If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 13, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #12,451 of 19,254
Hey everyone, do you guys think 2V output from Shanling M0 or LG V20, V30 is enough to blow these BA drivers out? I happened to blow 2V out of my M0 line out straight into ER4SR. Hope they are all right. They still sound good though but the bias got the better of me.

If it doesn't sound weird or have any cracking sound then the chance is your ER4SR is fine.

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #12,452 of 19,254
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #12,453 of 19,254
OK

Progress

I called the company and the dude on the phone said. Have you tried the larger triple flanges? And told me to aim for my opposite eye.

Success!

Now I am evaluating the level of bass and sub bass I want.

I may need the XR'S.

I am testing with music I really know. That has a lot of 5 string bass and Über subs on kick drums. It's all a tiny bit polite. Lou Reed's song "Ecstasy"

But I don't know. Some insane low foot pedal stuff on Kei Kottto Organ music before Bach is pretty loud..... Hmmmm. Does sound good! The sub foot pedal stuff is actually so loud I think I can feel it vibrate my trouser legs....!

Amazing.

I need fo go for a walk and see if my foot step noise really messed things up for me

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #12,455 of 19,254
OK

Progress

I called the company and the dude on the phone said. Have you tried the larger triple flanges? And told me to aim for my opposite eye.

Success!

Now I am evaluating the level of bass and sub bass I want.

I may need the XR'S.

I am testing with music I really know. That has a lot of 5 string bass and Über subs on kick drums. It's all a tiny bit polite. Lou Reed's song "Ecstasy"

But I don't know. Some insane low foot pedal stuff on Kei Kottto Organ music before Bach is pretty loud..... Hmmmm. Does sound good! The sub foot pedal stuff is actually so loud I think I can feel it vibrate my trouser legs....!

Amazing.

I need fo go for a walk and see if my foot step noise really messed things up for me

just use a standard single flange eartips with an adapter. I wouldn't even be using any etys if didn't discover this revelation.

i myself used to put double flanges on my etys, now i use the Final Audio E without using adapters.

to eliminate occlusion effect, use shirt clips or use them over ears

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #12,456 of 19,254
to eliminate occlusion effect, use shirt clips or use them over ears
Lots of confusion here about microphonics (noise transmitted along the cable) and occlusion noise (resonance caused by low-frequency waves trapped inside a sealed ear canal). Like @ClieOS said on the last page, shirt clips will help with microphonics, but not occlusion resonance. Deep insertion or venting are the only ways I know of reducing/eliminating occlusion noise. If we need our IEMs to be isolating (which is the whole point of owning an Ety, right?!) then you need that deep insertion.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #12,457 of 19,254
Lots of confusion here about microphonics (noise transmitted along the cable) and occlusion noise (resonance caused by low-frequency waves trapped inside a sealed ear canal). Like @ClieOS said on the last page, shirt clips will help with microphonics, but not occlusion resonance. Deep insertion or venting are the only ways I know of reducing/eliminating occlusion noise. If we need our IEMs to be isolating (which is the whole point of owning an Ety, right?!) then you need that deep insertion.

you're right, they are two different things, but even though they are different, the microphonic effect also amplifies (or become amplified) in relation to the occlusion effect. if i bump or flick the cable with my finger the noise would sound similar to the occlusion effect, albeit not as deep sounding or rumbly

deep insertion depends greatly on the person's ear canal. the triple flanges are a definite no go for me because there is a slight bend in my ear canal, especially on the left ears. pushing it no matter how deep wont get any seal at all because of that bend. i can get somewhat a seal on my right ear, but because now the nozzle a bit angled, the sound becomes a bit weird

using even the single flange for me on the etys got the full seal and no occlusion. no bumps when i walk, no jaw noise when i eat, i don't hear my own amplified heart beat and that weird muscle noise when i turn my neck on my ears :o2smile:

i use one size down on the Etys from my usual L size, because it can go a bit deeper with the etys slim form factor

that's why i suggested the use of other eartips, in cases the person has a similar situation like mine

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #12,458 of 19,254
C43EB59A-A623-4660-A466-9F670A9DCA1A.png
I really appreciate everyone's help.

Which tips?

@chinmie

I think we may have similar ears

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #12,459 of 19,254
BTW I have a choice of 3.5mm regular output and a 2???? balanced output

I haven't tried the ballaced - should I?

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #12,460 of 19,254
Dec 13, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #12,461 of 19,254
Thanks

Hey! just discovered something. If I pull at the top of my ears really hard upwards (as if doing a Star Trek Dr Spok impersonation, suddenly I get

100% PERFECT bass and sub bass
more extended (totally fantastic) high frequency

The minute I let go - bass & treble reduces.

I think I definetly have a bend in my ear canal.

I am thinking / hoping that a custom mold will be able to deliver the sound "round the corner". Could this be correct?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #12,462 of 19,254
Thanks

Hey! just discovered something. If I pull at the top of my ears really hard (as if doing a Star Trek Dr Spok impersonation, suddenly I get

100% PERFECT bass and sub bass
more extended (totally fantastic) high frequency

The minute I let go - bass & treble reduces.

I think I definetly have a bend in my ear canal.

I am thinking / hoping that a custom mold will be able to deliver the sound "round the corner". Could this be correct?

I'd keep trying with universal-fit eartips until you find one that works for you.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #12,463 of 19,254
BTW I have a choice of 3.5mm regular output and a 2???? balanced output

I haven't tried the ballaced - should I?

Balanced output always improve image separation (thus help a bit on soundstage). However, you do need a new (balanced) cable for it. Whether it is worth the effort is however mostly a personal opinion. These days I tend to go for balanced output as much as I can.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #12,464 of 19,254
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but how can you tell you've gotten a good seal with the HF3's, using the included tri-flange tips? My right ear is weird in the stem sticks out past the tragus by about half a cm. Whereas on my left ear, the stem sits level with my tragus.

Edit: I've used the official insertion guide from ety and have tried moisturising the tips. Both give similar results.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #12,465 of 19,254
From last checking of several IEM measurement equipment maker, none of them really have accurate measurement over bass and upper treble region due to technical constraint of artificial ears. If very accurate measurement can not be done, then it is impossible to fully match the channels over these regions. However, I do wonder whether it might just be your pair of ER4 that has a problem?
a pair of ER4XR's i got in 2016 had distortion on one of the drivers, sent them back to etymotic and got a replacement where there was a significant bass imbalance
now i am on ER3XR's , the mid and high frequency matching is as good as the ER4 series, but again im getting more low bass on one driver than the other, and after a few months of using it, the driver with the stronger bass is now exhibiting distortion
luckily i am using my computer with a USB DAC, i could install equalizer APO and use it to compensate for the lack or excess of bass on one side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back