If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 12, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #6,436 of 19,253

Oh, many thanks. I had actually read the post you link to (while waiting for my order to turn around) but forgotten about the resistor issue. Really appreciate it.

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #6,437 of 19,253
  I would avoid that. The original cable has a built in resistor in the y-split (which is part of the problem with the weight of the cable you describe). A much better route is to go for adapters which contain either ER4P resistors(25ohm) or ER4S resistors(100ohm). The latter will mean you won't need to use the inline converrter for your ER4PT. I have recently purchased the Estron Linum Bax Cable and it is excellent - super lightweight, but I'm not sure they do a version with inline mic.
There is an excellent guide for this and I will seek it out and edit this post with a link for you.

Here is my recent post with link

Direct link here

Please thank @gixxerwimp

ER4P (27 ohm resistor) iPhone cable: ER-4P Etymotic/Apple iPhone Cable with Mic & Remote 4 iPhone 6/6+, 5S, 5, 4S & 4

ER4S (100 ohm resistor) iPhone cable: ER-4S Etymotic/Apple iPhone Cable with Mic & Remote 4 iPhone 6/6+, 5S, 5, 4S & 4

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #6,438 of 19,253
What about Beats by Dr. Dre?
You should definitely buy these if you want people to see you wearing something endorsed by a rapper.  However, they don't sound very good, so we recommend wearing them over the top of a pair of good quality earbuds like the ER-4P. This will still allow the sounds of the rap music to leak out from the Beats headphones for the benefit of those around you, but the superior sound isolation of the ER-4P means you won't need to listen to it yourself :wink:

Ha! Love it

Interesting. It's funny how just seeing the stock Apple earbud box/cable immediately made me think, "This must be junk." If this is legit, it's the all in one solution. 

Have you tried it?

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #6,439 of 19,253

Ha! Love it

Interesting. It's funny how just seeing the stock Apple earbud box/cable immediately made me think, "This must be junk." If this is legit, it's the all in one solution. 

Have you tried it?

Thanks!

The first picture is going to put you off, but the 2nd and 3rd make more sense...

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #6,441 of 19,253
Aug 12, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #6,442 of 19,253
Any recs for a good, low(er) cost Shure adapter compatible cable with an inline iOS compatible mic/remote?

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #6,443 of 19,253
Any recs for a good, low(er) cost Shure adapter compatible cable with an inline iOS compatible mic/remote?

Nope. The only MMCX (Shure) adapter with built-in resistors (4P or 4S) are those made by Awwan (AFAIK). That they even exist is a miracle.

You get what you pay for. They aren't that expensive considering they're almost definitely hand made at very low volume. Quality is good too from what I've seen and heard. This is a very niche part.

Once you have those, you can use any MMCX cable you want. And you can swap out a cable if it breaks down the road. Or go for the Westone 2-pin adapter as he has those too.

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #6,444 of 19,253
Sorry, my question was poorly worded (and I may have gotten a term wrong)

Was wondering about a cable to use with his adapters. So I guess that'd be a good, lower cost MMCX or Westone cable.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #6,445 of 19,253
Sorry, my question was poorly worded (and I may have gotten a term wrong)

Was wondering about a cable to use with his adapters. So I guess that'd be a good, lower cost MMCX or Westone cable.

Upon re-reading your question, the bad was mine. I really have to stop posting first thing in the morning while conducting my morning ablutions.

Only one I know of off the top of my head is the OEM Shure cable. I have the 1-button "Android" version. It's about US$50. Cable is very solidly built, and I like way it loops over my ears. There's a 90° bend in the connector at the MMCX end, and the design intention is to allow users with Shure SE-series IEMs to quickly insert them without having to loop them over their ears. A minor bonus feature IMO. It's a bit on the bulky side, but handles well and has pretty low cable noise (a.k.a. "microphonics"). It may not be "low(er) cost", but I think the build quality is worth the price.

If a Linum BAX ever comes out with a remote, I'd be eager to try that out.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #6,446 of 19,253
The Logitech UE900 cable (the same cable but with 2-pin connectors comes with the newer-generation UE4 Pro customs, by the way) is also a nicely built cable and not as heavy as the Shure, but has got memory wire around the ears (which I personally prefer). The remote's buttons feel well, are easy to press and easy to find and it is just $20.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #6,449 of 19,253
If I were to buy the 27-ohm variant, could I still use the PT to S adapter for when I want to use the ER4 with an amp?

Yep. That's the one I would buy. That way, you can use the 4P with your phone and your 4S adapter with your amp. Just be aware that the iPhone remote (volume, track change, etc.) will only work in 4P mode. The remote won't work once you connect that 4S adapter.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #6,450 of 19,253
Yep. That's the one I would buy. That way, you can use the 4P with your phone and your 4S adapter with your amp. Just be aware that the iPhone remote (volume, track change, etc.) will only work in 4P mode. The remote won't work once you connect that 4S adapter.

FWIW, I'm using the 4P with 4S adapter plugged straight into my iPhone 6 and 6S and finding it works just fine and sounds better to me than without the adapter. Volume is ~50% (maybe less?) on the iPhone's controls and it's plenty loud and detailed. 

Microphonics, on the other hand, are a nightmare unless I'm sitting/standing still. 

An aftermarket cable setup with the "4S" resistors wired in will work ok with a remote, yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back