If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 21, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #6,332 of 19,254
I find it can depend on the listening session too (crazy as it sounds). the quality and age of the foam tips in use (which I use)

Sometimes I simply achieve a better insertion/fit/seal than other times.

Brand new foam tips are quite buff and stubborn, aging foam more cooperative etc..

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #6,334 of 19,254
How you wear them will also affect the comfort factor. The original cable doesn't help as the weight of the y-split resistor housing tends to pull on them. This can be alleviated by the shirt clip and wearing over the ear. Better still, get a replacement cable and do away with that lump and all cable noise as well.
I find that, of the supplied tips, the gliders are the most comfortable. They all benefit from an additional large flange (old Sony tip) placed at the base of the barrel, which provides some additional stability in the ear.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #6,335 of 19,254
How you wear them will also affect the comfort factor. The original cable doesn't help as the weight of the y-split resistor housing tends to pull on them. This can be alleviated by the shirt clip and wearing over the ear. Better still, get a replacement cable and do away with that lump and all cable noise as well.
I find that, of the supplied tips, the gliders are the most comfortable. They all benefit from an additional large flange (old Sony tip) placed at the base of the barrel, which provides some additional stability in the ear.

+1 for Gliders = maximum ER4S comfort.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #6,337 of 19,254
  Hi,

I'm getting a pair of ER4's. Are there instructions anywhere for cable removal to install the Shure/Westone adapters to use aftermarket cables?

Chris

@gixxerwimp has provided a tutorial - here is the latest post with link

It really is as simple as pulling off the Ety cable and putting on the adapter. They are quite tight but once you have a small gap you can ease a small screwdriver between the pins for some leverage.
If you are using Westone type 2 pin cable, be sure to check to see whether they are in phase. There are a few demos to be found on youtube to help with this.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #6,339 of 19,254
  ... we tend to joke a little about it because we've all felt how wearing an ER4S (with deep insertion) is less than ideal.

I hear the ER4S have become quite popular at Guantanamo, now that waterboarding is no longer allowed.
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #6,340 of 19,254
Another way to make ER4S more comfortable is basically just cutting the stem of Shure grey flex or any Etymotic tips that you don't use and wear them on the thin noozle of your ER4S just like a glow. This way you can use different size of tips such as Sony Hybrids, UE600 tips, JVC Spiral Dots etc. They become more comfortable for sure.

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #6,341 of 19,254
I'm probably the odd one but after the first week of the ER4S tri flange, I felt that they were totally natural for me.
Been several months of use now, and ER4S is my go-to for IEM. :)
Cheers!

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #6,343 of 19,254
  I'm probably the odd one but after the first week of the ER4S tri flange, I felt that they were totally natural for me.
Been several months of use now, and ER4S is my go-to for IEM. :)
Cheers!

you lucky dog!
I've tried and tried and tried again, the grey ones, the transparent ones, cutting the last flange, using all kinds of lubricant, from saliva to water to actual proper stuff I got from an audiologist. I just can't stand those tips for more than half an hour, and 1/2 an hour would mean my ears hurt until the next day.
to bad they do sound great with the triflange and do isolate amazingly. I really wish I could stand those stuff.

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #6,344 of 19,254

you lucky dog!
I've tried and tried and tried again, the grey ones, the transparent ones, cutting the last flange, using all kinds of lubricant, from saliva to water to actual proper stuff I got from an audiologist. I just can't stand those tips for more than half an hour, and 1/2 an hour would mean my ears hurt until the next day.
to bad they do sound great with the triflange and do isolate amazingly. I really wish I could stand those stuff.

Since you already went to an audiologist, why not make a custom tips while you're at it? Probably you'll finally can step into the audio heaven.

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #6,345 of 19,254
  Since you already went to an audiologist, why not make a custom tips while you're at it? Probably you'll finally can step into the audio heaven.

I've yet to see a custom tip that allows the Ety to be inserted to it's correct depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back