If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 18, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #15,046 of 19,246
Picked up a used mojo from a user on here that was selling theirs to pair up with my ER4XR. Wow what a wonderful combination this is! The improvements to imaging are extremely welcomed as I feel like they're no longer so two-dimensional. There's much more space between instruments now. I feel like they're different IEMs now.

What is everyone's favorite dac/amp to pair with?
I'm an external dac/amp noob, but I've tried the Dragonfly Cobalt/Red with the XR (through my Samsung a50). It does give the XR a slightly more precise sound and sounds that shift between left and right channels were a bit more distinct (is there a specific reason for this?). DF Red is a bit more warm. Both were immediately more preferable than what my phone is capable of.

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #15,048 of 19,246
Just got a pair of ER4XR that came with the dual flange tips, and I kinda feel the same. They seal well and are mostly comfortable, but they don't go as deep even with the smallest one, so the earphones stick out more. So I find that with some head movements or maybe a gentle tug on the cable, they seem to move around more and loosen up easier than the original triple flange ones. So i'm leaning towards the triple flange a bit more, but will keep switching to see it goes. Maybe I'm more used to those than I originally thought since I had the ER2XR for a while. I find the triple flange pretty comfortable once I have them inserted properly, the minor discomfort I have is just from insertion and removal, especially when I do that too frequently. :joy:
Where can you get an ER4Xr with double flange tips in Europe?
Most seem like the old green box so I assume they don’t contain the new double flange tips?
Considering replacing my SR with an XR version!

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #15,049 of 19,246
Where can you get an ER4Xr with double flange tips in Europe?
Most seem like the old green box so I assume they don’t contain the new double flange tips?
Considering replacing my SR with an XR version!

Not sure about that though, sorry. Mine was shipped in from US. Maybe you can try them on Amazon, and check with them prior to buying to make sure? :joy:

Apr 24, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #15,050 of 19,246
Has anybody actually confirmed the internals of the differences between ER3XR and ER4XR? I've seen the measurements that show that an ER3XR can have the same frequency response as an ER4XR with an added resistor, so does that mean they are essentially the same in that case? Or are they using completely different drivers?

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #15,051 of 19,246
Has anybody actually confirmed the internals of the differences between ER3XR and ER4XR? I've seen the measurements that show that an ER3XR can have the same frequency response as an ER4XR with an added resistor, so does that mean they are essentially the same in that case? Or are they using completely different drivers?
i'm almost positive etymotic has verified they are different drivers.

Apr 25, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #15,052 of 19,246
Apr 26, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #15,054 of 19,246
i'm almost positive etymotic has verified they are different drivers.
Agree. There may be other places in this thread, but this post confirms that while they are similar they are indeed different.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...is-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/post-13928125

Yeah, I saw those posts. I'm just curious about the extent of the difference. Is it enough to say that the ER4 is more resolving than the ER3? I'm sure you guys have seen that the FR of the ER3XR can be made to be the same as the ER4XR with an appropriate impedance adapter. I'm wondering, if the FR is the same, whether the ER4/ER3 are essentially the same in their driver capability when it comes to stuff outside of FR (resolution, namely)

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #15,055 of 19,246
So what's the deal with ER3SE vs ER4SR? Are they the same driver? One can make the FR the same with a 23 ohm or 75 ohm adapter, but are technicalities up to par on ER3SE?

Asking because I recently bought one to replace my ER4S (er4p with p2s adapter) which developed distortion when cranked up loud on one channel, and these two are definitely not the same. The ER3SE (with P to S adapter) has less peaky mids, but the ER4S has much better treble extension and texture, as well as imaging depth. I thought they were equal for a while as I was using them both off just my phone, but now I sat down with a good amp and the difference is immediately obvious.

The question is, is there such a difference between ER3SE+adapter and ER4SR? Anyone with ER4S and ER4SR could also chime in if they notice a similar difference to what I heard.

EDIT: I see someone already asking this above me, oh well :)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #15,056 of 19,246
Apr 27, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #15,059 of 19,246
Both of those seem quite overpriced :frowning2:

Wow, as I recall the ER4SR/XR 3.5mm replacement cable was expensive at $50 before, now it is $80! :face_palm:

Also, the BT adapter cable will need to be seriously good sounding to justify the $170 price.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #15,060 of 19,246
For me it has to be seriously good sounding to justify alligator clips on my shirt instead of some less wonky (and irritation-prone) arrangement.

IIRC the package-deal prices were going to be better – smaller difference between the wired and wireless versions of the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back