If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 1, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #12,887 of 19,249
Still no reply from ETY, no service on Sat and Sun so i need to wait for a couple more days :/

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #12,888 of 19,249
While not always the fastest, Ety used to be fairly responsive. These days however they seem to be getting slower and slower. Just take a look at the ER2 series - it has been announced at the beginning of Feb. and has been popping up on various online stores since middle of the month, yet they still have not updated their website with any real spec or info. This is not a good sign.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #12,889 of 19,249
While not always the fastest, Ety used to be fairly responsive. These days however they seem to be getting slower and slower. Just take a look at the ER2 series - it has been announced at the beginning of Feb. and has been popping up on various online stores since middle of the month, yet they still have not updated their website with any real spec or info. This is not a good sign.

The acquisition press release from last March made it seem as though their marketing would improve, but it’s been quite the opposite from what I’ve seen. That, compounded with the Glassdoor reviews does not paint a pretty picture for Ety’s future. If the ER2 were conceived prior to the buyout, it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #12,890 of 19,249

Hello Everyone:

First and foremost, allow me to apologize on behalf of Ety Customer Service if you've been waiting on a response and haven't seen one. Moe and I have always prided ourselves on a response time of 24 hours or less. Unfortunately, we fell a bit behind because we had to take on some other duties in the interim and I am often traveling for tradeshows (January through April are particularly heavy months).

If you sent an email to customer-service@etymotic.com that hasn't been answered, please do resend it and we'll do our best to get to right away. You can also always email me directly at r_carlson@etymotic.com if it's something pressing. I'm always happy to help.

Thanks for hanging in there with us!

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #12,891 of 19,249
TOPIC: REPLACEMENT TIPS FOR ER4SR
I've used the SEARCH function and have not really been able to compile a concise list of suggestions for replacement tips.
What do other forum members have the most overall satisfaction using? (1-Sound, 2-Comfort, 3-Isolation)
For years I've been happiest with the gray foams (ER38-14F) for comfort, but have started using their ER38-18 (tri-flange) with the stem trimmed to the length found in the ER38-18CL-4SX.
I may just have to get custom molds if I can't find suitable tips...THANKS!

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #12,892 of 19,249
TOPIC: REPLACEMENT TIPS FOR ER4SR
I've used the SEARCH function and have not really been able to compile a concise list of suggestions for replacement tips.
What do other forum members have the most overall satisfaction using? (1-Sound, 2-Comfort, 3-Isolation)
For years I've been happiest with the gray foams (ER38-14F) for comfort, but have started using their ER38-18 (tri-flange) with the stem trimmed to the length found in the ER38-18CL-4SX.
I may just have to get custom molds if I can't find suitable tips...THANKS!

I have used Shure black foam from time to time.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #12,893 of 19,249
I just pulled out my baggie of tips today. I wasn't getting a good fit with the original triple flanges anymore. Just average isolation and no more bass.

I put back on the beige foams. Insertion was super painful, but once in quite comfortable, and the best isolation, bass response and sound. Unfortunately, I didn't want to deal with that pain.

I tried the small triple flanges, and they worked really well. Bass was good, but not as good as with foams. It was a little painful, but I think it might be due to the beige foams from before. They didn't used to seal this well though. Weird...

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #12,894 of 19,249
Currently I'm getting great sound, comfort, and isolation with the long-stem triflanges: https://www.etymotic.com/er38-15sml.html

But I've also found Westone Star Tips work well on Etys. They come in a range of 5 sizes - variations of both diameter and length - and they sell a combo pack so you can try them all. https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/accessories/tips They also make foams, which I haven't tried.

When I've used foams, the Comply slim-fit were the ones that worked for me. This looks like the current equivalent: https://www.complyfoam.com/products/p-series/

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #12,895 of 19,249
I just pulled out my baggie of tips today. I wasn't getting a good fit with the original triple flanges anymore. Just average isolation and no more bass.

I put back on the beige foams. Insertion was super painful, but once in quite comfortable, and the best isolation, bass response and sound. Unfortunately, I didn't want to deal with that pain.

I tried the small triple flanges, and they worked really well. Bass was good, but not as good as with foams. It was a little painful, but I think it might be due to the beige foams from before. They didn't used to seal this well though. Weird...

Tips on how to properly insert foam tips: you need to roll and compress the foam down with your fingers before insertion and allow the foam to expend back in your ear canal.

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #12,896 of 19,249
Tips on how to properly insert foam tips: you need to roll and compress the foam down with your fingers before insertion and allow the foam to expend back in your ear canal.

The beige ones don't usually need it because of how small they are. Compressing them sometimes made them too small and hurt as well...

That being said, I think they are too old and don't compress anymore and are less soft than they used to be. I really should order custom tips.

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #12,897 of 19,249
I broke down today and went to the earphone store to grab a pair of T-100 Comply tips in the small size...feels good to be back on Comply.

I used to use M size but it didn't fit in deep. With S size they go in as deep as the beige foams, but are much softer and comfortable. Bye-bye pain! They seal very similarly and raise the bass to the perfect level. Sounds more natural.

Minuses are the time it takes for it to foam up after rolling, and they put a little more pressure on the ears, but I will take it.
I know they won't last forever though...
Time to order a 3 pack and a new bottle of peroxide!

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #12,899 of 19,249
By the way...has anyone tried the Spinfit CP240 twin blades on their ER4s?

I have the ER3, but they're supposed to be the same as the ER4, and the bore diameter of the CP240 is too big for the earphone. If I insert the tips in my ears, and then hold the Etys with my fingers to make a temporary seal, they sound OK. It's not really a great method for any kind of in-depth analysis, but they definitely didn't sound offensive in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back