If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 8, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #12,902 of 19,246
One day Etymotic will make a IEM with good sub bass and when that happens I'll be all over it.

put another driver specifically for sub bass only, that would be perfect (at least in my mind)

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #12,903 of 19,246
Hello,

Sorry to ask but this cable fits well in ER4XR? It’s better this one or the stock cable?
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Hélder

I can only tell you the MMCX connector on the cable is the right kind for ER4SR/XR. I won't know how well you will find it since I don't have this particular cable. But I have had other (similar) Lunashops' cable before and this particular silver plated OFC is quite good in quality but is little stiff.

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #12,904 of 19,246
put another driver specifically for sub bass only, that would be perfect (at least in my mind)

Might have to change its name from Etymotic to Euphonic first.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #12,905 of 19,246
Hello,

Sorry to ask but this cable fits well in ER4XR? It’s better this one or the stock cable?
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Hélder

To be honest, i would recommend the stock cable. I bought this same exact model and whilst it's a good fit, it doesn't fit perfectly. If you see my attached pic of the Luna cable, you'll see that there's a little gap between the connector and driver housing. In addition, it doesn't seem to have a locking system in place to prevent rotations but still, it's a bit harder to rotate these as compared to the normal mmcx system. However, it could be my cables coming in the non-type2 variant.

You're supposed to indicate that you're looking for the type2 variant in the purchase note for this cable. It slipped my mind during the purchasing but I tried to quickly rectify the error by sending Lunashops a message shortly after. However, they said they would "try their best" to change my order so I don't have a clue whether mine is of the type2 variant. Anyway, the Luna cable is pretty much deadweight to me and I much prefer using the stock cables.

Luna Cable:
IMG_20181220_032704.jpg

Stock cable:
15520953749701702281678747155572.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #12,906 of 19,246
One day Etymotic will make a IEM with good sub bass and when that happens I'll be all over it.

Etymotic seems to have a well honed technical approach to IEMs, I would love to see what they could make for under $1k. Perhaps they could utilize some new driver technology instead of BAs to create a simultaneously more reference and rich tuning, and they definitely have the ability to do so.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #12,908 of 19,246
To be honest, i would recommend the stock cable. I bought this same exact model and whilst it's a good fit, it doesn't fit perfectly. If you see my attached pic of the Luna cable, you'll see that there's a little gap between the connector and driver housing. In addition, it doesn't seem to have a locking system in place to prevent rotations but still, it's a bit harder to rotate these as compared to the normal mmcx system. However, it could be my cables coming in the non-type2 variant.

There are a few different cables that are marketed by Lunashops as ER4SR/XR compatible and they all look similar. Pretty sure yours doesn't have the locking notch - in one of the previous cable Luna is selling, you need to specify (and that's the one you got). But the one in my link is already a different one that already has the locking notch.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #12,909 of 19,246
They could but they won't do it. Multi BA. Ety's mid and treble with bass boost would sound muddy though. People then want treble boost and it's not reference anymore.

That's why I was thinking they could potentially do it with some cutting edge or undiscovered driver technology that we can't conceive, which would be awesome.

Obviously multi BAs most likely wouldn't cut it, or Ety presumably would have already implemented this approach. If they did try their hand at multi BAs though it probably would still turn out incredible.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #12,910 of 19,246
Does anyone have recommendations for an ER4SR/XR cable that's suitable for sleeping on with my face on the pillow?
I've broken countless ER4 cables over the years from doing this. It always frays at the 45 degree angle joints connecting to the driver unit. I've tried the MMCX adapter for ER4P from ebay that makes it a 90 degree unit and I broke two sets of those too.

I got the ER4XR thinking I could use the cheap $10 Shure MMCX cables on aliexpress, but I was dismayed to find out it requires the special type of MMCX connector and the cheapest cables are still around $40-50.

What are my best options?

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #12,911 of 19,246
Does anyone have recommendations for an ER4SR/XR cable that's suitable for sleeping on with my face on the pillow?
I've broken countless ER4 cables over the years from doing this. It always frays at the 45 degree angle joints connecting to the driver unit. I've tried the MMCX adapter for ER4P from ebay that makes it a 90 degree unit and I broke two sets of those too.

I got the ER4XR thinking I could use the cheap $10 Shure MMCX cables on aliexpress, but I was dismayed to find out it requires the special type of MMCX connector and the cheapest cables are still around $40-50.

Get a cheap iem more suited to sleeping with?

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #12,912 of 19,246
Get a cheap iem more suited to sleeping with?
I had many pairs of IEMs over the years and the Etys are the ones I want to sleep with.
They have the best isolation. They also sound the most transparent. Music sounds like noise unless it sounds perfectly holographic like I'm sonically teleported into that ambient world in my music.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #12,913 of 19,246

Might you need this pillow instead of new cables:

9fptee0qusf01.jpg

Mar 10, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #12,915 of 19,246
What might be an "upgrade" from the ER4 XR?

In the upper $1k - $3k price ranges?

Some 7 driver model?

What would be a good $$$$ iem for us "treble / clarity / no bass hype - just accuracy" fans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back