If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 14, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #12,931 of 19,249
Audio perfection is only in the ears of the beholder - that much I think I have learned over my audiophile's life so far.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #12,932 of 19,249
Happens more and more frequently that when taking out the earphones that the tips remain in my earcanals. Given the deep insertion this can be a quite scary situation, especially
if it happens when not at home with no tweezers around. Is tat because the eartips getting softer over the time?

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #12,933 of 19,249
Happens more and more frequently that when taking out the earphones that the tips remain in my earcanals. Given the deep insertion this can be a quite scary situation, especially
if it happens when not at home with no tweezers around. Is tat because the eartips getting softer over the time?

Silicone + earwax = aging.

Clean the bore of the eartips as well as the IEM's nozzle with tissue paper regularly. If it still happens right after cleaning, it is time to buy new eartips.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #12,934 of 19,249
regularly doing that (as the tips anyhow always becoem unsightly very fast as the design is a total earwax magnet).
Also washing them with warm water and mild soap from time to time.

Ok, assume this certain pair has reached is lifespan.... anyhow perhaps thinking of custom eartips.

Currently having a pair of SD5 here and comparing. While I sometimes like the slightly more fun signature
I feel that it cannot match with the Etys when it comes to vocal presentation.

I am trying hard but unsuccesful yet in finding a suitable reliever for my Etys.
Only candidates would be the PP8 or the Nocturnal Atlantis

Mar 17, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #12,940 of 19,249
...100ohm cable means that i will have the ER4B version now right?

No, it won't.

No. 100 Ohm = S

If I'm not mistaken the B would be 100 Ohm + 680nF cap.

Not 680nF, but 220nF as per Ety's patent.

...sure it will have more upper treble than before

I once measured ER4 by adding just resistance - the difference between 100ohm to 150ohm is close to neglactable (*and pretty much the same the more resistance you add). The reason to add capacitor to the cable in 4B is to have a high pass filter in order to get more treble that you can't get by just adding more resistors.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #12,942 of 19,249
Thank you. I got this information by seeing this DIY post so it's not that accurate.

That particular graph isn't incorrect, but the way you put it might be a bit out of context. The original story goes back to an adapter a Korean DIYer made, to be used specifically for ER4P - that is what your graph is showing. Because it is for ER4P (which already has the 20ohm resistors in the cable ), (s)he designed a low pass filter circuit that is different from the original Ety's design (which of course doesn't have the extra 20ohm resistors) but can achieve the same result. So if you are making an adapter for ER4P that can switch to 4B sound, 680nF will be the right capacitor to use. However, if you are making an 4B cable on its own, then you need only 220nF.

You can read the back story here: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/08/p2b-adapter-for-etymotic-research-er-4p.html

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #12,944 of 19,249
I'm over the moon at this point ClieOS - comfortably working through a rewrite of quite a large documentation suite with comfort instead of pain. These really are incredible little things these earphones. You spend a lot of money figuring out how much value for money is in there, and how enduring that value is over time, but they're unparalleled for me in terms of how robust, fungible, and freakishly high quality they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back