If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 7, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #13,096 of 19,292
Small comply t-100 tips work great almost all the time. You roll them first, twist them in like triple flanges, and wait for them to expand.

Alternatively, triple flanges work well if you lick them first. They go in deeper.
Got it! How much do they change the sound from silicone? Also, Have you compared them to the ety foams?

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #13,097 of 19,292
Got it! How much do they change the sound from silicone? Also, Have you compared them to the ety foams?
Use comply tsx100. They will bring down the treble a bit but much more natural than t100. Very suitable for er4b and can be used for er4s/sr. Not really recommended for er4xr unless you like the dark sound. These are much more natural sounding than ety's foam tips.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #13,099 of 19,292
I think I've (mostly) figured it out.

I notice that I can achieve the desired seal when I initially push in my triple flange ER4XR's. However, after a minute or so, the IEM's tend to slip out and lose the "perfect" seal (it still isolates very well in this state but not "as well"). For example, if I do the "finger rubbing" isolation test when I initially seal them, I can't hear a thing. However, after a minute, if I retry, I can just barely, barely hear it. Is there any way to fix it? I'm using the large tri flange tips, as the small ones don't get a seal in the first place.

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #13,100 of 19,292
I think I've (mostly) figured it out.

I notice that I can achieve the desired seal when I initially push in my triple flange ER4XR's. However, after a minute or so, the IEM's tend to slip out and lose the "perfect" seal (it still isolates very well in this state but not "as well"). For example, if I do the "finger rubbing" isolation test when I initially seal them, I can't hear a thing. However, after a minute, if I retry, I can just barely, barely hear it. Is there any way to fix it? I'm using the large tri flange tips, as the small ones don't get a seal in the first place.

Change them. They slip out when they get older in my experience.

I still find I get the most consistent seal with small foam inserted deep. I don't find it sounds dark, but brings in the proper amount of bass you would expect from the various instruments. It just sound right with a good seal, and is very comparable to a good seal I get from a fresh set of triflanges.

I've tried many foams and feel comply is the best one out there. Shure olives have a wax guard that stops it from inserting deep, dekoni bullets are too spongy and short, and the comply foam is too abrasif and is painful to insert when it gets old.

The only thing about comply is that it can be a little too short. One twist is fine, but a second twist can cause pain. Still the best option at tge moment for me.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #13,101 of 19,292
A rare build - ER4S cable with iOS compatible mic/remote.

10270965.jpg

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #13,102 of 19,292
Change them. They slip out when they get older in my experience.

I still find I get the most consistent seal with small foam inserted deep. I don't find it sounds dark, but brings in the proper amount of bass you would expect from the various instruments. It just sound right with a good seal, and is very comparable to a good seal I get from a fresh set of triflanges.

I've tried many foams and feel comply is the best one out there. Shure olives have a wax guard that stops it from inserting deep, dekoni bullets are too spongy and short, and the comply foam is too abrasif and is painful to insert when it gets old.

The only thing about comply is that it can be a little too short. One twist is fine, but a second twist can cause pain. Still the best option at tge moment for me.

I have tried a new pair that i've had for a while (the opaque gray large triflanges, not the clear ones) and it still has the same problem unfortunately. It's odd... my left ear tends to lose the seal by a little bit, while my right ear I can usually get it to keep the seal.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #13,103 of 19,292
I have tried a new pair that i've had for a while (the opaque gray large triflanges, not the clear ones) and it still has the same problem unfortunately. It's odd... my left ear tends to lose the seal by a little bit, while my right ear I can usually get it to keep the seal.

9379185_thumb.jpg

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #13,105 of 19,292
Is it normal, once you get a perfect seal, to get a feeling of pressure in your ears?

There shouldn't be any pressure if you insert it the right way. When inserted fully, push the whole earpiece sideway just a little to break the seal slightly to let extra pressure vent out.

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #13,106 of 19,292
There shouldn't be any pressure if you insert it the right way. When inserted fully, push the whole earpiece sideway just a little to break the seal slightly to let extra pressure vent out.

Got it. Thank you!

Also, I’ve seen some posts here about using saliva for an easier insertion and seal (EtyDave mentioned it at some point I think). What do you think about that? I tried it once but I don’t want to continue if it will give me an ear infection.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #13,107 of 19,292
using saliva for an easier insertion and seal

please don't do that :sweat_smile:

just use other eartips. i settled for regular single flange (symbio) using adapter

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #13,108 of 19,292
Got it. Thank you!

Also, I’ve seen some posts here about using saliva for an easier insertion and seal (EtyDave mentioned it at some point I think). What do you think about that? I tried it once but I don’t want to continue if it will give me an ear infection.

Try putting just a tiny bit of baby oil on it. If you want to go pro on this, there are special fomulated lubricant that is meant for hearing aid but it is just as good for IEM.

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #13,109 of 19,292
Got it. Thank you!

Saliva is the way to go, wet the tip of your fingers, spin them once around the flanges, insert deep, then pull back lightly which I find expands the flanges and seals tight, been doing that for years, no ear infections, no outside noise.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #13,110 of 19,292
please don't do that :sweat_smile:

just use other eartips. i settled for regular single flange (symbio) using adapter
Do you say that because you think it’s dangerous or you just think it’s gross?

Like a previous poster said they’ve been doing it for years without a problem. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good idea though. But at a very base level it doesn’t gross me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back