If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 1, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #17,536 of 19,246
Oh how come? They fit my EVO great
It is because of the angle of the tips. The softer dual-flange tips just sit better when using EVO.

Mar 1, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #17,538 of 19,246
I mentioned earlier that I wished 110-degree connectors (Ety-type MMCX male to regular-type MMCX female) were easier to obtain. I forgot to mention why. I'll quote their maker (using Google Translate, cuz I don't speak Japanese):
MMCX ER4SR / ER4XR Ultra-short conversion adapter with left and right identification points Normally, it is manufactured at about 80 degrees, but I got a picture of the wearing state because I absolutely want to use it with an ear hook cable, and I made it at 110 degrees # E4UA
https://twitter.com/ifoool/status/917951365544075264

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #17,539 of 19,246
Do the er3/4 have more distortion than the er2? Do the ety bas sound more grainy in the mids due to the distortion?
No, It just something Reddit & folk who do THD measurements made up without any backing. The ER3/ER4 rate <0.28 ~ 0.85% at 1KHz which mean there no issue, Never got the distort at high SPL on my ER3XR either.

Mar 1, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #17,540 of 19,246
Do the er3/4 have more distortion than the er2? Do the ety bas sound more grainy in the mids due to the distortion?
Bass on ER3/4 is not grainy, and not really on the ER2. BUT, the bass on all the Ety's can get overwhelmed if you try to EQ the bass up -- surprisingly, it'ss more obvious on the XR versions vs the SR/SE versions. This what my ears hear -- others may not. I've moved from Ety's however to hybrid designs, and I love the Ikko OH10. I would be tempted to listen to the Ety Evo, but not at its current price.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #17,541 of 19,246
Yes, ER3/ER4 has distortion around 0,5-1,x %. ER2 has 0,2%. But I can't notice the different of distortion on ER2 and ER3/ER4. I think it should use very very transparent DAC and amp to know the different of distortion ER3/4 vs ER2. And yes, mid is less clean than other driver that has ultra low distortion like planar. But still ok knowing studio monitor usually has distortion >1%

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #17,542 of 19,246
Bass on ER3/4 is not grainy, and not really on the ER2. BUT, the bass on all the Ety's can get overwhelmed if you try to EQ the bass up -- surprisingly, it'ss more obvious on the XR versions vs the SR/SE versions. This what my ears hear -- others may not. I've moved from Ety's however to hybrid designs, and I love the Ikko OH10. I would be tempted to listen to the Ety Evo, but not at its current price.
I have a spare pair of 'like new' EVOs on sale at present. They're up for £350 but I'm always open to offers :)

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #17,544 of 19,246
Potentially stupid question regarding balanced cables for the ER4XR.

I picked up a Qudelix 5K the other day, and as you all may know, it supports both 3.5mm unbalanced and 2.5mm balanced outputs. I want to pick up a balanced cable for the 4XR, and conveniently enough, Etymotic sells one on their store.

Here's the question. Since the buds themselves are not easy to remove from the proprietary MMCX connectors, and since it is recommended to minimize disconnecting and reconnecting the buds, I am considering the idea of also buying a 2.5mm-to-3.5mm jack adapter alongside the cable so that I can still keep using my Etys with other devices, namely my iPods. Will this impact my listening experience?

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #17,545 of 19,246
Potentially stupid question regarding balanced cables for the ER4XR.

I picked up a Qudelix 5K the other day, and as you all may know, it supports both 3.5mm unbalanced and 2.5mm balanced outputs. I want to pick up a balanced cable for the 4XR, and conveniently enough, Etymotic sells one on their store.

Here's the question. Since the buds themselves are not easy to remove from the proprietary MMCX connectors, and since it is recommended to minimize disconnecting and reconnecting the buds, I am considering the idea of also buying a 2.5mm-to-3.5mm jack adapter alongside the cable so that I can still keep using my Etys with other devices, namely my iPods. Will this impact my listening experience?
Could this potentialy damage the phones or player? I know you aren't suposed to use an adapter to go from unbalanced to balanced, but not sure of the reverse.

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #17,546 of 19,246
I seriously doubt you'd hear any degradation.
I know I don't, but I do not have golden ears :wink:

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #17,547 of 19,246
Could this potentialy damage the phones or player? I know you aren't suposed to use an adapter to go from unbalanced to balanced, but not sure of the reverse.
Connecting SE headphone cable to a balanced jack in the amp (with adapter) could damage the amp.
Connecting balanced headphone cable to SE output of an amp is totally safe!

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #17,548 of 19,246
You can easily remember which solution is fine by considering that any single ended IEM circuit can be imagined as:
drivers(2+2=4 pins)=> balanced cable(4 wires) => single ended cable(3 wires) => single ended amp(3 pins).
Single ended amps wouldn't exist if that solution didn't work fine.

In the other direction(with a balanced amp, you have a 4 pin solution at both ends. Intuitively you can guess that a 3 wire cable in between isn't going to be cool.
Also it's Egon Spengler in 1984 who postulated: "don't cross the streams. It would be bad". He was clearly talking against separate emitters joining together. So if the amp has more pins than the cable, it will be bad.

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #17,549 of 19,246
do the er3 and er4 have the same resolution?

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #17,550 of 19,246

Users who are viewing this thread

Back