If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 16, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #7,336 of 19,253

Of course. It seems, when they discontinue current ER4 series, they'll discontinue P-to-S cable too and they'll compansate it with iem cable. So, we can also discuss this "cable upgrade" 
biggrin.gif

That's why I saved for a brand new ER4B, when it's still available, and ER4P+P2S will be my next.

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #7,338 of 19,253
Guess what!? M-M-C-X. Hate that.

Disappoint. Plus they don't seem to have any extra lock mechanism/connector reinforcement like the Q-Jays 2 for instance. I'd rather have a non-replaceable cable that lasts 10 years than some cocky MMCX cable with connection issues and loose pins. 

I'm not buying anything MMCX anytime soon. Maybe if it's an Etymotic design, but I'll think twice. Too many bad experiences.

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #7,341 of 19,253
Guess what!? M-M-C-X. Hate that.

I am so going to get myself another ER4P/S/B before those d*mn MMCX takes over.

...another case of 'if it isn't broken, let breaks it right now'.
angry_face.gif

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #7,342 of 19,253

I am so going to get myself another ER4P/S/B before those d*mn MMCX takes over.

...another case of 'if it isn't broken, let breaks it right now'.
angry_face.gif

Ditto! I'll probably get a back up ER-4PT myself.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #7,346 of 19,253

Whah wah, less excited. Probably the most affordable way to do it for them. I appreciate the gesture from them though. I wonder if that is one of the things that changes the sound signature. I had awwan adapters with mmcx
connectors and thought the sound turned more consumer friendly and bassier, right away. But not in a good way

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #7,348 of 19,253

No, making detachable cables replaceable :wink:

Consider these: (1) By the look of the new MMCX connector's extra molding around the plug itself, there is a chance a normal MMCX plug won't fit easily, and (2) Given the 'pod' on the cable still exists and the earpieces are still small in size, Etymotic probably still has the resistors on the cable, meaning the earpieces are still the same between the 4XR and 4SR.

That makes me wonder - is it possible that, by using the molding itself, Etymotic has created a system to try to stop people from able to swap cable between the new 4XR and 4SR? The only logical reason that stops Etymotic from selling replacement cable directly to the customer all these years is likely the fact that people will probably end up getting 3 different cable with just one set of earpieces instead of having to buy 3 set of different ER4 models all together. So it is logical to think Etymotic might try to do that same with the new models as well - by selling replacement cable to the customer directly but make it impossible to exchange cable between the two models?

Of course this is mere guessing and I certainly hope it won't be the case. But if it turns out to be the case, I'll be hugely disappointed.

Maybe it was a good choice to buy er4b a month ago...?

It may be unique than er4s or er4p!

There is really nothing that unique between 4P, 4S, and 4B, except for the difference in tuning.

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #7,349 of 19,253
  Maybe it was a good choice to buy er4b a month ago...?

It may be unique than er4s or er4p!

If you refer to my post, ER-4B wasn't at discount. 
It seems there's no authorized seller that sells ER-4B for now. It's on stock in Etymotic website but on Amazon.com it says discontinued by manufacturer. Interesting.

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That makes me wonder - is it possible that, by using the molding itself, Etymotic has created a system to try to stop people from able to swap cable between the new 4XR and 4SR? The only logical reason that stops Etymotic from selling replacement cable directly to the customer all these years is likely the fact that people will probably end up getting 3 different cable with just one set of earpieces instead of having to buy 3 set of different ER4 models all together. So it is logical to think Etymotic might try to do that same with the new models as well - by selling replacement cable to the customer directly but make it impossible to exchange cable between the two models?

Of course this is mere guessing and I certainly hope it won't be the case. But if it turns out to be the case, I'll be hugely disappointed.

Me too, ClieOS. Horrible scenario.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #7,350 of 19,253
I don't see all this as dark as you guys.
- at least it's going to be easier to remove, put back. maybe with that connection, it's the plug that will pop out when the cable gets tangled in a door knob. I remember almost removing part of my brain in a such a process a few times because the cable wouldn't move and the IEM was so deep in my ear.

- another almost good point I can see is that it won't turn stupidly like on my shure. so in practice it's probably nothing worth noting.

what I hope for obviously is cable noises closer to the cheap etymotics by default, it was my reason to run away from the er4 when I love ety so much, so if there is a deal breaker for me, that's really where it will be revealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back