If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #12,856 of 19,249
DD? BB?

What are those? :darthsmile:

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #12,857 of 19,249
What other DDs have you tried in your experience? I find the claim that BA bass can match quality DD bass kinda BS. BAs will obviously be faster, but quality DDs consistently win in the timbre/tonality category

Never said that it was better just wanted to see how far it could be pushed. It's 12db it still sounds totally different but still very listenable. My E4000 and 1540 are too much at less less levels.

The ER4PT fared better, but I've never understood why this is a issue. I disagree that Dynamics are king on timbre/tonality, When it quite subjective. 250 posts in the thread has people who like them more than current headphones that are quite bass heavy.

I'm sure it would be a different story if people were used to the sound BA's give, even flaws.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #12,858 of 19,249
Never said that it was better just wanted to see how far it could be pushed. It's 12db it still sounds totally different but still very listenable. My E4000 and 1540 are too much at less less levels.

The ER4PT fared better, but I've never understood why this is a issue. I disagree that Dynamics are king on timbre/tonality, When it quite subjective. 250 posts in the thread has people who like them more than current headphones that are quite bass heavy.

I'm sure it would be a different story if people were used to the sound BA's give, even flaws.
be careful with that bass boost, they have small BA driver and can die on you if you go crazy

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #12,859 of 19,249

Regarding DDs I was referencing numerous top reviewers (Crinacle, Twister, etc), I guess I should have put that. Thanks for the clarification though

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #12,860 of 19,249
I tried these and found them excellent, the smaller one is slightly larger than the (small) etymotic triple flange and seems to seal really well, they are very comfortable being slightly softer.

I uses to find the Ety sleeves were hard on my ear canals and before I knew about these, got custom sleeves moulded (which were good but occluded the sound a bit I felt due to the transducer being further away from my eardrum). The custom sleeves were obviously blissful to wear for long periods if needed, but these ones are soft enough to almost compare for me, and the seal and sound is better. The large ones are squishy and cushioning.

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #12,861 of 19,249
My new cable is ready, based on Fiio LC3.5b, made to fit my ER3XR.

Step 1, remove the colored rings by using a blunt knife or small screwdriver. They are glued to the mmcx connectors. This is all that is needed so that the cable will fit to the etymotics mmcx connector. They will fit nicely now.
FD952E2B-DD2D-4D43-A751-B7A71FFF1DF7.jpeg

Step 2 is to remove the plastic bottom knob from the earloops carefully with a knife.
This will reveal 2 small metal clamps at the bottom of the ear loops that need removing.
7BA7AA8C-16D1-46A0-B3BC-C7BA90D53576.jpeg
Step 3, Note the hardest step, removing of the earloop without dancing the cable. This was hard because this is made of very sturdy silicone that was almost impossible to cut. I finally messaged to cut then with a pear of metal Side cutter.
83F9A9FA-8C3B-4121-ADB8-896E6D883355.jpeg

And here the final result. The left / right indication is gone so I need some tape or other market to indication the channel.

AF2CAF96-54BC-4FE7-9652-F8B414AE1F01.jpeg

Microphonics is less than with the standard cable but not completely gone. First impression is that the trebble extension is a little less, the sounds a bit warmer. More testing to be done next week.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #12,862 of 19,249

Step 1, remove the colored rings by using a blunt knife or small screwdriver. They are glued to the mmcx connectors. This is all that is needed so that the cable will fit to the etymotics mmcx connector. They will fit nicely now.

Step 2 is to remove the plastic bottom knob from the earloops carefully with a knife.
This will reveal 2 small metal clamps at the bottom of the ear loops that need removing.

Step 3, Note the hardest step, removing of the earloop without dancing the cable. This was hard because this is made of very sturdy silicone that was almost impossible to cut. I finally messaged to cut then with a pear of metal Side cutter.

And here the final result. The left / right indication is gone so I need some tape or other market to indication the channel.

Microphonics is less than with the standard cable but not completely gone. First impression is that the trebble extension is a little less, the sounds a bit warmer. More testing to be done next week.

Very cool! Thanks for the detailed instructions and pictures. How solid is the mmcx connection? Does it swivel at all since it's missing the notch? Does it come off easily or is it nice and snug? Could you trim the colored rings and epoxy them on to create a notch?

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #12,863 of 19,249
Very cool! Thanks for the detailed instructions and pictures. How solid is the mmcx connection? Does it swivel at all since it's missing the notch? Does it come off easily or is it nice and snug? Could you trim the colored rings and epoxy them on to create a notch?
Hi Kismetsky,

They connectors fit nice and do not wiggle or rotate at all. Reattaching the rings will be nearly impossible, the outer diameter of the rings is 6 mm and the inner diameter of the etymotic is 5 mm. The wall thickness of the rings is about 0.5 mm so you have to grind then off completely to make them fit. The material of the rings is aluminium and grinding will expose the bare metal.

Next step for me is to open th 3.5 mm connector an add two 23 ohm resistors to change them into an ER4XR. Problem is I have not been able to unscrew the connector yet.

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #12,864 of 19,249
Next step for me is to open th 3.5 mm connector an add two 23 ohm resistors to change them into an ER4XR. Problem is I have not been able to unscrew the connector yet.

FiiO 3.5mm plug are all plastic injection molded on the inside. You can't unscrew that. The only way to add resistors is to replace the whole thing.

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #12,865 of 19,249
FiiO 3.5mm plug are all plastic injection molded on the inside. You can't unscrew that. The only way to add resistors is to replace the whole thing.
Bummer :frowning2: that will cost me another 3 Euro's :yum:

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #12,867 of 19,249

this looks awesome! the er4xr is slowly becoming my all time favorite... it does nothing bad and everything good.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #12,869 of 19,249
From the first moment I was fine with the medium sized triple-fi tips with my ER3XR. I haven't even bothered to try other tips as these are just fine. I hardly ever use IEMs but for those rare times the ER3XRs are just perfect. I honestly don't understand how these are not more popular. The sound these reproduce punch way above their price range and slaughter all IEMs you can buy for similar price. Space, details, clarity, balance is way above the competition if you are looking at price/performance ratio. Even though I hardly ever use IEMs, the ER3 made me interested in paying for the ER4 just to see how much better it is.
My theory is that a lot of IEM users are just not ready to appreciate the sound quality and balance of Ety IEMs. I am coming from a higher-end full sized headphone system, looking for a quality balanced sound in affordable IEMs. After trying several IEMs, I am convinced, Etymotic is the only viable option under £500 for me. So happy I found them.

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #12,870 of 19,249
Even with all the gear I have my ER4XR’s are stellar performers. They are so balanced sounding and do everything right that they are a mainstay in my lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back