If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 4, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #6,406 of 19,246
@jeffyh

It doesn't surprise me a lot as the UE has got a dip in the lower and mid highs, whereas the Ety doesn't, which will make the mids sound somewhat exhausting in comparison to many other IEMs.

However, I have to admit that I love the UE600(vi), but only use it for sports. It's a good single-driver, but doesn't reach the Ety's sonic qualities, though it doesn't matter if you can't get used to its tonality.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #6,408 of 19,246
  Less treble than that of the ER4S mean average treble extension. I highly doubt that dark cans like the HD650 and LCD-2 can achieve the treble performance and extension of the ER4S/HD800/SR-009/DT880 and other similar cans with not exaggerated but present treble. Something that roll-off in the treble can't be considered neutral IMO, but lots of people love that. With a treble roll-off you are losing a lot of information of the track, like cymbals, the accurate reproduction of a guitar, etc.

In the end, what you like is what matters, and I love the ER4S to death. 
smily_headphones1.gif

In this can, the bass is 5dB above upper-mids and 5-10dB above treble, which is a complete lol because Audeze calls this neutral. But yeah, everyone's opinion about what is neutral is different, so let's leave this.

I agree with you on all accounts. but the best extension doesn't mean neutral. and I find there is indeed too much trebles on the hd800 too.
I'm not sayign the ER4 is anything bad, I have the biggest respect for that IEM. even more so when you think about when it was built. it's a very unique IEM. just saying that neutral doesn't really fit the description. I'm with H2O on this, I'm yet to find something that's really neutral without EQ.

the LCD2 is what I like, but again I agree it's not neutral. to me it clearly sounds warm. even more so that with fullsize headphones, a flat bass response is enough. with IEMs I find it to be subjectively a little weak and feel like between +3 and +5db compared to low medium is better reflecting of perceived neutrality.

just as a side note, the diffuse field equalization that is used on almost all online graphs, hat's also something that isn't neutral to me ^_^. it's close and certainly much better subjectively than electrically neutral(raw data). but as far as I'm concerned, neural would be in the middle between harman and diffuse field. (but then the question arises, do I have an average ear? ^_^)

@H20Fidelity get into EQuing already, your quest of the magic pairing has gone too far! last time you were tobleroned now you've been cyberpunked
biggrin.gif

if the roll off is about a capacitor thing playing high pass filter(I don't know much about the C4), it's usually in direct relation with the resistance. so once more the er4s should be one of the safest IEM there is to use.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #6,409 of 19,246
  just as a side note, the diffuse field equalization that is used on almost all online graphs, hat's also something that isn't neutral to me ^_^. it's close and certainly much better subjectively than electrically neutral(raw data). but as far as I'm concerned, neural would be in the middle between harman and diffuse field. (but then the question arises, do I have an average ear? ^_^)

Let's face it, there's simply no neutral that will fit all listeners. Diffuse field equalization was averaged out of 47 individual curves that deviated noticeably from each other. Same goes for Harman's OW equalization, anyone who cares to read the AES paper will see that measured responses (taken with probe mikes at ear drum level) deviated noticeably among individual subjects. "Absolute" or "true" neutral simply doesn't exist, there's just a lot of individual curves that share a fair amount of similarities.

jm2c
smile_phones.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #6,410 of 19,246
Well, in other news...

I picked this up last night.

Maybe it will be an ER4S demon slayer combination, maybe not. We will try and I always wanted C4 since I saw it. And yes I know about the bass roll-off. I'm hoping at 100ohm we can push the roll-off up enough.

If not, I hear there's a few other options available at Uncle H20's we can try. Audionewbi seems to think C4 is worthy with ER4S.

Oh H20, you lucky ba***** :) Enjoy with your new combo! I'm really really wondering C4's performance with ER4S, so don't be long!

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #6,411 of 19,246
  @jeffyh

It doesn't surprise me a lot as the UE has got a dip in the lower and mid highs, whereas the Ety doesn't, which will make the mids sound somewhat exhausting in comparison to many other IEMs.

However, I have to admit that I love the UE600(vi), but only use it for sports. It's a good single-driver, but doesn't reach the Ety's sonic qualities, though it doesn't matter if you can't get used to its tonality.

First off... I just realized I bought the ER6s not the 4s. No idea how those sound, so unless the signature is similar I guess my opinion is moot.

Thanks for that info on Ety vs UE, now I know why. I found the UE super.fi 5 (rebranded as 600) on my quest of slowly spending more $$ on IEMs before i considered myself into SQ. I guess the fact that the ER6s are better sonically just help my case that likability is subjective.

Out of curiousity, I always listen with a flat EQ on all my gear... if I used something like the ER4s but used an EQ to match the dips in the UE, would it sound like the UEs but just more sonically accurate? @HiFiChris

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #6,412 of 19,246

Out of curiousity, I always listen with a flat EQ on all my gear... if I used something like the ER4s but used an EQ to match the dips in the UE, would it sound like the UEs but just more sonically accurate? 
@HiFiChris

I haven't tried EQ-ing the Ety yet, but regarding tonality, they should sound pretty much akin, but with better instrument separation, stage reproduction and speed. Besides, keep in mind that the ER-4S needs (much) more power than the UE600 due to its lesser efficiency.

