About treble... the ER2SE has a hazy quality to the treble, this is probably just how "low technical ability treble" sounds. I think the ER3SE's treble always sounds better despite being darker. I've tried adjusting the treble on the ER2SE down to the level of the ER3SE's but it sounds totally different. When you add treble to the ER3SE either through high shelf EQ or a ~23 ohm resistor, it sounds AMAZING. The ER2SE's treble always sounds "low resolution".

"Headstage" is one thing that shocked me with the ER3SE. It tricks me into thinking the music is coming from "outside". It has similar spaciousness to my open-back AKG K612 Pro's actually, but I prefer using the ER3SE more because I like a more defined center image. For gaming, the ER3SE is 10/10, it feels so lifelike and like I am actually in the scene, I don't even use my open backs for gaming anymore because the ER3SE is just too good for gaming. The ER2SE on the other hand, has extremely claustrophobic headstage, and music sounds too superstereo and unlistenable when going back and forth comparing the ER2SE vs ER3SE because the difference is so noticeable so it's hard to go back to the ER2SE's claustrophobic representation.

For anyone wondering, yes I have replaced the filter and made sure it's completely clean, yes I have tried the same exact tips when comparing, and yes I have tried different cables. ER2SE sounded the same no matter what

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #17,593 of 19,246
Man I really loved my ER2SE. I felt they have a more natural timbre than my ER4XR. They just can't compete on details.

It's a shame one of my ER2 dies after 10 mins or so of use these days. Tried drying them out as much as possible but issue still happens. They are well outside of the warranty period so I'll just have to live with the ER4 only now unless I see a set of ER2 for really cheap.

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #17,594 of 19,246
ER3SE with a ~23 ohm resistor is great. Perfect amount of treble for me. Does anyone own both ER3SE + Penon 20 ohm adapter and ER4SR? Is the ER4SR worth buying over the ER3SE + resistor?

I feel like throwing the ER2SE in the trash. It is tonally good, but resolution wise it is a disaster. The ER2SE can't separate instruments properly and struggles a lot with bass decay; the ER2SE can't produce bass notes fast enough to catch up to the music. I recall @Blackwoof talking about this too. Before I even owned the ER3SE I noticed that it was a issue that was bothering me, that's how noticeable it is. I remember trying to reduce the bass around 10dB on the ER2SE because the bass kept on muddying the entire range cause of its excessively slow decay.
The ER3SE on the other hand, separates instruments, handles bass, and retrievals details like a champ. Despite being darker than the ER2SE I hear treble details I didn't hear before. About treble... the ER2SE has a hazy quality to the treble, this is probably just how "low technical ability treble" sounds. I think the ER3SE's treble always sounds better despite being darker. I've tried adjusting the treble on the ER2SE down to the level of the ER3SE's but it sounds totally different. When you add treble to the ER3SE either through high shelf EQ or a ~23 ohm resistor, it sounds AMAZING. The ER2SE's treble always sounds "low resolution".

"Headstage" is one thing that shocked me with the ER3SE. It tricks me into thinking the music is coming from "outside". It has similar spaciousness to my open-back AKG K612 Pro's actually, but I prefer using the ER3SE more because I like a more defined center image. For gaming, the ER3SE is 10/10, it feels so lifelike and like I am actually in the scene, I don't even use my open backs for gaming anymore because the ER3SE is just too good for gaming. The ER2SE on the other hand, has extremely claustrophobic headstage, and music sounds too superstereo and unlistenable when going back and forth comparing the ER2SE vs ER3SE because the difference is so noticeable so it's hard to go back to the ER2SE's claustrophobic representation.

For anyone wondering, yes I have replaced the filter and made sure it's completely clean, yes I have tried the same exact tips when comparing, and yes I have tried different cables. ER2SE sounded the same no matter what
I have an ER3SE and a 24 ohm impedance adapter. They are still too dark when compared to the ER4SR. ER4SR is so bright!
Adding 68 ohms to the ER3SE brings it closer to the ER4SR. You can try it with a PtoS adapter too.

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #17,595 of 19,246

Yep. I noticed that with ER2SE with a 4db bass shelf mimicking the ER4XR, The DD's decay in the bass would linger much longer than normal giving the false impression of sub bass punch. But what confused me was how 4db 159Hz low shelf with 9.8db slope sounded like a 8db bass boost???. I've noticed before the ER2SE/XR lack detail performance to the ER4PT/ER3SE, Where It feels like the DD hit a wall while the ER3SE still has the microscope tier detail even though It darker than the ER4SR/XR.

Could be slight differences from ER4SR vs ER3SE mainly from the ER3 line up being darker. But at £80 if I was import from US Amazon that better deal than the ER2XR, Since the ER3SE/XR are just darker tuned versions of the ER4 line up and still keep the benefits of BA drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back