If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 23, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #13,250 of 19,246
Do it slow and you will eventually get them out without a problem. I reckon I have probably plugged and unplugged mine for at least hundred of times. The first time is usually the tightest but ultimately it might become slightly loose over the time, but there are ways to mitigate that as well.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #13,251 of 19,246
In order to put the adapters from eBay on them that allow you to use them with any MMCX cable.

Those adapters aren't any more durable than the cables you're replacing in my experience.
That's my experience with the adapter made by the seller awwan.

I bought them hoping I could use the much cheaper MMCX cables which would be less costly to replace when they get worn out but I found the adapters failing more quickly than the cables failed on me.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #13,252 of 19,246
Those adapters aren't any more durable than the cables you're replacing in my experience.
That's my experience with the adapter made by the seller awwan.

I bought them hoping I could use the much cheaper MMCX cables which would be less costly to replace when they get worn out but I found the adapters failing more quickly than the cables failed on me.
Interesting!
Do it slow and you will eventually get them out without a problem. I reckon I have probably plugged and unplugged mine for at least hundred of times. The first time is usually the tightest but ultimately it might become slightly loose over the time, but there are ways to mitigate that as well.
Considering how much you've used the adapters, how long does each last you before you need to order another one?

Apr 26, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #13,253 of 19,246
Considering how much you've used the adapters, how long does each last you before you need to order another one?

I don't use adapter. I have built dedicated 4P, 4S and 4B cables myself - all are still working fine though I stick to 4S most of the time. The 4S cable I am using now is over 3 yrs old now and I have a good track record for keeping my gears in really good shape - thus I reckon I can probably easily use it for another 3~5 yrs without a problem.

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #13,254 of 19,246
I would highly recommend to any ER3XR owner to use a 20ohm resistor. It is an inexpensive yet significant upgrade in sound quality. Like a hazy veil was lifted. There is so much more clarity and insight! I guess the better source you use the more difference you hear. With Mojo it is quite significant. I happily take the slightly uncomfortable resistor for this upgraded sound.

Apr 30, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #13,255 of 19,246
Has anybody had an experience where, when I flex my ears a bit (which seemingly causes the canals to open up a bit more and my eyebrows to raise) that the sound gets a little louder, and maybe even a bit clearer? And then when I stop flexing my ears and get back to normal, it goes back to what is was before. I've neutralized the pressure in both my ears after inserting deep and getting a good seal and this is still happening. Is there any reason for this, and should I worry about it? Or does it just increase the volume and not the clarity itself? Want to make sure I'm not messing up the sound.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #13,256 of 19,246
Has anybody had an experience where, when I flex my ears a bit (which seemingly causes the canals to open up a bit more and my eyebrows to raise) that the sound gets a little louder, and maybe even a bit clearer? And then when I stop flexing my ears and get back to normal, it goes back to what is was before. I've neutralized the pressure in both my ears after inserting deep and getting a good seal and this is still happening. Is there any reason for this, and should I worry about it? Or does it just increase the volume and not the clarity itself? Want to make sure I'm not messing up the sound.
It's possible that the eartip is folding over slightly against the bend in your ear canal(s) and slightly occluding the opening. This could happen with any type of eartip, but it's more likely with foam, which is why you're supposed to "prepare" your foam tips by flattening the ends before rolling. If you're using silicone tips, the effect would just be more subtle.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #13,257 of 19,246
It's possible that the eartip is folding over slightly against the bend in your ear canal(s) and slightly occluding the opening. This could happen with any type of eartip, but it's more likely with foam, which is why you're supposed to "prepare" your foam tips by flattening the ends before rolling. If you're using silicone tips, the effect would just be more subtle.
Yeah, I'm using silicone. Is there anything I can do or should I just not worry about it?

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #13,259 of 19,246
Yeah, I'm using silicone. Is there anything I can do or should I just not worry about it?

I think I know what you are talking about....sort of like yawning, but also flexing your ears and raising your eyebrows?

I do this do normalize the pressure, I think that yawning opens eustachian tubes, which normalizes pressure in the ear (not sure which part tbh), and the phenomenon you experience as volume increase may be changed in resonant geometry of ear canal?? OR outside noise coming in due to airways opening up....yeah our bodies are weird

I use triple flanges as well, and I find that doing the yawn/ear stretch helps normalize the position of them (too deep results in stuffy fatiguing sound), and also normalized ear pressure, and makes them sound wicked good

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #13,260 of 19,246
IMHO, life is a never-ending quest for eartips that fit us just a tiny little bit better than the last pair... :wink:

I think I know what you are talking about....sort of like yawning, but also flexing your ears and raising your eyebrows?

I do this do normalize the pressure, I think that yawning opens eustachian tubes, which normalizes pressure in the ear (not sure which part tbh), and the phenomenon you experience as volume increase may be changed in resonant geometry of ear canal?? OR outside noise coming in due to airways opening up....yeah our bodies are weird

I use triple flanges as well, and I find that doing the yawn/ear stretch helps normalize the position of them (too deep results in stuffy fatiguing sound), and also normalized ear pressure, and makes them sound wicked good

Yeah! Thanks for the info guys. What I've found is that the problem goes away if I insert the IEM's at more of a horizontal/slightly-downward angle into my ears. Now the sound is the same regardless of whether I'm "flexing" my ears, or whatever I'm doing :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back