If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 28, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #15,061 of 19,243
Yeah, I saw those posts. I'm just curious about the extent of the difference. Is it enough to say that the ER4 is more resolving than the ER3? I'm sure you guys have seen that the FR of the ER3XR can be made to be the same as the ER4XR with an appropriate impedance adapter. I'm wondering, if the FR is the same, whether the ER4/ER3 are essentially the same in their driver capability when it comes to stuff outside of FR (resolution, namely)

Going by john impressions, The ER3 is pretty much the ER4PT. I hear no differince when the treble on the 3SE is EQ'd to 4db with a 6K high shelf.

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #15,062 of 19,243
I sooo want to order the 2.5mm bal cable but i have to wait till they get the dual flange tips in as well. Dont want to pay for shipping + customs to sweden two times... I hope some EU store like Thomann will get them soon.

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #15,064 of 19,243
Just got a pair of ER4XR that came with the dual flange tips, and I kinda feel the same. They seal well and are mostly comfortable, but they don't go as deep even with the smallest one, so the earphones stick out more. So I find that with some head movements or maybe a gentle tug on the cable, they seem to move around more and loosen up easier than the original triple flange ones. So i'm leaning towards the triple flange a bit more, but will keep switching to see it goes. Maybe I'm more used to those than I originally thought since I had the ER2XR for a while. I find the triple flange pretty comfortable once I have them inserted properly, the minor discomfort I have is just from insertion and removal, especially when I do that too frequently. :joy:

UUpObQO.jpg
For me it's the other way around. My Ettys goes further in with the small dual flange than the small tri flange tips. Just wanted to highlight this since all ears are different :)

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #15,065 of 19,243
That Etymotic direct website for Europe so to speak seems useless :frowning2:
EU is really only Amazon I guess :)
Probably Thomann will get them, they carry all other spare parts for Ettys as far as i can tell.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #15,066 of 19,243
Woow. That's pricey Lucid is getting greedy ? I guess.

May 1, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #15,067 of 19,243
I have looked at some reviews of the ER4XR and I see a lot of reviews saying that's it not a bassy IEM. And only around +4db bass boos from ER4SR.
The thing is that I am very used to the sound of the ER4SR and sure they sound bass light on some tracks. My remedy for that is to boost the bass by 0.2 - 0.4. db and that's plenty of bass for me even on the thin sounding tracks. If I set +4db bass boost (via eq) it's insane amounts!

I must be a bass allergic?

May 2, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #15,069 of 19,243
Hi guys!

I am the owner of some ER3SE, but before I was an ER4 of which I still have a set of tips of gray ER-18-3.

https://www.etymotic.com/er38-18.html

I would like to buy some games in Europe, and I can only find the model

https://www.etymotic.com/er38-18cl-4sx.html

Although they work well, I like the softness and feel of the gray tip more.

Does anyone know where I could find them?

Thanks for keeping this great post!

May 2, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #15,070 of 19,243
Totally agree. Perhaps one way to "minimize" the damage is to try and get the ER2XR. It will let you try out the fit and the ety sound on a budget.

Looks like ety lowered the price on Amazon to $120. If I pull the trigger and like the fit, just how close are they to the er4xr? I realize the 4 series is a BA and the 2s are DD. 90%? 80%?

May 2, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #15,071 of 19,243
I just did the 120 amazon deal doe the ER2XR, this will be my first Ety. Looking forward to seeing how it will match my gear and compare to others IEMs in my rotation.

May 2, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #15,072 of 19,243
I just did the 120 amazon deal doe the ER2XR, this will be my first Ety. Looking forward to seeing how it will match my gear and compare to others IEMs in my rotation.

The er4xr is $50 off at the moment. Still debating which to get.

May 2, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #15,073 of 19,243
Looks like ety lowered the price on Amazon to $120. If I pull the trigger and like the fit, just how close are they to the er4xr? I realize the 4 series is a BA and the 2s are DD. 90%? 80%?
I think they are distinct enough from each other that they both have their own strengths and weaknesses. When it comes down to pure detail retrieval/resolution, I think that's where you could potentially talk about the differences in percentages, and I'd be comfortable saying that ER2XR provides like ~85% to 90% of the detail resolution of the ER4XR. ER2XR has a little bit smoother and thicker sound. The biggest obvious tuning difference is in bass, ER2XR has much more prominent bass, with a big upturn in the sub bass region, it actually gives a nice little amount of impact, whereas the ER4XR bass is much more about just what you can hear, less about physical impact. ER4XR is speedier and more resolving overall, but some people think it sounds thin.

If you're curious and can only buy one, I'd say go with the ER2XR. If the fit suits you, it's a really nice IEM. If you don't like the fit, or you think you'd prefer the micro detail and clarity improvements that the ER4XR provides, I think you'd have a pretty easy time selling the ER2XR without taking too big of a financial loss. You could either move on to something else altogether, or apply that forward towards an ER4XR.

I bought the ER2XR for $113 and I liked it so much I decided to buy the ER4XR immediately after, and I'm happy that I have both, they provide different experiences imo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back