If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 29, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #6,377 of 19,246
  In the market for a new pair of IEMs. Anyone else got recommendations of over-the-ears with a similar sound signature to the ER4S? Price isn't really an issue.

AKG K702 are similar, but with much wider soundstage and the sub bass can be brought out with a simple reversible mod.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #6,378 of 19,246

AKG K702 are similar, but with much wider soundstage and the sub bass can be brought out with a simple reversible mod.

Haha, sorry. I think I miscommunicated. I meant over-the-ears as in IEMs with an over-the-ear fit by default. Thanks anyway. I'm actually looking at full-size closed headphones as well at the minute, so I'll look at them.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #6,379 of 19,246
  Haha, sorry. I think I miscommunicated. I meant over-the-ears as in IEMs with an over-the-ear fit by default. Thanks anyway. I'm actually looking at full-size closed headphones as well at the minute, so I'll look at them.

The AKG 702s are open.

Why not reverse the cable to make the Etys fit over ear or, better still re-cable them?

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #6,382 of 19,246
GUYS, I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Whenever you've almost inserted these, push the part of the IEM you're holding toward your jawbone until the seal breaks. Then it should be easy to insert them fully.
The pain is completely gone, only a mild discomfort!!!

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #6,383 of 19,246
Thanks H20Fidelity, will wait for your findings. If it's the NFB-11 then it's the one with the Sabre ES9108 chipset.

We're pretty certain the Audio GD dac/amp is NFB-11.

(still not 100% confimed)

I've had the Audio GD for a few days.

If it does use Sabre DAC, it still sounds on the smooth, forgiving, warm tilted side. I would say it sounds very mature or 'grown up'. Whilst it's not aggressively detailed or highly resolving its well refined, dark background and especially nice timbre with guitars and pianos.

It's not a dac/amp I'd use to extract ER4S's crazy detail or be swept away in an engaging sense. But it sounds very interesting in the way it draws you in without having such detail.

It's perfect for laying down late at night when you've put your detail monster gear away for the day. What it does - it does very right and I really like it and can appreciate it.

The ER4S are not my personal preferences for this amp. I've instantly gravitated towards Grado 325e full-time with it.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #6,384 of 19,246
Thanks for the impressions H20Fidelity and looks like my impressions on my NFB11.32 is a bit different from yours maybe because mine is the older version I think. You probably have the newer version that is NFB11. I have not personally tried the NFB11 so I can't make any direct comparison.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #6,385 of 19,246
Thanks for the impressions H20Fidelity and looks like my impressions on my NFB11.32 is a bit different from yours maybe because mine is the older version I think. You probably have the newer version that is NFB11. I have not personally tried the NFB11 so I can't make any direct comparison.

I've looked on the website and spoken with some Audio GD owners, but yeah, that's how it sounds to me with no concrete model number. I was reading about another earlier version which uses dual Wolfson DAC. if I had to make an assumption from what I hear it would be the sound of a Wolfson DAC.

I'm quite familiar with Sabre DAC personality from DX90 and my Tralucent DacAmp One (love it) however that's not what I hear in my Audio GD.

Give me a few days I'll send Kingwa (Audio GD Sponsor) a PM and we'll find out mate for old times sake. :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #6,386 of 19,246
I've looked on the website and spoken with some Audio GD owners, but yeah, that's how it sounds to me with no concrete model number. I was reading about another earlier version which uses dual Wolfson DAC. if I had to make an assumption from what I hear it would be the sound of a Wolfson DAC.

I'm quite familiar with Sabre DAC personality from DX90 and my Tralucent DacAmp One (love it) however that's not what I hear in my Audio GD.

Give me a few days I'll send Kingwa (Audio GD Sponsor) a PM and we'll find out mate for old times sake.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I believe the one with the Wolfson DAC will definitely sound different. My NFB11.32 is the one with the ES9018.

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #6,387 of 19,246
Kind of leaves me at a dead end again with my ER4S. They don't really have a dedicated source atm.

If anyone has tried ER4S with Hidizs AP100 I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts.

I have 'this feeling' and zoning in on it.

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #6,389 of 19,246
Recently bought an ER-4PT (with S adapter) from a user on here. Was finally able to get my hands (and ears) on them today. I am absolutely amazed by the level of detail these bring to the table. I've never had an IEM like this before. Wow. Also, I find the fit snug, but not at all a discomfort with the tri-flanges.

Will break out the S adapter and pair it with my O2+ODAC revB over the weekend, hopefully. Hoping the two pair nicely!

One question: I may be interested in re-cabling these down the road. If I were to purchase this adapter, which cable would you all recommend? The adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-P-SHURE-CABLE-VERSION-/290630811020?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aaf23d8c

I am thinking about this cable, but I just want to be doubly safe I'm looking at the right one to go with the above adapter before I commit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/With-Earphone-Hook-Silver-Plated-Cable-For-Shure-se215-se315-se425-se535-Se846-/261935837464?var=560758901796&hash=item3cfc97b118

In short, I want a really good over-ear configuration for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back