If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 21, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #7,396 of 19,251
  [...] The new ER4SR driver is *slightly* different than the old one (I'm not going to oversell that), but it hits our target curve a bit more closely and is about 6dB more sensitive than the old model, which we think is nice. [...]

If you are allowed to at this stage, can you share the raw FR of the new ER4SR (compared to our beloved ER•4S)?

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #7,397 of 19,251

Detachable Cable: First thing I can clarify: we moved the resistor out of the splitter.  We stayed with the splitter tube because some felt that it was part of the industrial design that people identify as Etymotic (plus it gave us a chance to laser etch our logo on the side). 

if this is not an electrical component, I have to be honest and say that would be a huge waste. The resistor part makes the cable much more difficult to easily wrap and store in cases... I'd still buy it though :)

And I would also definitely love a graph vs. the er4s!!! raw and/or compensated.

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #7,398 of 19,251
Dave, this is all really interesting information.  Thanks very much.

Can you say in what respects the ES4R is closer to your target curve, e.g. what a devoted ER-4S listener might find different?  Though I do realize you didn't want to oversell that.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #7,400 of 19,251
  Any chance of getting frequency response graphs?

Will the bass boost model be isolated to the lower sub bass? or is it going to rise into the higher 100hz+ region?

My main curiosity is what can you tell us about the sound in terms of frequency response, harmonic distortion levels, etc.? :)

The er4s is amazing, and any improvement at all is the best earphone on the planet, period. So you have sold me a pair already if you truly mean the response is "any" closer to your target, which i prefer.

Yeah, I'm not ready to publish graphs yet, but we will be doing that prior to launch. 

For the SR version, there isn't any lift to the bass, it's flat (which sounds like your preference, based on your post).  The lift on the XR isn't huge; it's about 4dB at it's peak.  I'm going from memory here (I'm posting from home without the graphs in front of me) but the corner frequency (+3dB point) is about 100 Hz.  It's starting point is higher in frequency but it's a gradual slope, so it doesn't impede too much on the midrange or make the midbass too tubby (in our opinion).  Interestingly, at the recent Axpona show, we found the preference was split between the SR and the XR.  About half preferred the flat response of the SR and the other half felt the XRs were more to their preference.  More than a few ER4P owners said this what they always wanted out of an ER.  That's a somewhat small sample size, so we'll have to see how it shakes out when more people listen.  I'm quite looking forward to the feedback from the community, actually.

The THD levels shouldn't really be different than the previous model.

Thanks for the compliments.  I'm glad you've liked the er4s for so long.  I hope this new one suits you.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #7,401 of 19,251
  Hey EtyDave.. has the cable material changed in any way that may reduce the noise heard when the cable rubs against our cheeks, beards or shirt collars?  It seems like the locking collar and key for the MMCX connector was a clever way to address concerns on its wear, though less noisy replacements like the Linum won't benefit from that.  Thanks.

The cable material is different than the older model.  It's a bit softer and more supple (*cough* marketing term) than the old cable so it feels nicer in the hand than the old cable.  Preliminary feedback has been people feel it's slightly less microphonic.

But realistically, the earphone still seals deep in the bony portion of the ear canal, which doesn't help microphonics.  As before, using the shirt clip will help, as will wrapping them over the ear (which is slightly easier than before because we modified the angle of the strain relief).

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #7,402 of 19,251

If you are allowed to at this stage, can you share the raw FR of the new ER4SR (compared to our beloved ER•4S)?

Not quite yet, but there will be a comparison.  I am sure that's the first question that all existing ERS owners will have about the new version.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #7,403 of 19,251
On one hand I am happy that the new models are indeed new; on the other hand I kind of sad that this might be the end of an era.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #7,404 of 19,251

if this is not an electrical component, I have to be honest and say that would be a huge waste. The resistor part makes the cable much more difficult to easily wrap and store in cases... I'd still buy it though :)

And I would also definitely love a graph vs. the er4s!!! raw and/or compensated.

As a practical person, I get this.

The good thing is that, with a user replaceable cable, it does open up the possibility of us offering other cable options.  So for everybody, feel free to make suggestions.  I can't guarantee we'll be able to make each suggestion, but if there is enough demand for a particular configuration, it's certainly possible.  I know I already have a couple ideas bouncing around in my head. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #7,405 of 19,251
  Dave, this is all really interesting information.  Thanks very much.

Can you say in what respects the ES4R is closer to your target curve, e.g. what a devoted ER-4S listener might find different?  Though I do realize you didn't want to oversell that.

I've actually administered a number of blind listening tests in my years at ER.  I can confidently say that I can't confidently predict what a devoted listener might find different.  :wink:

I think we'll be able to have a better discussion when I can get some graphs up for everybody to see.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #7,406 of 19,251
  Should we found good improvement from the new models versus previous ones?
Or -+ the same with a slightly difference?

