1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...

First

Back
873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882
884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893
Next

Last
  1. Mossey
    Bass *might* be slightly more visceral and resolution in the highs *might* be slightly lower, but again I haven’t heard the ER4Ps in ten years and I’ve definitely had some hearing loss since then so this may be on me.

Bass

2. manthisis
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm actually selling off my 4XR since I found an ER4PT at a much cheaper price and, well, I want to experiment with the different older variant (particularly the ER4S, which is really Etymotic's target curve)

3. ClieOS Contributor
    As far as I can tell from the FR curve of Knowless ED33357 (the BA in FA1 and FiBAE1), it is not the same as ED29869 (the one in ER4P/S/B) and such "basically ... the same driver" might be stretching a little too far.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. JohnYang1997
    deleted

5. JohnYang1997
    Tell me if fa1 measures remotely the same as er4p. And there are way more of a design than just a driver. It's like oh we use the same engine and it must be the same car.

slapo, Lulu801 and WhatToChoose like this.
  6. WhatToChoose
    Agreed. I have been curious how IEM makers actually tune drivers...is it a mechanical change, electrical change...idk

7. JohnYang1997
    As far as I know.
    1, acoustic dampers
    2, nozzle dimention and material
    3, electrical tuning with r/rc circuit. Ba driver itself is very inductive so by purely adding r will change the fr.
    4, tips and coupling of ear canal.

slapo and WhatToChoose like this.
  8. Raketen
    + quality control measures channel matching and consistency
    not to suggest Fiio aren't good at this, but I don't think I've ever seen comments about two ER4s sounding/measuring notably differently

WhatToChoose likes this.
  9. Pro-Jules
    You will want to source tiny angled mmcx to Ety mmcx adapters.

Without them the fit / security against them accidentally coming apart will be something you really won't want to risk.

I had a MUC neck band + ER4 XR + adapters but I could never get the Sony's multi device pairing to work with my Fii0 M9 and my iPhone (very annoying, I blew a ton of time trying to get it working) and also missed having the chance for an eq before the iems so sold it.

udesign48 likes this.
  10. Lulu801
    I just found a site with the old ER4 manual. Where they say the ER4B is ER4S with more energy from 5 to 16k. So would it be possible to EQ that area by 5db with a wide 1 band or 3 small bands?.

I did a basic test one but might do more later.

11. manthisis
    Is there a safe method/procedure for removing the 2-pin cable from the ER4PT? From what I've read it's quite tight and removing it with just your fingers isn't the best idea.

12. episiarch Contributor
    In my experience fingers are OK if you are able to pull the cable straight out (not working it back and forth, or rocking from side to side, or twisting). If it resists too much, then get a "spudger" tool and use that gently to get the process started.

manthisis likes this.
  13. FastAndClean
    is tight, you have to pull slow just with your fingers, eventually it will come out

manthisis likes this.
  14. JohnYang1997
    Before saying if finger is good enough. I wonder why would you remove the cable?

15. manthisis
    In order to put the adapters from eBay on them that allow you to use them with any MMCX cable.

First

Back
873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882
884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893
Next

Last