If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #13,066 of 19,256
Hey guys, I just purchased a used pair of ER4XR that were initially bought in 2016. The filters were just replaced by the person selling them to me.

I was just curious as to the longevity of these? Will I have to replace these in a few years, or do they have the potential to last me a really long time, durability wise?

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #13,067 of 19,256
Hey guys, I just purchased a used pair of ER4XR that were initially bought in 2016. The filters were just replaced by the person selling them to me.

I was just curious as to the longevity of these? Will I have to replace these in a few years, or do they have the potential to last me a really long time, durability wise?
if you keep your ear canals clean they will last a long time

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #13,068 of 19,256

I have had my ER4XRs since October 2016, and they are still going strong today. I have showered with them regularly, slept with them (:wink:), used them in the rain, snow, cold weather, warm weather, stuffed them in pockets, used on road trips, and essentially used them daily, and still use them today (I actually happened to try these with an OCC silver cable, and it made these warmer and filled out the somewhat anemic low end wonderfully). I would estimate I have 1000-2000 hours+ on these of playtime.

Basically, they have survived the onslaught of humidity and temperature differences that I have thrown at them. The IEMs themselves are absolutely excellent, I really cannot say enough good about these. The cable is very durable as well, but as with any cable, enough snags on doorknobs will overcome them, but a replacement cable is only $50, which is not bad. Additionally, balanced armatures are reasonably durable themselves (just don't drop them too much).

In fact, I would argue that outside of custom IEMs, you would be hard pressed to find any IEM that combines this level of comfort, isolation, SQ, and durability in one package. You can find IEMs that best these in one, or maybe two categories, but never all 4. Especially isolation vs. SQ, that is a very common tradeoff.

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #13,069 of 19,256
I have had my ER4XRs since October 2016, and they are still going strong today. I have showered with them regularly, slept with them :)wink:), used them in the rain, snow, cold weather, warm weather, stuffed them in pockets, used on road trips, and essentially used them daily, and still use them today (I actually happened to try these with an OCC silver cable, and it made these warmer and filled out the somewhat anemic low end wonderfully). I would estimate I have 1000-2000 hours+ on these of playtime.

Basically, they have survived the onslaught of humidity and temperature differences that I have thrown at them. The IEMs themselves are absolutely excellent, I really cannot say enough good about these. The cable is very durable as well, but as with any cable, enough snags on doorknobs will overcome them, but a replacement cable is only $50, which is not bad. Additionally, balanced armatures are reasonably durable themselves (just don't drop them too much).

In fact, I would argue that outside of custom IEMs, you would be hard pressed to find any IEM that combines this level of comfort, isolation, SQ, and durability in one package. You can find IEMs that best these in one, or maybe two categories, but never all 4. Especially isolation vs. SQ, that is a very common tradeoff.
Wow, you shower with them? Isn’t that.. dangerous?

Regardless, I’m glad to hear that they’re resilient!

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #13,070 of 19,256
Wow, you shower with them? Isn’t that.. dangerous?

Regardless, I’m glad to hear that they’re resilient!

Gotta live like Larry, ya know?

I make sure the water never runs directly on any critical connection points (MMCX connector, 3.5mm jack, DAP), and it works out quite well actually. I also use the silicone triple flange tips, so they form a watertight seal with my ear, and prevent water/humidity from entering the nozzle. Though since I am using them with an aftermarket OCC silver cable that may be slightly less waterproof, I can't do it anymore :frowning2:

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #13,071 of 19,256
What do you guys think of adapters like these? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-1...d5-409e-8bb3-909c4fbf3ac2&transAbTest=ae803_4

I wouldn't normally worry about it, but since the ER4 cable is proprietary, I figured it would be easier to replace cables at a cheaper cost if I just get one of these and use a cheaper cable.

Gotta live like Larry, ya know?

I make sure the water never runs directly on any critical connection points (MMCX connector, 3.5mm jack, DAP), and it works out quite well actually. I also use the silicone triple flange tips, so they form a watertight seal with my ear, and prevent water/humidity from entering the nozzle. Though since I am using them with an aftermarket OCC silver cable that may be slightly less waterproof, I can't do it anymore :frowning2:

Got it! Thanks for the info.

