If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 19, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #13,217 of 19,246
cant drive the er4s, what kind of amp is that, my phone drives them well ?
it's an amp with negative gain so it makes the not so loud old ipod even quieter.

Alo RX is a beautifully designed amp but really only suitable for the really low impedance IEMs (below or around 10Ohm perhaps?; even 27Ohm seems too much) even though the manufacturer indicated that it would have no issues with driving them. Nope. Definitely not for ER4s.
it's sensitivity that tells you how loud you'll get, the impedance not so much, at least not directly.

I have no idea if that's recommended, but maybe that would be good for your use so long as you remain on a low voltage source https://www.headfonia.com/alo-rx-high-gain/

Apr 19, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #13,218 of 19,246
I have no idea if that's recommended, but maybe that would be good for your use so long as you remain on a low voltage source https://www.headfonia.com/alo-rx-high-gain/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. This is the older model that was not designed for IEMs. Apparently the new Alo RX would need to be sent to the US for modification; however, given the volume with the ER4s is not even in the ballpark it just makes me think that it is not a design that is high-impedance headphones friendly, IEMs or not. I found another thread where an Ipod Video user on Rockbox with a pair of Senheiser HD25-1 II described the same problem. These are rated at 70Ohms.

FastAndClean said:
cant drive the er4s, what kind of amp is that, my phone drives them well ?

My surprise exactly. The volume level became unusable and, given the volume pot was at its maximum, despite the low volume level the sound was distorted. It appears that it really is meant for really sensitive IEMs.

I do not want to give up as I can hear clear improvement with the right amp. None of the products are available locally so I need to play the specs sheet game and look for people's impressions with similar equipment. I am not even talking about SQ preferences yet.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #13,220 of 19,246
Just to clarify, can I buy this adapter off eBay and connect it to an ER4PT and use any MMCX cable with it after? Or do I have to do additional DIY/soldering?

Yes you can and no further mod needed.

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #13,221 of 19,246
What do you think, is my logic correct?

It is not power you should be looking for but gain. Your source (*iPod) is know to have a fairly weak output and thus you need enough gain on the amp to make the signal (voltage) louder. What you want is probably around 3x ~ 5x gain (= +9dB ~ +14dB). You can still get a lot of power without much voltage / volume if the current output is high. But in your case, what you want first is voltage and not current.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #13,222 of 19,246
It is not power you should be looking for but gain. Your source (*iPod) is know to have a fairly weak output and thus you need enough gain on the amp to make the signal (voltage) louder. What you want is probably around 3x ~ 5x gain (= +9dB ~ +14dB). You can still get a lot of power without much voltage / volume if the current output is high. But in your case, what you want first is voltage and not current.

Hah, that must be it. Alo RX has a negative gain of aproximately -14.6 dB...

Apr 20, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #13,223 of 19,246
I have received my ~20Ohm resistor with the ER3XR which supposed to turn them into an ER4XR. I have never heard the 4XR, so I cant confirm how similar they sound now, but I definitely detect some improvement. The change is not huge, but definitely noticeable. Clarity and tightness have improved the most, and also the background feels a bit more black. I like it.
I was just wondering if there is an aftermarket cable with built-in resistor? This adaptor is not the most ideal in physical terms.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #13,224 of 19,246
I was just wondering if there is an aftermarket cable with built-in resistor? This adaptor is not the most ideal in physical terms.

Not with the SR(E)/XR style MMCX cable, but with the old ER4P perhaps. I have however built one for someone who used it with his ER4SR for another reason, mainly to trigger the high impedance mode on his LG smartphone.

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #13,225 of 19,246
Just joined the drop for the ER2XR/SE. For anyone who's interested, it's at this link.

I take my eye off Massdrop for a little while and this happens.

I guess I'll have to wait for some reviews before deciding.

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #13,228 of 19,246
Interesting. If I put the S variant of this adapter on an ER4PT, would that make it an ER4S that I can use with any cable?

Yes it would. The drivers on older ER4 are all the same. The difference is in the cable. I have built all three variances so I can use them interchangably.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #13,230 of 19,246
There are so, so many pages in this thread so I don’t know if someone has already pointed this out but the FiiO FA1 basically uses the same driver as the ER4P and it’s only $99USD.

It’s probably been 10 years since my last pair of ER4P’s broke so it’s hard to do a super detailed comparison between the two but from what I can remember the sound signature is almost exactly same but with less isolation and greater comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back