If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 13, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #13,201 of 19,246
Welp, impulsively ordered an ER2SE. Couldn't help myself- some of my favorite IEMs have been micro dynamic drivers (Rockets, Carbo Tenore various JVCs), and having never tried any of Ety's DD models before (unless I am misremembering ER6), am very curious to hear what a DD ER will sound like.

AFAIK PT is an ER4P that comes with an impedance adapter which turns it in to an ER4S (you can accomplish the same by replacing an ER4P's cable with an ER4S cable since both carry their resistors in the cable y-split).

That makes sense. Can’t you just buy a 3rd party adapter with similar ohms with the same effect?

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #13,202 of 19,246
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #13,204 of 19,246
That's true. I actually just ordered the small olives so I'll see if those fit better? I read somewhere that cutting out the grill/filter on the olives will bump up the treble a bit, so I can also try that.

Just out of curiosity, did you end up finding something that worked for you?
I'm in a similar situation with my ety's :) (not my main driver but I'd like to really give these a chance some day)

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #13,207 of 19,246
What is the expected sound differences between the ER4XR and these new ER2 variants? Big price difference between the 2 and 4 series :wink:
This is one of the rare occasions I'm spending money on something that I haven't got the slightest idea about. And this being the first DD IEM from Etymotic, there's very little information about it anywhere, so I honestly don't know what to expect. I'm hoping for a nice surprise in the bass department :fingers_crossed:, but I don't expect the overall quality to beat anything in the ER4 series.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #13,208 of 19,246
This is one of the rare occasions I'm spending money on something that I haven't got the slightest idea about. And this being the first DD IEM from Etymotic, there's very little information about it anywhere, so I honestly don't know what to expect. I'm hoping for a nice surprise in the bass department :fingers_crossed:, but I don't expect the overall quality to beat anything in the ER4 series.
Gotcha - thanks. I went ahead and ordered the ER2SR. I guess that like you, I am hopping for a little warmer lower end :wink:

Apr 18, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #13,209 of 19,246
not the first DD IEM. etykids, MC5, MK5, HD5.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #13,210 of 19,246
Apr 18, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #13,211 of 19,246
Btw, have you guys tried ER4XR or ER4SR with Sony's MUC cable?
I see normal 'straight' mmcx cables won't fit ER4XR because ER4 series need angled MMCX.
I think Sony's angled MUC mmcx cables for XBA series may fit ER4 series?

I like sound and build quality of Sony's MUC cable... 4.4 balanced, 3.5mm, dual 3.5mm balanced are all great.
I want to know if they will fit ER4SR.

41G8QlqbEyL._SX425_.jpg

DSC09010.jpg

sony_mucm12sm1_1446793727_2872ea0a.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #13,212 of 19,246
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #13,213 of 19,246
I ordered a replacement 10 pack of the baby triple flange eartips. I swear the ER4XR is somehow getting better every day for the past 2 weeks, and I want to keep themem going. @ClieOS 's note to ensure normalized pressure in the ear canal is probably the most likely cause, because I do distinctly remember at times putting them in, and feeling pressure in my ears like I had a cold.

ER4XR going strong after 2.5 years, for those concerned about durability btw (Third birthday is October 31st, cake??)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #13,214 of 19,246
Re the earlier post on ER4s current (2019) amplification options

Unfortunately, it turns out that the Alo RX does not drive the ER4s at all. The output is very quiet via the Ipod's 5.5 3.5mm jack (already amplified via the Ipod's internal amp) and very very quiet via the 30pin signal out, practically unusable. In both cases any dynamics / soundstage are gone due to low volume levels and it is impossible to assess the sound quality.

With the adapter out of the way the impedance drops to 27Ohms (turnign them into ER4P) but you still have to drive the earphones at close to max level on the pot which creates a more practical volume level but signal distortion kicks in. ER4P option is also not the sound signature I prefer so it is not something I would be willing to compromise.

Alo RX is a beautifully designed amp but really only suitable for the really low impedance IEMs (below or around 10Ohm perhaps?; even 27Ohm seems too much) even though the manufacturer indicated that it would have no issues with driving them. Nope. Definitely not for ER4s.

Back to square one, with three options: Fiio A3 or A5 or Nano Ican. I did test the ER4s with other amps I have, a Yamamoto HA02 amplfier (rated at 300mW @ 50ohm) and Desktop Konnekt 6 audio interface on my PC and both improved the ER4s sound. Konnekt 6 being the better match still so I will use it as a reference point.

According to Desktop Konnekt's specs sheet it is rated at 200mW at 40Ohm load and 93mW at 600Ohm load. ER4s are rated at 100Ohm.

I can't find an exact match across the current amps but Fiio A3 is probably the closest match to the konnekt (if looking at specs sheets only): Maximum Output power: 450mW(16Ω); 270mW(32Ω).

The A5 spec's on the other hand give 800 mW (32 Ω) and 150mW(300Ω), which might be an overkill(?). There's also Nano iCAN’s amp that produces 150mW of power at 32 Ohms which indicates it is slightly under-powered compared to A3 and Desktop Konnekt.

What do you think, is my logic correct?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back