If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 14, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #12,466 of 19,246
For expirimenttation I am trialing an EarStudio ES100 Bluetooth reciver

I am sending it LDAC from my Fiio m9

This means I can play with the player unconnected by cables. (The cables terminate at the ES100 clipped to my shirt pocket.

I swear It sounds pretty damn near exactly the same as the cable.

This weekend I am expecting a Sony MUC-M2BT1 Bluetooth LDAC neck band with MMCX connectors.

I have a feeling these may not connect to the R4's MMCX as they have a "locking notch" (to stop cable rotation)

So I might need an Etymotic MMCX to standard MMCX converter. (Will I? Do they exist? I swear I saw some on eBay or Amazon) it would be a shame to butcher the cables on the R4 and the MUC- 2BT1 with pliars and electrical tape. :triportsad:

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #12,467 of 19,246
Thanks

Hey! just discovered something. If I pull at the top of my ears really hard upwards (as if doing a Star Trek Dr Spok impersonation, suddenly I get

100% PERFECT bass and sub bass
more extended (totally fantastic) high frequency

The minute I let go - bass & treble reduces.

I think I definetly have a bend in my ear canal.

I am thinking / hoping that a custom mold will be able to deliver the sound "round the corner". Could this be correct?

Experiment with insertion depth you may be able to get an even better seal. For me I jam them in until they both touch in the middle of my head :) then pull them out a bit until I get the best seal and bass, I do have the XR version though.

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #12,468 of 19,246
If it doesn't sound weird or have any cracking sound then the chance is your ER4SR is fine.
Thank you for reassuring me. They still sound fine, but I don't know if the delicate tuning will be impaired.

FYI Etymotic offered to measure them for me for free if I would send them in, but I guess the shipping from TH to US will be economically illogical so I will just trust my little drivers.

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #12,469 of 19,246
a pair of ER4XR's i got in 2016 had distortion on one of the drivers, sent them back to etymotic and got a replacement where there was a significant bass imbalance
now i am on ER3XR's , the mid and high frequency matching is as good as the ER4 series, but again im getting more low bass on one driver than the other, and after a few months of using it, the driver with the stronger bass is now exhibiting distortion
luckily i am using my computer with a USB DAC, i could install equalizer APO and use it to compensate for the lack or excess of bass on one side

If it does distort a lot, then any (even simpler one) IEM measuring rig should be able to pick it up. If it is real bad, I think it is still better to send it back for replacement, and make sure to specifically ask them to match the driver again.

F...
So I might need an Etymotic MMCX to standard MMCX converter. (Will I? Do they exist? I swear I saw some on eBay or Amazon) it would be a shame to butcher the cables on the R4 and the MUC- 2BT1 with pliars and electrical tape. :triportsad:

Any suggestions?

Of course such a thing exists. BUilt my own actually - both a short balanced cable for the ES100 and a right angled adapter with the locking notch.

Built this a few hours ago, originally intended for my other earbuds - but it will work just the same for ER4SR/XR if I used it with some right angled adapter. This particular short cable is made by FiiO for their own BT amp, but it can be mod'ed for balanced audio on ES100.

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #12,470 of 19,246
If it does distort a lot, then any (even simpler one) IEM measuring rig should be able to pick it up. If it is real bad, I think it is still better to send it back for replacement, and make sure to specifically ask them to match the driver again.

Of course such a thing exists. BUilt my own actually - both a short balanced cable for the ES100 and a right angled adapter with the locking notch.
Do you notice a big difference in driving the ER4SR as singel ended/balanced from the ES100?

Waiting for my cable still and i am using the ES100 :D

Dec 14, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #12,471 of 19,246
Do you notice a big difference in driving the ER4SR as singel ended/balanced from the ES100?

Waiting for my cable still and i am using the ES100 :D

Not big by any means, but it is noticeable. Mainly the image is better separated / spread horizontally on the balanced output.

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #12,472 of 19,246
I like the ES100 - I drive it with LDAC from my FiiO M9

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #12,473 of 19,246
I need fo go for a walk and see if my foot step noise really messed things up for me

Not workable :triportsad:.. the loud thumping ruins my walking / enjoying music time - WAY too loud...

I will go back to my FiiO M9 -> SE100 -> (wired) Bose QC20

And will wait until Bose release AptX HD for a on their headphones.... (or some other cool noise cancelling headphones come out that don't have to be shoved in so deep / fit in my small ears)

I have already recommended the ER4XR to a friend who is buying them today...

Enjoy! Thanks for letting me hang out..

PS the post LDAC eq on the ES100 is great!

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #12,474 of 19,246
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but how can you tell you've gotten a good seal with the HF3's, using the included tri-flange tips? My right ear is weird in the stem sticks out past the tragus by about half a cm. Whereas on my left ear, the stem sits level with my tragus.

Edit: I've used the official insertion guide from ety and have tried moisturising the tips. Both give similar results.

To be more specific: Sometimes after insertion, I can feel some pressure in my ear and the audio is a bit "veiled", i.e. cymbal hits aren't as noticeable. Pulling each ear up and gently twisting the cable generally fixes this, but then I'm not getting the volume I should be. Pre-amping or trying different hardware has no noticeable effect.
In general, I know I'm supposed to stop at the 2nd bend but I can't be sure I'm getting there consistently.

Dec 15, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #12,476 of 19,246
I didn't think of that, though I have tried rubbing near my ears and talking to tell whether I had that "head voice". In general, I always notice the head voice, though I can audibly hear the rubbing.

If I'm unable to obtain a proper seal, is there anything smaller than the clear triflanges?

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #12,480 of 19,246
Listening to the ER4SR again is like having regular drinking water after tasting pop, wine, and a bunch of other coloured beverages in the form of other IEMs.

There’s just something so pure and natural about the listening experience. It doesn’t really get old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back