If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 23, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #6,166 of 19,246
Thanks for stopping there. Too many painful memories before things were rectified.

Could I perhaps have got there with just the end of the 3rd flange being the only thing I could touch? Or is it likely needed to go deeper? (This is kinda freaking me out).

As mentioned the larger compression ear tip went in well, quite snuggly fit and sounded good and isolated well.

So I may be okay without further penetration. But slightly curious.

This is freaking me out!!!! I should have bought some audezes. :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

For me, the second bend is a straight shoot from the 'top edge' of my canal, I don't need to lift my ear, it helps if I don't actually. With foam it must be compressed before insertion or it should not / will not enter. I say practice over a few days by wetting a triple flange tip lightly while on ER4S having a feel around inside your canal.

And like above said, wearing them can be somewhat painful, that's normal. 
cool.gif
 This is why I use glider tips now.

Practice is the key, took me about 3-4 days to work it out.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #6,167 of 19,246
I appreciate your replies.
I did try pushing the er4s further in but didn't go overly hard at it as I was a little cautious.

If the other ear tips are getting a good seal am I right in assuming Im not missing out on anything?

It's not only about seal. The insertion depth also impacts frequency response. With the tri-flange tips imagine there were two more flanges and you want to be barely able to touch the fifth. The emphasis here is on "barely". This is what I found out using my own ears, so YMMV.

Wetting the tips helps a lot, but don't expect the insertion to be a pain-free procedure.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #6,168 of 19,246
For me, the second bend is a straight shoot from the 'top edge' of my canal, I don't need to lift my ear, it helps if I don't actually. With foam it must be compressed before insertion or it should not / will not enter. I say practice over a few days by wetting a triple flange tip lightly while on ER4S having a feel around inside your canal.

And like above said, wearing them can be somewhat painful, that's normal. :cool:  This is why I use glider tips now.

Practice is the key, took me about 3-4 days to work it out.
It's not only about seal. The insertion depth also impacts frequency response. With the tri-flange tips imagine there were two more flanges and you want to be barely able to touch the fifth. The emphasis here is on "barely". This is what I found out using my own ears, so YMMV.

Wetting the tips helps a lot, but don't expect the insertion to be a pain-free procedure.

Thanks heaps for your insights.

I'm happy with the compression ear tips but I'll sus out my ears a little further.

Having said that "but don't expect the insertion to be a pain-free procedure" is still freaking me out a bit. GULP!

Many thanks
Peter

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #6,169 of 19,246
Thanks heaps for your insights.

I'm happy with the compression ear tips but I'll sus out my ears a little further.

Having said that "but don't expect the insertion to be a pain-free procedure" is still freaking me out a bit. GULP!

Many thanks
Peter

I have similar issues with the tri-flange tips. These bi-flanges from Amazon work much better for me.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #6,171 of 19,246

Okay mucking around with these. Are you talking about the small Tri-flange (when it comes to thinking of five flanges). Geez I hope so. I've just gone a little deeper with the bigs. And felt it. And saw it when it came out of the left ear. A bit too tight for now. Going back to play with the stalls.

I'm also noticing my large compression ones have a dent in them like a v. Perhaps that indicates it may be sneaking into the second area.

By the way, does the discomfort kinda go away over time /slash you get used to it or should I just go with my best feeling option?

What a learning curve

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #6,172 of 19,246
I use the Comply Tsx100

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/tsx-100/

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #6,173 of 19,246
I have similar issues with the tri-flange tips. These bi-flanges from Amazon work much better for me.

Do you find that third flange just "digs in" a little. As in it hits a sensitive spot? (That's what I'm feeling)
Once more for the Westone Star Tips. Also like the Klipsch Gel tips.

What is it about those particularly that draws you to them?

Thanks all for your help tonight. It's certainly taught me a few things and allowed me to get more from these new IEMs. A lot more than I would have got tonight without your guidance. Even listening right now to primus so no problem with bottom end.

Lord him me I'm even using phil collins as a reference to see that these plugs are in far enough.

And out of these options in the box, having tried all tonight, the larger compression ones fit best for me. Similar to the old koss plugs I previously have used.

Final note tonight: I'm definitely enjoying the sound I'm getting out of these er4s (after "jamming" these plugs into my head).

Many sincere thanks everyone
Peter

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #6,175 of 19,246
Do you find that third flange just "digs in" a little. As in it hits a sensitive spot? (That's what I'm feeling)
What is it about those particularly that draws you to them?

Thanks all for your help tonight. It's certainly taught me a few things and allowed me to get more from these new IEMs. A lot more than I would have got tonight without your guidance. Even listening right now to primus so no problem with bottom end.

Lord him me I'm even using phil collins as a reference to see that these plugs are in far enough.

And out of these options in the box, having tried all tonight, the larger compression ones fit best for me. Similar to the old koss plugs I previously have used.

