If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 25, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #6,347 of 19,246
Since you already went to an audiologist, why not make a custom tips while you're at it? Probably you'll finally can step into the audio heaven.

what usi2 said. the er4 and in fact all the etys don't sound as good to me unless I can go real deep. the only exception being the mc5 for me as it seems to sound about the same however I place it(but note that I can't go brain scratching deep with its larger than usual shell diameter).
and the custom solutions I've seen all seem to put the er4 quite a bit outside. so I never tried that for ety.
but custom solutions are cool when well done, my best mold happens to be on some earplugs ironically. the guys did better for 80$ in one go than JH audio for 1100$ and 3 reshells...

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #6,348 of 19,246
  Even those that Etymotic got on their website? Do they even make those custom tips or do they have other companies do it for them?

I'm not sure of the current arrangements, but they used to use ACS in the UK and the tip of the Ety only went as far as the bend in the custom sleeve. Didn't seem to affect the sound too badly with HF5, but no good for the ER4S.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #6,349 of 19,246
Free ... no strings attached ... brand new, never used, still in package, ER38-14A Foam Eartips ... total of 24.

Accidentally ordered way too many and the Westone's I used them for are no longer working (well, the right ear) and too expensive to repair. 

Anyway, if anyone can use some free foam tips, please drop me a note and I'll drop them in the mail to you ... totally free, no charge, no strings attached. I'd feel guilty tossing them into the trash.

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but just hoping to find a good home for some quality (and free!) tips.

sparklegun at yahoo dot com

-A

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #6,352 of 19,246
  Free ... no strings attached ... brand new, never used, still in package, ER38-14A Foam Eartips ... total of 24.

Accidentally ordered way too many and the Westone's I used them for are no longer working (well, the right ear) and too expensive to repair. 

Anyway, if anyone can use some free foam tips, please drop me a note and I'll drop them in the mail to you ... totally free, no charge, no strings attached. I'd feel guilty tossing them into the trash.

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but just hoping to find a good home for some quality (and free!) tips.

sparklegun at yahoo dot com

-A

Very nice of you. Wish these tips were a bit wider though, as they're too narrow to form a seal in my ear canal. And the large ones are too big. Foam on the ER4 is just not in the cards for me. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #6,353 of 19,246
Anyone had experience with the Inear SD2 and compared it to the ER4S? 

I find the SD2 to have a slightly warmer tilt to the sound relative to the ER4S. Treble extension still excellent, although not to the level of the ER4S. Resolution is decent, but still not as revealing as the ER4S (could be a good or bad thing depending on the mastering). Still, much more neutral than a lot of IEMs out there. I don't find it to be lacking in sub-bass, so no need for EQ. 

Overall, I find the SD2 to be a more laid-back and forgiving version of the ER4S. Much easier to listen to for long periods of time, both sound-wise and comfort-wise; it is the most comfortable UIEM I've had the pleasure of owning. 

Anyone who's had experience with both agree with this?

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #6,354 of 19,246
I've also got both and agree.
The only things the SD-2 does better than the Ety are (imo) sounstage expansion in terms of depth and width (though the Ety's soundstage is brilliant, too and has probably the more precise layering), as well as comfort (though I don't have any problems with the Etys' comfort, they feel somehow ticklish).

Although I like the SD-2 and its well-textured bass with rather slow recordings, you can clearly hear that the lows driver is back-vented, what is expressed by a somewhat "soft" bass with less dry/hard impact, especially with fast/more complex recordings. That's where the Ety is also better, imho of course.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #6,356 of 19,246
I purchased my ER4S a new toy.

I'm going to stick this Audio God dac/amp near my bed and feed it (one way or another) a data signal - hopefully take it to 'the extreme'

Its still work in progress but the amp is arriving tomorrow. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #6,357 of 19,246
  I purchased my ER4S a new toy.

I'm going to stick this Audio God dac/amp near my bed and feed it (one way or another) a data signal - hopefully take it to 'the extreme'

Its still work in progress but the amp is arriving tomorrow. 
beerchug.gif

Is that a NFB-11? Do let us know your opinion on pairing with the ER4 tomorrow, thanks.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6,358 of 19,246
  Is that a NFB-11? Do let us know your opinion on pairing with the ER4 tomorrow, thanks.

The beauty of this project is - we don't know which model the dac/amp is. An eBay seller was clearing out some gear, PC soundcards, odds and ends, he doesn't know either. I picked up the dac/amp for a great price. Until we maybe open it and have the serial number confirmed we don't know which model is exactly. 
tongue.gif

I'll be sure to chime in once everything is up and running. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #6,360 of 19,246

The beauty of this project is - we don't know which model the dac/amp is. An eBay seller was clearing out some gear, PC soundcards, odds and ends, he doesn't know either. I picked up the dac/amp for a great price. Until we maybe open it and have the serial number confirmed we don't know which model is exactly. 
tongue.gif

I'll be sure to chime in once everything is up and running. 

Thanks H20Fidelity, will wait for your findings. If it's the NFB-11 then it's the one with the Sabre ES9108 chipset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back