If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 15, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #15,031 of 19,246
Any news on what's going on over at Ety HQ? I remember a few people wrote that queries weren't being responded to (from late last year AFAIK), so I wondered if anything has changed. Would be a shame if they stopped operating in the same capacity.
I have no direct information, but their website is allowing ordering again, and everything seems to be in stock. (For several months, you couldn't order anything on their web site - they simply referred you to amazon.com. And before that, they were frequently out of stock on many things, like replacement cables.)

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #15,032 of 19,246
I got my case handled after 12 months minus a few days.
Seems to me that the support channels don't work very well since Lucid Audio came in to the picture. Worked out great in the end and I got compensated.
Now I'm still waiting for the balanced cable but that stuff takes time for Etymotic and it has always been that way.
Yikes. I wrote about an issue with a replacement earphone going out. Ended up upgrading to the er4 after finding a good deal so no worries there (I live in AU and shipping is expensive), just found it odd that I never heard back.

Apr 16, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #15,033 of 19,246
Once again I'm back in the Etymotic fold!

Over the years I've had the Er4s, er4p and both the sr and xr. I sold the sr and xr as I felt I was having fit issues and also wanted to try a few other options such as customs.

Recently I've noticed my right ear being less of a problem with fit so decided to give the Ety's another spin as I've missed their sound. Bought the 4sr yesterday, refurb model from hifiheadphones.

Listening this morning using my Ifi idsd black label micro and it's a wonderful match up. Also using the foam tips which for me makes the fit far more comfortable.

Nice to be back

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #15,037 of 19,246
Nice comment. Most ety folks dont bass them up. Nice to know it works.

Low shelfs really make use of the ER*S/SR flat line bass. I picked 125Hz since it gives the best sound without colouring the lower mids much. On Reddit i had a few try to argue that BA's can't do bass, Then try to shift the subject when EQ is brought up same with the fast decay of the drivers. Heck one tried claiming oratory1990 ER4SR EQ was wrong despite him having high tech gear for mesuring/testing, Because he couldn't come up with a sane reason why it couldn't handle 10db.

The newest ER4SR profile by him, Is using a 10db 155Hz low shelf. As if this isn't anymore proof why i don't get IEMs with 4 woofer BA drivers, Since the 4SR/3SE drivers are slightly smaller than old ER4S ED based one. lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jqzmrleunywie1/Etymotic ER-4SR (USound Target).pdf?dl=0

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #15,038 of 19,246
Yin and Yang - Ety Style
(ER4SR and ER-4P)

93615244_779053132624856_2896177974762012672_n.jpg

94030537_709329709812911_5167613842053660672_n.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #15,039 of 19,246
With a +6db bass boost the bass is just as full as other headphones i had, But still keeps the detail/clarity that Etys have.
I didn't think this was possible until upgrading to the er4xr from the hf3. The ER4's respond to EQ'ng much better (to my ears) and I'm not sure why this is. You won't get you earth shattering bass, but it's pleasing. I like doing this with uptempo heavy metal in particular.

Apr 17, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #15,040 of 19,246
I didn't think this was possible until upgrading to the er4xr from the hf3. The ER4's respond to EQ'ng much better (to my ears) and I'm not sure why this is. You won't get you earth shattering bass, but it's pleasing. I like doing this with uptempo heavy metal in particular.

Pretty much backs up Don's argument that there no gains with multi BA. The ER4/ER3 driver can handle or retuned for much bassier tunings with no issues. With a 125 ~ 150Hz shelf the ER4SR pretty much fit for metal, EDM, etc.

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #15,041 of 19,246
Picked up a used mojo from a user on here that was selling theirs to pair up with my ER4XR. Wow what a wonderful combination this is! The improvements to imaging are extremely welcomed as I feel like they're no longer so two-dimensional. There's much more space between instruments now. I feel like they're different IEMs now.

What is everyone's favorite dac/amp to pair with?

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #15,042 of 19,246
Picked up a used mojo from a user on here that was selling theirs to pair up with my ER4XR. Wow what a wonderful combination this is! The improvements to imaging are extremely welcomed as I feel like they're no longer so two-dimensional. There's much more space between instruments now. I feel like they're different IEMs now.

What is everyone's favorite dac/amp to pair with?
iQube v5

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #15,043 of 19,246
I wanted to post a quick Mini review of the new tips as well. I've hesitated making a review yet because I'm still undecided but basically, the new tips generally feel a bit more comfortable most of the time. however there are caveats. With the new tips I feel like I get a less consistent seal and have to thus make sure they're in deep enough. but due to the shape it's easy to get too deep and have sharp pressure against the ear canal.

i feel like the original triple flange tips seal more easily and consistently however they are always deep whereas sometimes the new tips seal well while not being as deep and they feel and sound fantastic. So it's hard for me to say that they are consistently better or worse I feel like they are at least an excellent additional option for someone who might be having issues to try. But I will probably keep using both styles and maybe one day all eventually settle on one of them. my assumption would be the original tips as they just seem to have a more consistent seal for me.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #15,045 of 19,246
I wanted to post a quick Mini review of the new tips as well. I've hesitated making a review yet because I'm still undecided but basically, the new tips generally feel a bit more comfortable most of the time. however there are caveats. With the new tips I feel like I get a less consistent seal and have to thus make sure they're in deep enough. but due to the shape it's easy to get too deep and have sharp pressure against the ear canal.

i feel like the original triple flange tips seal more easily and consistently however they are always deep whereas sometimes the new tips seal well while not being as deep and they feel and sound fantastic. So it's hard for me to say that they are consistently better or worse I feel like they are at least an excellent additional option for someone who might be having issues to try. But I will probably keep using both styles and maybe one day all eventually settle on one of them. my assumption would be the original tips as they just seem to have a more consistent seal for me.

Just got a pair of ER4XR that came with the dual flange tips, and I kinda feel the same. They seal well and are mostly comfortable, but they don't go as deep even with the smallest one, so the earphones stick out more. So I find that with some head movements or maybe a gentle tug on the cable, they seem to move around more and loosen up easier than the original triple flange ones. So i'm leaning towards the triple flange a bit more, but will keep switching to see it goes. Maybe I'm more used to those than I originally thought since I had the ER2XR for a while. I find the triple flange pretty comfortable once I have them inserted properly, the minor discomfort I have is just from insertion and removal, especially when I do that too frequently. :joy:

UUpObQO.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back