Final note tonight: I'm definitely enjoying the sound I'm getting out of these er4s (after "jamming" these plugs into my head).

Many sincere thanks everyone
Peter

Yes the third flange goes too deep for me, and my ear canals are bendy enough that they actually bend the tri-flange tips and break the seal most of the time. I get get plenty deep enough with biflanges by just wetting the tips and pushing deep. I also make sure that the end of the tip sits flush with the end of the barrel. This allows the tip to take advantage of the solid core of the barrel and not bend in my ear. I posted a pic a couple pages back.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #6,176 of 19,246
  By the way, does the discomfort kinda go away over time /slash you get used to it or should I just go with my best feeling option?

From what I've experienced, yes.

I have got quite big and straight ear canals and almost always need the largest tips that come with IEMs to get a seal when inserted deeply. With the ER-4S which need to be inserted deeply, I just couldnt get any seal with the large triple-flanges, so I came up with trimming them to a single flange to get them deep, but that caused two issues - the first one was that when pulling them out the tip got stuck almost every time and it was always difficult to get it out from the depths of my ear and the second one was that the mids were tonally incorrect.
Using the foam tips helped a lot but I don't like foam tips in genera, that's why I decided to do it like that: I cut off the smallest flange right above where the medium one begins, pulled it on the ER-4S's stem and then pulled on the modified triple-flange (which had logically become a bi-flange). Since then I can insert them very deep with getting a good seal and get tonally correct mids due to my modified triple-flange has got the exact same length as the original one.
It may be helpful for others who have got rather large and straight ear canals and can't manage to get a proper seal with the original triple-flange tips.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #6,177 of 19,246
Okay mucking around with these. Are you talking about the small Tri-flange (when it comes to thinking of five flanges). Geez I hope so. I've just gone a little deeper with the bigs. And felt it. And saw it when it came out of the left ear. A bit too tight for now. Going back to play with the stalls.

I'm also noticing my large compression ones have a dent in them like a v. Perhaps that indicates it may be sneaking into the second area.

What a learning curve

Yes, I was talking about the small ones. Don't think the difference is huge, though. What you just described is about the right depth. Hope it didn't bleed too much.

The discomfort kinda goes away over time with the emphasis being on "kinda" and "over time". Or, in other words, no, it doesn't really go away. To tell the truth, most of the guys on this thread happen to be accomplished fakirs, who got bored from their beds of nails and use the ER4 to take it to another level.

Will you get used to it? Hopefully, yes. Chances are you will find some compromise that works for you. As far as the degenerate individual that is me is concerned, I'll probably give custom sleeves a try.

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #6,178 of 19,246
Hi all, has there been a survey of people's sealed ear canal resonance frequency with the ER-4? (ie http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm)

I find it curious how Linkwitz identified a resonance at 7.5kHz which would seem to suggest shallow insertion of a couple mm (343/7500 = 0.04753 -> 0.4573/2 = 0.02287 -> sealed ear canal length of ~23mm) assuming his ear canal is of average length (~25mm).

If people can pull up sinegen and run a couple of sweeps wearing Etys with full deep insertion, then chime in with results as to what frequency you hear the peak after 5kHz to be at, I'd love to hear them.

Edit: I don't have an ER-4 myself, but I do have a FitEar F111 which is supposed to measure near identical to the ER-4, albeit it can only be worn with shallow insertion. I hear a resonance at ~7.25kHz with the F111 personally.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #6,179 of 19,246
Hi all, has there been a survey of people's sealed ear canal resonance frequency with the ER-4? (ie http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm)

I find it curious how Linkwitz identified a resonance at 7.5kHz which would seem to suggest shallow insertion of a couple mm (343/7500 = 0.04753 -> 0.4573/2 = 0.02287 -> sealed ear canal length of ~23mm) assuming his ear canal is of average length (~25mm).

If people can pull up sinegen and run a couple of sweeps wearing Etys with full deep insertion, then chime in with results as to what frequency you hear the peak after 5kHz to be at, I'd love to hear them.

Edit: I don't have an ER-4 myself, but I do have a FitEar F111 which is supposed to measure near identical to the ER-4, albeit with shallow insertion. I hear a resonance at ~7.25kHz with the F111 personally.

At one point I thought this guy was on to something, but with tones I get a dip at ~7.5k with the ER4S, definitely not a peak. Seals the deal for me.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #6,180 of 19,246
At one point I thought this guy was on to something, but with tones I get a dip at ~7.5k with the ER4S, definitely not a peak. Seals the deal for me.

Interesting, was that with deep insertion? Do you hear any peaks at all between 5kHz and 10kHz or is it completely smooth for you? With deeper insertion of 8mm or more, the resonance frequency should get pushed up above 10kHz and becomes less of an issue.

Edit: nice, 2000th post
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back