If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 8, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #13,112 of 19,253
Do you say that because you think it’s dangerous or you just think it’s gross?

Like a previous poster said they’ve been doing it for years without a problem. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good idea though. But at a very base level it doesn’t gross me out.
I second what @lookingforowls said. I've been doing this too and it is the best way to get a good seal - his advice to pull back slightly to double check the seal is really good too.

The only issue for me is when I have to do this in public, i.e. you may get some weird looks if you work in an office.

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #13,113 of 19,253
Try putting just a tiny bit of baby oil on it. If you want to go pro on this, there are special fomulated lubricant that is meant for hearing aid but it is just as good for IEM.

Saliva is the way to go, wet the tip of your fingers, spin them once around the flanges, insert deep, then pull back lightly which I find expands the flanges and seals tight, been doing that for years, no ear infections, no outside noise.

I second what @lookingforowls said. I've been doing this too and it is the best way to get a good seal - his advice to pull back slightly to double check the seal is really good too.

The only issue for me is when I have to do this in public, i.e. you may get some weird looks if you work in an office.

Thank you guys! I've tried both solutions and they work just as well.

I tried the included large foams and they isolate better, but they can't go as deep and change the sound.

Is it normal that my left ear gets a worse seal than my right ear? With the large gray tri-flanges, my right ear I can usually get an almost perfect seal (based on the finger rubbing test) while with my left ear I can sometimes get a good seal, but then it slips out to an "almost perfect seal" (where I can barely hear the finger rubbing test)

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #13,115 of 19,253
Your tips slip out because it's too big and you force it inside. Try smaller triflange and wear it like on the guide by pulling your ear while putting your IEM deeper.
The small triflanges unfortunately don't seal at all for me. I've tried a ton of different ways.

I tend to wear medium/medium-large tips for shallow insertion IEMs, if it helps at all.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #13,120 of 19,253
Interesting review.
I wonder how much closer the ER3XR sounds with a good source and a 75ohm impedance converter to the ER4XR?
23 Ohm is the magic number:
ER4XR_vs_ER3XRres.png

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #13,121 of 19,253
Do you say that because you think it’s dangerous or you just think it’s gross?

gross, and potentially dangerous. especially if later on the day after consuming food and drinks. and the human mouth do contain many germs, so infection because of this practice is not unlikely to happen. if you really want to use lubricant, baby oil or other that are specifically made for hearing aid like @ClieOS suggested are better and safer option

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #13,122 of 19,253
gross, and potentially dangerous. especially if later on the day after consuming food and drinks. and the human mouth do contain many germs, so infection because of this practice is not unlikely to happen. if you really want to use lubricant, baby oil or other that are specifically made for hearing aid like @ClieOS suggested are better and safer option

Got it. Ill refrain then.

I’m still having trouble with a seal, especially in my left ear. I dunno, I might be out of luck with these.

They sound great, that’s not an issue. And I can get a seal that’s pretty good. But when I initially insert them, I get a perfect seal where I can rub my fingers together and not hear anything (following the insertion guide). But after 60 seconds or so it goes to a seal that’s still above average, but not as good as before. I’ve tried the small frost flanges but they don’t seal at all.

Not sure how to prevent this slipping. Anybody had a similar experience as mine?

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #13,124 of 19,253
Got it. Ill refrain then.

I’m still having trouble with a seal, especially in my left ear. I dunno, I might be out of luck with these.

They sound great, that’s not an issue. And I can get a seal that’s pretty good. But when I initially insert them, I get a perfect seal where I can rub my fingers together and not hear anything (following the insertion guide). But after 60 seconds or so it goes to a seal that’s still above average, but not as good as before. I’ve tried the small frost flanges but they don’t seal at all.

Not sure how to prevent this slipping. Anybody had a similar experience as mine?

after you insert it and got a seal, have you tried tugging/pulling the ear slightly? usually this would release the air inside the canal and also holds the seal from the outside, and making the seal more stable.

just remember to break the seal first before pulling it out of the ears, or it can be a bit painful because of the vacuum

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #13,125 of 19,253
after you insert it and got a seal, have you tried tugging/pulling the ear slightly? usually this would release the air inside the canal and also holds the seal from the outside, and making the seal more stable.

just remember to break the seal first before pulling it out of the ears, or it can be a bit painful because of the vacuum

I have. It has the same effect: fantastic seal for a minute, then it dislodged slightly and becomes just an above average seal. Sound doesn’t change but isolation does.

Is there a specific point when I should stop insertion, or a specific sensation I should feel for a good seal? I’ve noticed that sometimes I can insert it very very deep and it has a good seal, sometimes I insert it very very deep and the seal really isn’t good at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back