If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 17, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #12,481 of 19,254
Listening to the ER4SR again is like having regular drinking water after tasting pop, wine, and a bunch of other coloured beverages in the form of other IEMs.

There’s just something so pure and natural about the listening experience. It doesn’t really get old.

Very good analogy. Was recommended the UM Mentor V3 for “reference” sound but after an hour or so listening, I can safely say that the ER4SR takes the cake for uncolored/flat sound (at least to my ears that is).

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #12,482 of 19,254
I tried the Final Audio ear tips recently, as I was getting sensitive from using the foams too much over the weekend.

I was surprised that they fit! I used the large that my wife doesn't use on her E2000s. A few things though, they sometimes go in too far, and when that happens, I lose my seal. I want to say I need a bigger pair, but when they seal they feel just slightly too big, so I am not sure if that is a good idea.

They are also just a little too loose. I keep losing one side in my ear if I don't pinch it to the earphone when I take it out. It's a little annoying, I am thinking of adding some of that thin white plastic sealing tape they sometimes use for water pipes on the nozzle to make it just a little tighter.

Anyways, it's like putting a breathe of new life in my ER4XRs. These days, the extreme isolation was stopping me from using them, since I stopped commuting on a noisy train and my wife is chatty and gets mad when I don't answer. The isolation now feels about the same as regular IEMs, and they are less painful to put in and take off than they used to be.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #12,483 of 19,254
Very good analogy. Was recommended the UM Mentor V3 for “reference” sound but after an hour or so listening, I can safely say that the ER4SR takes the cake for uncolored/flat sound (at least to my ears that is).

Still in my collection because of this. Using it as a reference. Not to mention the awesome fit and comfort due to its super light weight. Once you get past the deep insertion (ha). So many IEMs, even the Andromeda, had to go because of shallow insertion or poor comfort/fit.

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #12,484 of 19,254
I tried the Final Audio ear tips recently, as I was getting sensitive from using the foams too much over the weekend.

I was surprised that they fit! I used the large that my wife doesn't use on her E2000s. A few things though, they sometimes go in too far, and when that happens, I lose my seal. I want to say I need a bigger pair, but when they seal they feel just slightly too big, so I am not sure if that is a good idea.

They are also just a little too loose. I keep losing one side in my ear if I don't pinch it to the earphone when I take it out. It's a little annoying, I am thinking of adding some of that thin white plastic sealing tape they sometimes use for water pipes on the nozzle to make it just a little tighter.

Anyways, it's like putting a breathe of new life in my ER4XRs. These days, the extreme isolation was stopping me from using them, since I stopped commuting on a noisy train and my wife is chatty and gets mad when I don't answer. The isolation now feels about the same as regular IEMs, and they are less painful to put in and take off than they used to be.

Thanks for the suggestion!

i always break the seal before i pull out any IEMs out of my ears by raising my eyebrows and moving my ears back (you know, that maneuver that dogs do when they hear something :k701smile:)

i regularly use LL on my other IEMs, but i use the slightly smaller L size on the Etys so it can go a bit deeper and for a seal slightly more inside. still far more comfortable and not as deep as the triple flanges do.

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #12,485 of 19,254
I really do like the M0, but being tiny has a disadvantage....too easy to slip out of shirt pockets! This last drop yesterday (over 4' face down onto ceramic tile, screen popped out a little [for the second time]) just rendered the push-button dead, so the only means I have of turning it on and off is via the reset button and the screen has to be set to be on continuously... volume still functions fine and it works nominally via touch screen and still plays beautifully - just is a lot less convenient to use now and can't be turned off...LOL

If my 3D printer weren't down and focused on house work at the moment I'd have a nice lanyard case designed and printed for the M0. It REALLY needs some sort of leash on it...never been dropped when actually using it, only ever when transporting it in a shirt pocket...too dang small for it's own good... LOL

i always break the seal before i pull out any IEMs out of my ears by raising my eyebrows and moving my ears back (you know, that maneuver that dogs do when they hear something :k701smile:)

i regularly use LL on my other IEMs, but i use the slightly smaller L size on the Etys so it can go a bit deeper and for a seal slightly more inside. still far more comfortable and not as deep as the triple flanges do.

I guess it's time to raid all of my wife's spare final audio ear tips :D

Still need just a teeny tiny more grip though.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #12,486 of 19,254
The massdrop for ER4SR/XR failed since Etymotic didn't respond.

