If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 13, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #6,451 of 19,253

FWIW, I'm using the 4P with 4S adapter plugged straight into my iPhone 6 and 6S and finding it works just fine and sounds better to me than without the adapter. Volume is ~50% (maybe less?) on the iPhone's controls and it's plenty loud and detailed. 

Microphonics, on the other hand, are a nightmare unless I'm sitting/standing still. 

An aftermarket cable setup with the "4S" resistors wired in will work ok with a remote, yes?

Yes. The point made above was that the PtoS adapter is not wired for the remote so it cannot wotk with it. If the Iphone can happily drive the ER4S then go for Awwan's S adapters and your choice of remote equipped cable.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #6,453 of 19,253

FWIW, I'm using the 4P with 4S adapter plugged straight into my iPhone 6 and 6S and finding it works just fine and sounds better to me than without the adapter. Volume is ~50% (maybe less?) on the iPhone's controls and it's plenty loud and detailed. 

Microphonics, on the other hand, are a nightmare unless I'm sitting/standing still. 

An aftermarket cable setup with the "4S" resistors wired in will work ok with a remote, yes?

Yes, and the Apple cables are a lot less microphonic than the stock Etys.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #6,454 of 19,253
Sorry, everyone. Just to clarify, I'm a noob to all this, relative to all you. Does an amp actually improve the sound quality at all or just literally make it louder, in lay terms?

I have a Fiio X3II and also a Fiio E12A amp. Obviously the X3 has enough power to drive them. Is using the E12A as an amp a waste sound-quality-wise? 

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #6,456 of 19,253
Antihawk, Ety definitely needs amp, try for yourself and see if you will hear the difference. But I doubt E12A will be enough, maybe E12
For example, I found AP100 & Aune M1 lack of power for er4s, bass response is very weak. My recorder does things much better

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #6,457 of 19,253
  Antihawk, Ety definitely needs amp, try for yourself and see if you will hear the difference. But I doubt E12A will be enough, maybe E12

What do you mean by "needs an amp", though? Are you talking in terms of power or sound quality? Because power-wise the E12A is by far enough. I never get beyond 75% source volume and 50% amp volume on that; that amount is deafening to me already. Does it actually help sound quality? I can't really tell with my own ears. I sometimes think the amp helps, and sometimes don't. Thus I am persuaded to think that it's simply placebo. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #6,459 of 19,253
Sorry, everyone. Just to clarify, I'm a noob to all this, relative to all you. Does an amp actually improve the sound quality at all or just literally make it louder, in lay terms?

I have a Fiio X3II and also a Fiio E12A amp. Obviously the X3 has enough power to drive them. Is using the E12A as an amp a waste sound-quality-wise? 

Do you honestly hear a difference between these amps when properly volume-matched? To me, the SQ difference between most modern amps is less than that between FLAC and 256 VBR AAC (i.e., extremely tiny, or non-existent). Granted, more powerful amps go louder, but the louder amps probably go louder than is safe for your ears.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #6,460 of 19,253
  What do you mean by "needs an amp", though? Are you talking in terms of power or sound quality? Because power-wise the E12A is by far enough. I never get beyond 75% source volume and 50% amp volume on that; that amount is deafening to me already. Does it actually help sound quality? I can't really tell with my own ears. I sometimes think the amp helps, and sometimes don't. Thus I am persuaded to think that it's simply placebo. 

I'm not talking about volume, but sound itself. But, well, it depends on how good fit is achieved with this tricky IEM.
When I had a chance to listen some TOTL headphones like Beyerdynamic T1, Denon D7000 paired with NuPrime DAC-10H, I tried er4s out of curiousity with this solid-state DAC/AMP. It was more or less on par with T1 in terms of soundstage

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #6,461 of 19,253
Do you honestly hear a difference between these amps when properly volume-matched? To me, the SQ difference between most modern amps is less than that between FLAC and 256 VBR AAC (i.e., extremely tiny, or non-existent). Granted, more powerful amps go louder, but the louder amps probably go louder than is safe for your ears.

What I'm saying, mate, is that exactly. I'm trying to establish the difference between power and sound quality. I'm tempted to think that amps don't improve SQ at all, and only increase power.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #6,462 of 19,253

I'm no talking about volume, but sound itself. But, well, it depends on how good fit is achieved with this tricky IEM.
When I had a chance to listen some TOTL headphones like Beyerdynamic T1, Denon D7000 paired with NuPrime DAC-10H, I tried er4s out of curiousity with this solid-state DAC/AMP. It was more or less on par with T1 in terms of soundstage

I know DACs change affect SQ. But the E12A doesn't have a DAC itself, thus I am asking if amps (not DACs) have any affect on SQ theoretically, independent of one's subjective opinion.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #6,463 of 19,253
  I know DACs change affect SQ. But the E12A doesn't have a DAC itself, thus I am asking if amps (not DACs) have any affect on SQ theoretically, independent of one's subjective opinion.

DACs don't have "sound". The sound begins from how well it "cooked", amp plays major role too.
Well, it's up to you to decide whether use amp or not. If you're ok as it is - don't use it

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #6,464 of 19,253

DACs don't have "sound". The sound begins from how well it "cooked", amp plays major role too.
Well, it's up to you to decide whether use amp or not. If you're ok as it is - don't use it

Haha. Sorry, man. As I said, I'm a noob relative to the average headfier. I apologise for the consistent questions, but do you know of any theoretical answer the question: Do amps actually improve sound quality? Obviously they increase power.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #6,465 of 19,253
  Haha. Sorry, man. As I said, I'm a noob relative to the average headfier. I apologise for the consistent questions, but do you know of any theoretical answer the question: Do amps actually improve sound quality? Obviously they increase power.

It's ok, everything will come with experience.
The most obvious thing they affect - bass response, quantity & quality. Also, depending on the quality of an amp, the sound becomes smoother, less grainy. Some background details will come out and much more easy to be heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back