If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 21, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #12,496 of 19,253
10215262.jpg
A note to those with fit problems, I have one of ClieOS' cables with the right-angle connectors as shown in this photo, and it's helped with my fit issues.

With the stock cable the bend of the connectors is right up against my earlobe and I still can't get a good seal with the comfortable small triflanges. The long-stem triflanges (not part of the standard fit kit, I think, but available from Etymotic separately) mostly solve that problem, but it's still not quiiite as solid as I'd like on one side.

(This is with ER4-SR. The ER-4S driver/connector combination was long enough that I didn't have this problem.)

The right-angle connectors ClieOS uses give a few (2-3?) mm of extra potential insertion depth compared to those on the standard cable. For me that extra depth allows a great fit and seal with the stock grey triflanges.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #12,497 of 19,253
I had custom molds made. I like them very much. They are extremely comfortable. I have no regrets having them made. They were a large investment in time and money. I paid $245, which included a $90 fitting fee for the audiologist. It took two weeks for the outsourced company to produce the custom tips, and the audiologist only scheduled my fitting visit once the custom tips arrived. I had to wait two more weeks to get that appointment to pick up the custom molds--that visit only took 5 minutes. So, they really delayed my receipt by making me wait to schedule the follow-up visit until they had the tips on hand.

At any rate, I like them a lot. I got the right in red and the left in blue. That's excellent since Etymotic doesn't differentiate L and R very well. They feel very comfortable in my ears, especially during prolonged listening periods. I expect I should get some lubricant for insertion. Before inserting one time I had previously Q-tipped my ears after dabbing antibiotic ointment on the Q tips. I noticed insertion of the custom tips was very smooth and comfortable with the ointment serving as a lubricant.

The cost was high and is was inconvenient to have the custom tips made. However, I have no regrets. They make wearing the Etymotics much more comfortable. I would say the sound is identical to the triple flanges to me. It's just the comfort that is increased.

Which company made your custom tips? Are they silicon or acrylic? I really wanted customs, but after lots of talk the local company only provides silicon and it would stick out more, so I kind of gave up...

Dec 21, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #12,498 of 19,253
Which company made your custom tips? Are they silicon or acrylic? I really wanted customs, but after lots of talk the local company only provides silicon and it would stick out more, so I kind of gave up...

I had a difficult time finding a place in the Memphis area. I found an audiologist company by google. They most fit hearing aids. Apparently they also make impressions for custom IEMs for some of the musicians at the local mega churches too. They were unfamiliar with etymotic, yet willing to work it out. After i called, the audiologist contacted Etymotic directly. They told her how to take the impressions. They told her to have mid-states laboratories make the custom tips. The audiologist recommended the material to use and i like it. I would have to call them to ask what it was. She said it was a durable material. It feels just rubbery enough. I like them. But, i feel like I have been throwing more and more money into having nice headphones. On the other hand, I think it is worth it. I will greatly appreciate the custom tips on long international flights. I recently got an ES100 bluetooth amp and ClieOS will help me with a short balanced cable. This will save me from needing a separate lousy pair of Bluetooth headphones. Imstead I will be able to use my Etymotics with custom ear tips very much (daily). I am new here. I don’t know if I can post pictures yet but I should do that sometime.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #12,499 of 19,253
I had custom molds made. I like them very much. They are extremely comfortable. I have no regrets having them made. They were a large investment in time and money. I paid $245, which included a $90 fitting fee for the audiologist. It took two weeks for the outsourced company to produce the custom tips, and the audiologist only scheduled my fitting visit once the custom tips arrived. I had to wait two more weeks to get that appointment to pick up the custom molds--that visit only took 5 minutes. So, they really delayed my receipt by making me wait to schedule the follow-up visit until they had the tips on hand.

At any rate, I like them a lot. I got the right in red and the left in blue. That's excellent since Etymotic doesn't differentiate L and R very well. They feel very comfortable in my ears, especially during prolonged listening periods. I expect I should get some lubricant for insertion. Before inserting one time I had previously Q-tipped my ears after dabbing antibiotic ointment on the Q tips. I noticed insertion of the custom tips was very smooth and comfortable with the ointment serving as a lubricant.

The cost was high and is was inconvenient to have the custom tips made. However, I have no regrets. They make wearing the Etymotics much more comfortable. I would say the sound is identical to the triple flanges to me. It's just the comfort that is increased.
Yeah, for something that expensive I'd prefer it to be for an end-game set. I'm relatively new to the world of quality audio, so it's difficult to justify.

As a side question: When replacing filters, does it matter how far you insert the replacement? Mine deformed on being pushed in and so protrude 2-3 mm. Don't want to apply any more pressure for fear of damaging the nozzle.

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #12,500 of 19,253
Yeah, for something that expensive I'd prefer it to be for an end-game set. I'm relatively new to the world of quality audio, so it's difficult to justify.

