If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 23, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #6,181 of 19,246
  Hi all, has there been a survey of people's sealed ear canal resonance frequency with the ER-4? (ie http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm)

I find it curious how Linkwitz identified a resonance at 7.5kHz which would seem to suggest shallow insertion of a couple mm (343/7500 = 0.04753 -> 0.4573/2 = 0.02287 -> sealed ear canal length of ~23mm) assuming his ear canal is of average length (~25mm).

If people can pull up sinegen and run a couple of sweeps wearing Etys with full deep insertion, then chime in with results as to what frequency you hear the peak after 5kHz to be at, I'd love to hear them.

Edit: I don't have an ER-4 myself, but I do have a FitEar F111 which is supposed to measure near identical to the ER-4, albeit with shallow insertion. I hear a resonance at ~7.25kHz with the F111 personally.

the f111 and er4 aren't the same. the original aim was indeed to make an er4 without the lack of sub bass. but then mr Suyama felt like just trying to bring more bass just ended up killing what made the er4 what it is. so instead he went for something warmer, and more euphonic. 
and I personally don't find those 2 IEMs to sound anything alike. the F111 can be a much nicer/warmer IEM, the ER4 a much more revealing one(unless it's about bass and subs^_^).

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #6,182 of 19,246
Putting aside slight tuning differences in the extremes, am I correct in saying both should have smooth raw measured FR curves basically corresponding to what I drew here?

And just to reiterate:

If people can pull up sinegen and run a couple of sweeps wearing Etys with full deep insertion, then chime in with results as to what frequency you hear the peak after 5kHz to be at, I'd love to hear them.

And:

Do you hear any peaks at all between 5kHz and 10kHz or is it completely smooth for you? With deeper insertion of 8mm or more, the resonance frequency should get pushed up above 10kHz.

Thanks!

Edit: hmm, looking at published measurements of the F111, doesn't seem to be the case after all. The rise to 3k seems shallower, and the slope from 3k to 10k not as smooth.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #6,184 of 19,246
Hi all, has there been a survey of people's sealed ear canal resonance frequency with the ER-4? (ie http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm)

I find it curious how Linkwitz identified a resonance at 7.5kHz which would seem to suggest shallow insertion of a couple mm (343/7500 = 0.04753 -> 0.4573/2 = 0.02287 -> sealed ear canal length of ~23mm) assuming his ear canal is of average length (~25mm).

Edit: I don't have an ER-4 myself, but I do have a FitEar F111 which is supposed to measure near identical to the ER-4, albeit with shallow insertion. I hear a resonance at ~7.25kHz with the F111 personally.

At one point I thought this guy was on to something, but with tones I get a dip at ~7.5k with the ER4S, definitely not a peak. Seals the deal for me.

Agreed, and this is the correct target response.

Linkwitz isn't wearing them deep enough. I also emailed the guy on his site to see how to make a bass boost filter a long time ago and he thought I was wearing them wrong because I didn't get enough bass. Lol and he had a treble peak even. :p the bass is excellent but every other target agrees that the sub bass is lacking....

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #6,185 of 19,246
Haha, ok, I guess that settles the matter then
etysmile.gif

At least Linkwitz's article confirms that if one was to wear Etys with shallow insertion, one would experience a peak at around the resonance frequency as determined by ear canal length, as I've experienced myself with the F111. I can see that most people have measured the ER-4 correctly by following IEC recommendations, but what's troublesome is that there is no real measurement standard for earphones that can only be worn with shallow insertion (basically everything that's not an Ety) because of differing ear canal lengths between individuals. I guess the reasonable thing to do would be to measure everything per IEC recs and leave it up to the individual to superimpose a peak at their personal resonance frequency.

Anyways, thanks for the responses guys.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #6,186 of 19,246
So a short while back I found the Dunu 75ohm adapter as a direct alternative to my ER-4pt to ER-4s adapter (which very occasionally causes dropouts when cable is bent near plug end)

So it has just turned up in the post........

Did a careful A B test for differences and suprisingly the DUNU was clearly quieter on same volume settings.

Got out the digi multi meter and set it to test the Ohm resistance.

Stuck an unused Neutrik 3.5mm jack in each Adapter to enable testing and here were the results: (i made a mistake first time I took measurements by not taking into account the resistance of the neutrik jack, this being 1 Ohm)

Etymotic 75ohm adpater:

tip= 82.1ohms
ring= 82.1 ohms

Dunu 75ohm adapter

tip=75.0 Ohm
ring= 75.0 Ohm

referance
the stock ER-4s spec is 100 Ohms

the stock 4PT spec is 27 Ohms

so after measuring the adapters :

Etymotic Adapter combined with ER-4pt = 109 Ohms
Dunu combined with ER-4pt = 102 Ohms

Dunu adapter gives a closer resistance to the ER-4s than the Etymotic adapter.

here are the sensitivity specs given by Etymotic for each version of IEM:

4B (90 dB) 4S (90 dB) 4PT (102 dB)

Did not expect this, just assumed my Ety Adapter was always correctyl 75Ohms

Any one else wnat to test theirs?

I have one. Can't test like that. The only thing I will say is that the dunu seems sluggish in the bass in comparison to the stock adaptor. I'll report back after another week.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #6,187 of 19,246
At one point I thought this guy was on to something, but with tones I get a dip at ~7.5k with the ER4S, definitely not a peak. Seals the deal for me.

Interesting, was that with deep insertion? Do you hear any peaks at all between 5kHz and 10kHz or is it completely smooth for you? With deeper insertion of 8mm or more, the resonance frequency should get pushed up above 10kHz and becomes less of an issue.

Edit: nice, 2000th post
smily_headphones1.gif

Treble is completely smooth for me. I can't hear anything beyond 13k, so I suppose the resonance is somewhere around that frequency.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #6,188 of 19,246

Interesting, was that with deep insertion? Do you hear any peaks at all between 5kHz and 10kHz or is it completely smooth for you? With deeper insertion of 8mm or more, the resonance frequency should get pushed up above 10kHz and becomes less of an issue.

Edit: nice, 2000th post
smily_headphones1.gif

Treble is completely smooth for me. I can't hear anything beyond 13k, so I suppose the resonance is somewhere around that frequency.

The treble for me is,relatively speaking, completely smooth. There is a small dip at around 7.5 kHz and A small bump around 2 to 3 kHz. And maybe a small bump at 10 kHz . All of these are graphed by most graphing standards. But none of them are very large and can easily be corrected with eq for any user that has the correct depth and seal. but there are no significant dips or peaks for me. only the very very lowest sub bass is a low, say below 50hz.

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #6,189 of 19,246
More than satisfactory results using ER4S with FiiO's little X3II DAP. I'm quite impressed, not the end to all in detail (but not bad!). More over the match up has a really nice vibe and timbre.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #6,191 of 19,246
Haven't posted for a while and noticed that this thread has gotten really technical. But that's good! Just want to say that after 10 years of owning several in ear phones, the ER4 is still the best. I often got lost wandering around trying different IEM's but I always end up going back to my favorite Ety :blush:

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #6,192 of 19,246
So, a couple of months ago, I got the ER4Ps from a Head-fier for $120 (thx m8),  I was mostly attracted to the prospect of the high isolation and clear sound.  So I got these and pretty much immediately preferred them over my old M100s (good riddance).  These are more portable, they're better sounding, they protect my hearing... yeah, I love em.
They seem a bit dry-sounding, though.  What exactly would the P to S thing do to the sound if I get a good amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back