Feeling quite disappointed if I'm honest. But on the other hand I can get something else and keep enjoying my ER3SE for which I just got a balanced cable :) 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181217202838540_COVER.jpg

[edit]
I'm interested in getting a pair of iems that does not insert all the way to the brain. I'm looking at Massdrop Plus but they seeme to have much more bass than the er3se/4sr and im very happy with the bass on my er3se. Do you guys have some recommendations? My budget is about $300.
[/edit]

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #12,487 of 19,254
The massdrop for ER4SR/XR failed since Etymotic didn't respond.

Feeling quite disappointed if I'm honest. But on the other hand I can get something else and keep enjoying my ER3SE for which I just got a balanced cable :)

[edit]
I'm interested in getting a pair of iems that does not insert all the way to the brain. I'm looking at Massdrop Plus but they seeme to have much more bass than the er3se/4sr and im very happy with the bass on my er3se. Do you guys have some recommendations? My budget is about $300.
[/edit]

I really like the Periodic Audio Be ($300) and Mg ($100) IEMs. Their bass is more present than in the Etys, but it's not excessive, and they still satisfy the same neutrality and detail cravings for me that the Etys do.

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #12,488 of 19,254
Made some changes to a cable I had lying around (Campfire Audio Reference 8) so that it's ER4 and balance friendly.

1. Changed connected to Immersive male MMCX, very tight and satisfying click, the size also works when inserted directly into the ER4.
2. Made a right angle connector using off the shelf MMCX right angle connectors + female connector + shrink tube.
3. Changed the plug into a swappable SE > Balanced plug, so I can use 3.5, 2.5, or 4.4 depending on whatever source I need.

Sonic changes aside, these small mods makes it much more compatible with various sources and have better ergonomics. I hardly solder (only when I need to) so while it does require a bit of DIY, it's also not very difficult to do.

IMG_7949.JPG
IMG_7947.jpg
IMG_7946.jpg

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #12,489 of 19,254
Just to be clear, it's not so much whether the pen is audible, it's whether the high-frequency "click" part is shut out so that only the "clunk" remains.
Yeah, I hear the click rather than a thump.
I find the Ety foams too harsh and unforgiving of smaller ear canals (they feel more like a medium size tip). Hence they sit shallow in my ears. I've had mixed mileage with the solid grey tri flanges, which I'm trying again as I type. They don't slide in quite as easily as the clear tri flanges, though I am noticing subtler details in music.
Not really sure where to go from here. I'd prefer a good seal (isolation) and comfort over anything else.

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #12,493 of 19,254
Had a chance to demo the ER4XR today. Felt much easier to insert these compared to my hf3's. Less "push", more "twist gently". The strain relief certainly helped.
Unfortunately, my only solution seems to be going for custom molds, since my right ear appears to have a slightly different shape. Not exactly crazy about dropping $35+ AUD on tips I may never use.

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #12,494 of 19,254
Had a chance to demo the ER4XR today. Felt much easier to insert these compared to my hf3's. Less "push", more "twist gently". The strain relief certainly helped.
Unfortunately, my only solution seems to be going for custom molds, since my right ear appears to have a slightly different shape. Not exactly crazy about dropping $35+ AUD on tips I may never use.

I had custom molds made. I like them very much. They are extremely comfortable. I have no regrets having them made. They were a large investment in time and money. I paid $245, which included a $90 fitting fee for the audiologist. It took two weeks for the outsourced company to produce the custom tips, and the audiologist only scheduled my fitting visit once the custom tips arrived. I had to wait two more weeks to get that appointment to pick up the custom molds--that visit only took 5 minutes. So, they really delayed my receipt by making me wait to schedule the follow-up visit until they had the tips on hand.

At any rate, I like them a lot. I got the right in red and the left in blue. That's excellent since Etymotic doesn't differentiate L and R very well. They feel very comfortable in my ears, especially during prolonged listening periods. I expect I should get some lubricant for insertion. Before inserting one time I had previously Q-tipped my ears after dabbing antibiotic ointment on the Q tips. I noticed insertion of the custom tips was very smooth and comfortable with the ointment serving as a lubricant.

The cost was high and is was inconvenient to have the custom tips made. However, I have no regrets. They make wearing the Etymotics much more comfortable. I would say the sound is identical to the triple flanges to me. It's just the comfort that is increased.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back