Well, I guess this is the $64,000 question.

It can be hard to quantify "good improvement" because one person's subtle improvement is the next person's huge difference.  Hi-Fi marketing (headphones or otherwise) often treads on the minutiae and tries to convince people to feel bad about their existing product with hopes they will abandon it in favor of the new model.  

From my (incredibly biased) perspective, the new ER4SR's primary improvements are in the quality of the build and materials.  The actual frequency response does get a little bit closer to our target curve (which makes us happy) so in that regards it's better, but it's a slight evolution, not a completely different sound.  I'm going to leave it up to the listeners to quantify the differences.  Whenever you change something that's been around for 20+ years, there will always be some that prefer the new model and some that prefer the old model.  If I had the choice, I'd buy the new model over the old one, but again, I'm incredibly biased.   For those who love their existing ER4s, I expect you'll really like the new one, but I also expect it will not make you want to throw your old one in a wood chipper.

The ER4XR is a bit different.  I never really considered the ER4P to have a bass boost.  Yes, it was a bit warmer sounding because the frequency response tilts with the lower impedance.  This has the result of reducing the high frequencies as well as increasing the lower frequencies a bit.  But it's not really a pronounced rise in the low end; it's different.  The XR is basically flat with a tuned bass lift.  While it's not a 15dB thumping boost, it does have a different sound than we've offered before.  Of the two models, this is the biggest departure from the old sound.  This is trying to address the requests over the years from loyal Etymotic fans that said that they like the sound quality but want just a little bit more low end.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #7,407 of 19,251
  On one hand I am happy that the new models are indeed new; on the other hand I kind of sad that this might be the end of an era.

It's always tough to replace something that's been more or less unchanged for 20 years.  Undoubtedly some will prefer the new ones and some will say we never should have changed anything.  In the end, it's difficult to move forward by staying in the same place so we move forward with the hope that we made intelligent decisions and that folks really like the new ones.

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #7,408 of 19,251
for "cable noise", if it closer to a hf5 than an old er4, then I want one now! ^_^.

about the sensitivity, I believe you got in a sweet spot. the hf5 is a little too sensitive for average DAPs and their usual background noises, it motivates me to add my amp to get clean background. at least for me and my quiet listening. 
the MK5 is more fitting for all around usage when it comes to sensitivity, so 98db @0.1v should be just fine for me. super easy to drive but not horribly sensitive to hiss.

all in all I expect good stuff.

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #7,409 of 19,251
Many thanks, EtyDave!
From my experience all of dynamic Etymotics are better from one model to another model. I mean newer models everytime is better than previous. So, hope with BA classics of Ety's we will have a new era of the new Ety's models.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #7,410 of 19,251

Well, I guess this is the $64,000 question.

It can be hard to quantify "good improvement" because one person's subtle improvement is the next person's huge difference.  Hi-Fi marketing (headphones or otherwise) often treads on the minutiae and tries to convince people to feel bad about their existing product with hopes they will abandon it in favor of the new model.  

From my (incredibly biased) perspective, the new ER4SR's primary improvements are in the quality of the build and materials.  The actual frequency response does get a little bit closer to our target curve (which makes us happy) so in that regards it's better, but it's a slight evolution, not a completely different sound.  I'm going to leave it up to the listeners to quantify the differences.  Whenever you change something that's been around for 20+ years, there will always be some that prefer the new model and some that prefer the old model.  If I had the choice, I'd buy the new model over the old one, but again, I'm incredibly biased.   For those who love their existing ER4s, I expect you'll really like the new one, but I also expect it will not make you want to throw your old one in a wood chipper.

The ER4XR is a bit different.  I never really considered the ER4P to have a bass boost.  Yes, it was a bit warmer sounding because the frequency response tilts with the lower impedance.  This has the result of reducing the high frequencies as well as increasing the lower frequencies a bit.  But it's not really a pronounced rise in the low end; it's different.  The XR is basically flat with a tuned bass lift.  While it's not a 15dB thumping boost, it does have a different sound than we've offered before.  Of the two models, this is the biggest departure from the old sound.  This is trying to address the requests over the years from loyal Etymotic fans that said that they like the sound quality but want just a little bit more low end.

That's the same reason why I dislike the ER4P the most, the reduced highs. My preference is still the ER4B with Etymotic red filters. With proper deep insertion, the bass on the ER4B is precise and tight though not as warm as the ER4P. I've never found the ER4B's treble over powering which many people complained about....maybe it's because I'm using the red filters. Does the ER4SR even come close to the ER4B with red filters? I love changes as long as it's a good change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back