If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 17, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #7,352 of 19,251
Dusted off my ER4PT and gave it some usage with Shure foam tips I had. I love this combo, the sound is a bit leaner than with proper deep insertion, but my ears cannot stand the vacuum pressure. With the foam tips I get no pressure build up and wearing them if effortless.

Such detail and clarity from a single BA. There really isn't much to improve here, more BA drivers would perhaps get a different frequency response, but as far as decay and snap goes, the ER4PT with S adapter is as good as I've heard it. Also with these tips quite spacious and airy sound, doesn't feel like any sound is trapped between the driver and eardrum, it's all really effortless. Plus these foamies are pretty easy to take in and out.

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #7,353 of 19,251

I've also tried this combo recently and love it, great combo in terms of both sound and comfort! Even triple flanges are so comfortable for me, I like olives more. Enjoy with these.

By the way, great shot :)

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #7,354 of 19,251
Nice someone else also uses these tips.

I also have an Etymotic HF5, and using the S adapter on that also gives an interesting tuning. Too bad these tips are really hard to get off from the stem, swapping around isn't really encouraged. :)

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #7,355 of 19,251
  I don't see all this as dark as you guys.
- at least it's going to be easier to remove, put back. maybe with that connection, it's the plug that will pop out when the cable gets tangled in a door knob. I remember almost removing part of my brain in a such a process a few times because the cable wouldn't move and the IEM was so deep in my ear.

- another almost good point I can see is that it won't turn stupidly like on my shure. so in practice it's probably nothing worth noting.

what I hope for obviously is cable noises closer to the cheap etymotics by default, it was my reason to run away from the er4 when I love ety so much, so if there is a deal breaker for me, that's really where it will be revealed.

To prevent your ER4s being tangled in a door knob or something, please do keep the wires in your jacket, shirt or whatever could be used as a shield. The scenario could be horrible if your ER4s happen to be deep in your ears - the negative pressure would be strong enough to tare out your eardrum !

And please do take very good use of the small collar-clip, it reduces the cable noise if properly clamped.

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #7,356 of 19,251
Having er4s for days, profoundly enjoying it! 

Still, haven't seen the Minibox ES amp mentioned in this thread, to my ears they pair up beautifully... 

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #7,357 of 19,251

I am so going to get myself another ER4P/S/B before those d*mn MMCX takes over.

...another case of 'if it isn't broken, let breaks it right now'.
angry_face.gif

Sharing your skills/knowledge and your superb cable/adapter + feedback with the community certainly had an effect on Etymotic to suddenly push forward their new product.  Not a coincidence, if anyone disagree I personally don't care or bother with arguing with a random avatar...  

But ClieOS is more or less right, time to hoard what some of us know wasn't broken (or a matter of preference), the driver's etc. and then we can all pray for that ClioOS will continue sharing his cable/effort with us, but quite understandable if he choose not to since he has a real life outside of HF....

I just hoarded my third Etymotic ER-4 from Ebay for $110 to stock up with one of my great ClieOS's cables that I have stocked up on as well... 

Not selling anything, a religious belief or trying to be part of social gathering, but the Etymotic ER-4 (P/S), original, could right now be a great (classic) investment and if it sounds like **** to your ears, you wouldn't be reading this!

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #7,358 of 19,251
Making detachable cables actually replaceable...

Number one handsome boy.

Am I reading this correctly - the originals were removable? I have an S and won't upgrade. I have an amp. But, In case there's a failure, I can replace the cable on its own?

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #7,360 of 19,251
As a proud owner of ER-4B, just curious about what is the best eartips for ER-4B?
I can't imagine there is anything better than the ER foam tips.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #7,361 of 19,251
Comply's. Hands down. Soak them in hydrogen per for about 15 seconds, squeeze them out and rinse with water, squeeze them out again let them dry and away you go.

Of note. I find with any IEM and any tip. Take them out after about 5 minutes in your ears after they have heated them up and re insert them.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #7,363 of 19,251
ER4SR...

Stil a Knowles 29689 inside? Or a different BA, for which a very interesting story and development might follow....

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #7,365 of 19,251

There's no information about it, still waiting. I sent an e-mail to Etymotic, if they answer I'll share.

Doubt it will be anything else. There is almost no other BA that can fit the Etymotic ideal curve so perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back