By the way, when I take a look at HeadRoom's graph, the stock ER-4S is supposed to sound even tinnier than the stock ER-6.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #6,413 of 19,246
My Colorfly C4 arrived earlier this morning, the quality with ER4S is very good. It sounds extremely clean, detailed with a slightly soft texture around mid-range which makes the presentation sound a tiny bit coloured, nice scent to take some of ER4S slightly sterile sound away. Powerwise it seems fine and I'm having best results with glider tips.

Once I listen some more I'll pop back in, though I I'm extremely happy. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #6,414 of 19,246
I read a lot of earphones to replace my too-bassy Yamaha M200, my research eventually lead me to buy one of ER4PT! Thanks to this thread particularly, i can't wait to try my ER4PT, which will arrive in two-three days. i hope they are suited to my mostly pop and rock collections.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #6,415 of 19,246
  I read a lot of earphones to replace my too-bassy Yamaha M200, my research eventually lead me to buy one of ER4PT! Thanks to this thread particularly, i can't wait to try my ER4PT, which will arrive in two-three days. i hope they are suited to my mostly pop and rock collections.

Welcome to club 'Ety'. Be sure to tell us your thoughts.

They're quite versatile, maybe only falling short a little at bass heavy genres which require some atmosphere.

Rock and pop won't be a problem providing you enjoy 'audiophille' bass.

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #6,416 of 19,246
Btw, my ER4S and Colorfly C4 are quickly trying to establish themselves as the 'King' of female vocals from my collection. I used to read comments about C4, people would say 'it sounds very beautiful'. At the time I thought English may not have been their native language. Truth is, it may well have been, because it's the best word to describe Colour C4's midrange and vocal presentation. 'very beautiful'

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #6,417 of 19,246
Hello.

I can't seem to find a straight answer to this, so I'll ask :)

I'm using (and loving) an iPhone 6 + ER-4S. Many people say the Etys need an amp. It's true that I get lower volume with the Etys than with other IEMs I've tried, but it's more than enough for me.

Knowing that I have enough volume, is an amp going to improve the experience with the ER-4S?

I don't want to get coloured sound so I was aiming to the Objective2 amp. Will I only get more volume or do I still have to discover the Etys real sound.

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #6,418 of 19,246
Hello.

I'm using (and loving) an iPhone 6 + ER-4S. Many people say the Etys need an amp. It's true that I get lower volume with the Etys than with other IEMs I've tried, but it's more than enough for me.

Knowing that I have enough volume, is an amp going to improve the experience with the ER-4S?

I don't want to get coloured sound so I was aiming to the Objective2 amp. Will I only get more volume or do I still have to discover the Etys real sound.

Thanks!

An amp just amplifies the signal. In your case that seems useless.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #6,419 of 19,246
  Hello.

Thanks!

we're all more or less lost in that state of "maybe an amp would...."
biggrin.gif

in fact you need to take the problem the other way around. the very best amp in the world will just give you a clean signal. so you need to think about what the iphone might not give you that it should?
as a general form of query, I would wonder about:
-the impedance output changing the signature of my IEM. at around 3ohm the iphone6 is fine with the 100ohm er4(always try to keep a 1/10ratio or lower). from 3ohm to 100ohm there is no way the change in signature from the IEM fluctuations of impedance could be audible. meaning, the iphone does not color the er4s.
-the distortions: the iphone is pretty clean and the er4s helps with his own high impedance.
-background noise: feedbacks seem to say that it's pretty clean on that part too. only you can decide if there is a problem or not, but most likely there isn't as the er4s isn't sensitive at all.
-bad crosstalk: I'm still myself wondering when that becomes audible, but it's a value that can change a lot. again it's usually challenging for low impedance IEMs, not for a 100ohm er4.
-driven loud enough: the iphone6 seems to be around 1v max into 100ohm and that's still without any sign of clipping.  so let's use that. the er4S is given for 90db @0.1v  so 1 volt is 10 times that, so +20db. with the iphone6 you could get up to 110db. for most situations unless you really listen loudly, that's more than you'll need. only trying to reach almost hurtful loudness with a very dynamic song recorded real low can you expect to hit the limit. if you say you have no trouble going loud enough, I wouldn't be too concerned.

all in all, I wouldn't get an amp in your situation. that said, you can always get past the audible and want to still reach a little closer to signal fidelity by getting an amp that improves on a few values. and on a more subjective side of things, some amps will bring their own defects/colorations and you might enjoy them more than a transparent sound. but nobody can help you find that out except yourself trying stuff(go at audiophile meetings if there is one close to you!!!!!!!!!).

good luck/hunt/music.

Aug 10, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #6,420 of 19,246
Thanks for the great answers!

I think I'm going to investigate a bit about how the ohms/volts/dbs relate to sound. About the amp, I now know I won't be buying one soon. Maybe, if I get to try a few of them, I go for a not transparent one so I have another shade of the Etys that I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back