As a side question: When replacing filters, does it matter how far you insert the replacement? Mine deformed on being pushed in and so protrude 2-3 mm. Don't want to apply any more pressure for fear of damaging the nozzle.

New ER4SR/XR (and ER3) has a metal body, so damage is unlikely (though old ER4P/PT/S/B does have cracking issue on the plastic nozzle). Filter should fit flush to the nozzle. Also god to know that the fabric side of the filter should face inward. That way you can still take it out undamaged using the filter extraction tool if you are careful enough. If the fabric is facing outward, the filter tool will destroy the filter when extracting.

Dec 22, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #12,501 of 19,253
I had a difficult time finding a place in the Memphis area. I found an audiologist company by google. They most fit hearing aids. Apparently they also make impressions for custom IEMs for some of the musicians at the local mega churches too. They were unfamiliar with etymotic, yet willing to work it out. After i called, the audiologist contacted Etymotic directly. They told her how to take the impressions. They told her to have mid-states laboratories make the custom tips. The audiologist recommended the material to use and i like it. I would have to call them to ask what it was. She said it was a durable material. It feels just rubbery enough. I like them. But, i feel like I have been throwing more and more money into having nice headphones. On the other hand, I think it is worth it. I will greatly appreciate the custom tips on long international flights. I recently got an ES100 bluetooth amp and ClieOS will help me with a short balanced cable. This will save me from needing a separate lousy pair of Bluetooth headphones. Imstead I will be able to use my Etymotics with custom ear tips very much (daily). I am new here. I don’t know if I can post pictures yet but I should do that sometime.

I have had multiple custom tips made, and in general they are great. My advice on materials is to go for harder/stiffer over softer/squashier. My Westone tips with Westone's softest silicone ("W-1") lose a very noticeable amount of treble definition compared to stock tips or my harder silicone ("OtoBlast") Westones. My ACS eartips and an early-model Snugs are also of a fairly firm silicone and sound good to me, while a recent-model Snugs in the stretchy material they use now is sadly wanting, at least for my tastes.

YMMV but based on my experience if it were me buying from mid-stateslabs, their MSL 7000 ("It’s slightly firmer than our other silicone materials") is the one I'd get.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #12,502 of 19,253
New ER4SR/XR (and ER3) has a metal body, so damage is unlikely (though old ER4P/PT/S/B does have cracking issue on the plastic nozzle). Filter should fit flush to the nozzle. Also god to know that the fabric side of the filter should face inward. That way you can still take it out undamaged using the filter extraction tool if you are careful enough. If the fabric is facing outward, the filter tool will destroy the filter when extracting.

If only I owned a pair. :) At the moment, I've just got the HF3's.

Dec 27, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #12,503 of 19,253
Hi. I've never owned a set of etynoticx before. What would you recommend for a metal, classical, jazz, hip hop listener

Dec 27, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #12,504 of 19,253
I recommend it as a reference IEM for your collection. Basically a standard to judge by.

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #12,505 of 19,253
Hi. I've never owned a set of etynoticx before. What would you recommend for a metal, classical, jazz, hip hop listener
I recommend them. It's worth mentioning that they aren't the most spacious sending IEMs (especially vertically). However, you can hear every detail no matter track. For reference, I listen to all of the genres you mentioned, from Chopin and Dream Theater to Aesop Rock and John Zorn. The Ety's always keep up.
The only music I don't recommend them for is something that requires a more 3D or bass heavy sound (like say, Dark Ambient). Or any low bitrate/badly recorded audio. :p

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #12,506 of 19,253
Last question 3 or 4 , and sr or xl

Dec 28, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #12,508 of 19,253
Honestly if reading all of these pages in this thread still doesn’t give you a good idea which one you should get, then you should buy all of them and find out with your own ears.

Unless of course, you want us to do your research for you.
Sorry not had time to read through whole thread. My 3 year old son does not allow much reading time! Was just wondering what the general opinion was for those iems.

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #12,509 of 19,253
I have the old ER4 and bought a pair of the ER4XR earlier this year. The new XRs to me provide enough bass boost while also being "fun" enough for less-than-analytical listening. I do not regret buying the SR, despite not hearing them. I still love both, but to me the XR is the true consumer IEM. If you want reference, I guess buy the SR. As for 3 vs 4, I have no comment. I think someone said the 3SR is like a budget 4XR, but I can truly only comment on what I have heard.

The cable on my 4XRs just started giving me problems unfortunately. I should have used the clip, since the place where it died is right next to the left bud. Anybody else have cable troubles yet? Already bought a new cable, but im worried about the durability of the new cable now.

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #12,510 of 19,253
I have the ER4SR and I do not find the bass to be lacking by much. If needed, I can always EQ it up by a few DB in the low end to match the FQ of the XR. For reference, I also own CA Andromeda and Focal Clear so my preference is clean, fast bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back