If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 29, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #12,512 of 19,253
Some thaughts about Etymotic:

Change of ownership; does anyone know how the new owner is?

Massdrop failed since Etymotic failed to respond.
Etty-Dave (on head-fi) seems to have taken a long vacation?

I'm still interested in getting the 4SR and I know that the 4XR often has a very good price at places like Amazon. So I'm looking around for a good priced 4SR and I noticed that Etymotic themselves does not sell it anymore. Only the 4XR.

What is going on?

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #12,513 of 19,253
Dec 29, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #12,515 of 19,253
Same case from where I live, there is no one carrying the etys line up so it has to be ordered online or wish someone would sell a used pair in the local audio forums for you to have one.

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #12,516 of 19,253
I pulled the trigger on a pair of 4SR before it's too late.
Since it looks like Etymotic is moving from product quality to profit (new management) I'm thinking they started making er3 in China and has stopped production of er4 since they costs alot more to produce with the extreme QC etc. That would explain why they couldn't deliver on Massdrop and also the seemingly low stock on er4.

This is my guessing based on what I read and have seen in forums. Maybe no reality in it at all.

I hope the legend never dies.

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #12,517 of 19,253
I pulled the trigger on a pair of 4SR before it's too late.
Since it looks like Etymotic is moving from product quality to profit (new management) I'm thinking they started making er3 in China and has stopped production of er4 since they costs alot more to produce with the extreme QC etc. That would explain why they couldn't deliver on Massdrop and also the seemingly low stock on er4.

This is my guessing based on what I read and have seen in forums. Maybe no reality in it at all.

I hope the legend never dies.

Etymotic does have a history of making their lower end models in China and only making the higher end models in the U,S., going all the way back to the old ER6. You might have imagining things a bit too much.

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #12,518 of 19,253
I hope I'm very very wrong :)

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #12,519 of 19,253
Still pondering on which etymotic to get...

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #12,522 of 19,253
Hmm in that case I think I'll go sr and manually bass boost. Now to decided whether to go 4 over 3...

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #12,525 of 19,253
Some thaughts about Etymotic:

Change of ownership; does anyone know how the new owner is?

Massdrop failed since Etymotic failed to respond.
Etty-Dave (on head-fi) seems to have taken a long vacation?

I'm still interested in getting the 4SR and I know that the 4XR often has a very good price at places like Amazon. So I'm looking around for a good priced 4SR and I noticed that Etymotic themselves does not sell it anymore. Only the 4XR.

What is going on?

Happy New Year everybody. :)

Sorry, I occasionally read but have not posted as much as I previously have. I don't have quite as much free time these days, but I will do what I can to post on a more regular basis.

I can definitively confirm that the 4SR/XR are not being discontinued. I think some retailers are just out of stock at Christmas. Hopefully, going forward, we see less of that.

There certainly has been some conjecture here about the change of ownership. Over the years, I think Etymotic has had a really solid technical approach to making great sounding products (which I'm obviously biased towards) and, while we've had some wonderful sales folks here, as a company we have simply been more engineering driven. Going forward, we plan on continuing to make products with solid technical design, but the hope is that there will be more of an effort to grow the brand and the distribution network. Many here have commented on how difficult it is to find our products at times and that is something that we hope to improve, although growth takes time.

TL/DR, I'm still here. We're still working on products and we will be pushing to keep putting out products that we think are cool, and hope you like them too.

As far as Massdrop goes, I don't know if that's in our future or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back