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #13,073 of 19,256
What do you guys think of adapters like these? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-1...d5-409e-8bb3-909c4fbf3ac2&transAbTest=ae803_4

I wouldn't normally worry about it, but since the ER4 cable is proprietary, I figured it would be easier to replace cables at a cheaper cost if I just get one of these and use a cheaper cable.

Those are replacement MMCX plugs specifically for Etymotic.

If you get your soldering iron out, cut the existing plugs off an IEM cable and solder these on then you will have a suitable cable for the ER4.

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #13,074 of 19,256

That's not an adapter but a DIY MMCX connector for Ety. It can be turned into an adapter if you have the right DIY skill and extra parts (some wires, a bit of glue and a pair of MMCX socket). Then you can use most MMCX cable out there. Like what I have done below:

Just finish making a right angled adapter for my ER4SR. It fits quite well with FiiO BTR3 and short MMCX cable.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #13,075 of 19,256
Hi all! I purchased the Etymotic ER4PT's about a month ago and have been pretty impressed with the sound, but I am wondering if I am missing something by not getting the ER4XR's. I know the detachable cables and metal housing are different, but is there an appreciable improvement in the sound of the ER4XR's over the PT's? I saw on their website I can trade them PT's in and pay $225 for the XR's (seems a little expensive actually, considering they are only $50 more...but I digress). I would appreciate any input on whether an upgrade is worth it.

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #13,076 of 19,256
Hi all! I purchased the Etymotic ER4PT's about a month ago and have been pretty impressed with the sound, but I am wondering if I am missing something by not getting the ER4XR's. I know the detachable cables and metal housing are different, but is there an appreciable improvement in the sound of the ER4XR's over the PT's? I saw on their website I can trade them PT's in and pay $225 for the XR's (seems a little expensive actually, considering they are only $50 more...but I digress). I would appreciate any input on whether an upgrade is worth it.
It all deodepe on how you feel about them right now.
Just to calm you down, ee have cracked er4sr and er4xr open. And tested the impedance/fr of the drivers inside comparing to the ones in the old er4. Er4xr basically is the sonion 2354 or 2389 eith vent. Er4sr is basically knowles 29689 but changed the position of the nozzle. 99% similarly of what is in the old er4. And as distortion isn't improved. Also used resistors to tune the response. Only thing you are missing here is the bass. If you think the bass on er4pt is good enough then there is no need to upgrade to er4xr.

In short, technically same level, just a bit mkre bass.

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #13,077 of 19,256
It all deodepe on how you feel about them right now.
Just to calm you down, ee have cracked er4sr and er4xr open. And tested the impedance/fr of the drivers inside comparing to the ones in the old er4. Er4xr basically is the sonion 2354 or 2389 eith vent. Er4sr is basically knowles 29689 but changed the position of the nozzle. 99% similarly of what is in the old er4. And as distortion isn't improved. Also used resistors to tune the response. Only thing you are missing here is the bass. If you think the bass on er4pt is good enough then there is no need to upgrade to er4xr.

In short, technically same level, just a bit mkre bass.

Thanks for the insight! I would like a tad more bass. Due to the pricing of the upgrade, it seems that maybe I should sell my ER4PT's and use whatever I get to buy some ER4XR's.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #13,078 of 19,256
That's not an adapter but a DIY MMCX connector for Ety. It can be turned into an adapter if you have the right DIY skill and extra parts (some wires, a bit of glue and a pair of MMCX socket). Then you can use most MMCX cable out there. Like what I have done below:
Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how is that bluetooth pairing with the ER4? Any loss in fidelity or is it mostly similar?

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #13,079 of 19,256
I have an Er3se coming, and have a 75ohm resister on hand. Would this bring the treble balance to the Er4sr, or beyond?

Btw, Massdrop has the Er4 on now. I just got notified.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #13,080 of 19,256
I have an Er3se coming, and have a 75ohm resister on hand. Would this bring the treble balance to the Er4sr, or beyond?
I believe it's a 20 Ohm resistor you'd want. If you search back through this thread, somewhere here I posted a measurement comparison of ER3XR+20 Ohm resistor vs ER4XR and they were basically the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back