If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 23, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #12,962 of 19,246
It's all one small ball of wires and the lightweight tiny ES100 unit. Fell out of a open jacket pocket.

That sucks. Just to help you get back to the game - if you need another cable from me, just pay me the shipping and I'll build you a cable for free :gift:

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #12,963 of 19,246
Thanks - You're the best!!

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #12,964 of 19,246
So my

Er4 XR’s
Snugs custom moulds
Custom short balanced cable
And Radsone ES100

Are all lost.

totally pissed off.

I will probably buy the ES100 again but the price seems to have doubled in the UK (please pm me tips where to get it)

I can re order the snugs molds & cable and perhaps get a second hand er4 XR pair. but....man.....

I dunno.

Back to the Bose QC 20's
So sorry to hear that. That's one reason I always have a body bag to put my gears when not in use and on the go.

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #12,965 of 19,246
Next time it will have name and phone number on it. The snugs actually have my first initial and surname on it but a I tried Web look up it's not obvious online who to contact to return them.

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #12,966 of 19,246
E6B7BB55-F37D-43BD-B852-6C5F724DD49F.jpeg
So my

Er4 XR’s
Snugs custom moulds
Custom short balanced cable
And Radsone ES100

Are all lost.

totally pissed off.

I will probably buy the ES100 again but the price seems to have doubled in the UK (please pm me tips where to get it)

I can re order the snugs molds & cable and perhaps get a second hand er4 XR pair. but....man.....

I dunno.

Back to the Bose QC 20's

OMG.

My kids have a playdate over and the living room has been wrecked with their mess - but look what turned up in the rubble & debris!!

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #12,967 of 19,246
The moral of the story? Have more playdates :p

Chuffed for you. Of course that means the $700 you had earmarked for replacements can go on something else now :)

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #12,968 of 19,246
image.jpg

Now my phone number is scratched onto both sides of the ES100 and my number and a "reward" message is on the Snugs case TWICE. (I wasn't using a case)

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #12,969 of 19,246

OMG.

My kids have a playdate over and the living room has been wrecked with their mess - but look what turned up in the rubble & debris!!
Awesome!

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #12,970 of 19,246
Now my phone number is scratched onto both sides of the ES100 and my number and a "reward" message is on the Snugs case TWICE. (I wasn't using a case)

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #12,971 of 19,246
Received the replacement pair of ER4SR today, was surprised as i was waiting for email regarding the replacement cost of the broken driver (out of warranty, and probably misuse strictly speaking) , not to mention the new cable come with it (i did not send in the stock cable as i lost it), really love the sound, thank you Etymotic :D

Side note: For those considering re-cable of ER4SR/XR, please be aware that the MMCX connector of ER4SR/XR is probably of slightly different dimension compare to the generic ones, apart from the driver broken by me, another side of driver I RMAed is also found to have the connector pins spread apart after evaluation by Etymotic. I would advise folks looking for an aftermarket cable to make sure the upgrade cable got the mmcx connector that is fully compatible to Ety's spec or you are risking of loosening/breaking the connector pins of the driver. Personally I would stay away from aftermarket cable until I am 100% sure the aftermarket connector is compatible to Ety's ones.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #12,972 of 19,246
Ive come to realize that deep insertion is endgame for IEMs. There is no way to tune an IEM for everyones ear canals without bypassing the canal itself. thus, leading me to Etymotic. I am a basshead so I am going for the ER4XR. Talk me out of it.

Please talk me out of it.
:D

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #12,973 of 19,246
Ive come to realize that deep insertion is endgame for IEMs. There is no way to tune an IEM for everyones ear canals without bypassing the canal itself. thus, leading me to Etymotic. I am a basshead so I am going for the ER4XR. Talk me out of it.

Please talk me out of it.
:D

By all means, go for it!

Then read my review and tell me if you think I've been right

Or read it before and save yourself some trouble - If you're a basshead, there's a ton other options

P.S. - The deep insertion really won't work with everyone's canals. Like really.

P.S. 2 - This really isn't for bassheads.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #12,974 of 19,246
Side note: For those considering re-cable of ER4SR/XR, please be aware that the MMCX connector of ER4SR/XR is probably of slightly different dimension compare to the generic ones, apart from the driver broken by me, another side of driver I RMAed is also found to have the connector pins spread apart after evaluation by Etymotic. I would advise folks looking for an aftermarket cable to make sure the upgrade cable got the mmcx connector that is fully compatible to Ety's spec or you are risking of loosening/breaking the connector pins of the driver. Personally I would stay away from aftermarket cable until I am 100% sure the aftermarket connector is compatible to Ety's ones.

I have probably built more cable (30+) for ER4SR/XR than anyone out there and the MMCX connector on the SR/XR is as standard as it can be, especially consider no one has came back to me complaining a broken MMCX connector after almost 2 years of making these cable. I tested each of them with my own ER4SR first and my ER4SR is still working just fine. I think your case is most likely an outlier / lemon if anything else.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #12,975 of 19,246
By all means, go for it!

Then read my review and tell me if you think I've been right

Or read it before and save yourself some trouble - If you're a basshead, there's a ton other options

P.S. - The deep insertion really won't work with everyone's canals. Like really.

P.S. 2 - This really isn't for bassheads.

I'm a audiophile basshead though.. I've read the er4xr has great bass but not pushed hard. That sounds Great to me. I'm used to studio monitor sound too. I use JBL and KRK at my studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back