If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #6,046 of 19,246
  Has anyone got any experience with the stagediver SD series, especially SD-1 and SD-2?

I am considering getting the ER4-PT or the SD-1 (same price) or jump up to the SD-2 (2 x ER4-PT price).

I have in order of preference...

Audio-Technica ATH-IM50 (filters removed & Silver cable, increased highs and stage)
Fischer Audio DBA-02 mk II (re-cabled)
DIY PK1 x 2 (re-cabled, increased vents in housings)
TTPOD TT2 (filters removed, resister bypassed, increased highs and stage)
KZ ATE
Vsonic VSD3S

I value soundstage width/depth and treble extension, but like for bass to come through where the recording calls for it (in a fast and controlled manor).

I've been torn between the two for months, hopefully someone can help!?

.SoSoS.

Quote:
First of all, good review. One of the few about the SD2.

On my last trip to Taiwan, I auditioned the SD2 quite extensively alongside the ie800, SUI, FIBASS and other rather high end universals.

Yet I constantly found myself going back to the SD2 for reference. Although it doesn't have sound signature which spontaniously fully appreciate, I was struck how well the sound was executed.
It was completely spike-free and had an astonishing sense of space for an iem with such good isolation. The SD2 has incredible separation (especially for an only dual BA setup).

From all iems I tried during those 2 days, the SD2 (and the UERM) were the only ones I would like to have bought on the spot.

If I were to critisise the SD2, I would say that it lacks treble extension, sparkle and speed. I found that in some faster tracks, although evertyhing was very well seperated and clean, it lacked the attack which I would have loved to hear.
I currently use an ER4 so take that as you will.
Also the price is imo high for a dual BA, univeral iem which, although very comfortable, is not very 'pretty' to look at.

I am quite sure that I will aquire this iem at some stage, as it left me with a lasting impression (I don't say this lightly).

Definitely underrated....

Quote:
  thanks for the review. I recently got a pair of sd-2 and your sentiments echoed my own feelings quite closely. I upgraded from er4s and really appreciate the warmer sound, increased depth in soundstage, and less width tbh compared to the er4s as I was seeking a more intimate sound laterally. Depth and height is more important to me. I found these moderately high also. with some tracks really giving a sense of the real space the song was recorded in. 

The soft subwoofer esp resonated with my own experiences. Going back to my hd650 was interesting as it really plops some more heft into that sub bass. But I really find as a up/side grade to my er4s (for sale in forums atm) Im very satisfied. 

Thanks for the review! 

For more information and comparison, check this thread. 
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/738976/review-inear-sd-2-a-450-dual-driver-iem-worth-every-penny-to-my-ears

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #6,047 of 19,246
Thanks, should have searched...my bad. 

Can't find much info on the SD-1 mind, as they are the same price I am very interested how they stack up to the ER4-PT/S.

At twice the price I am not sure the SD-2 offer enough to justify the extra cost, other than the detachable cable and over ear wear; unless the ER4 outclasses the SD-1 so much it is simply not an option?

Head-Fi gear decisions...... why did I ever get into this!

.SoSoS.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #6,048 of 19,246

Can't find much info on the SD-1 mind, as they are the same price I am very interested how they stack up to the ER4-PT/S.

At twice the price I am not sure the SD-2 offer enough to justify the extra cost, other than the detachable cable and over ear wear; unless the ER4 outclasses the SD-1 so much it is simply not an option?

.SoSoS.

Well technically ER4 also has detachable cables, just don't swap too often as it will get loose

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #6,049 of 19,246

.SoSoS.

Not much info on SD-1 was the reason I went for SD-2. I'm still curious, though, as I could imagine that SD-1's sound signature might be more appealing to me. Either more than outclasses ER4 in terms of comfort, that's for sure! If you find the right fit, that is. Isolation can come rather close. Again, with the right fit.

SD-2 is definitely "on the other side of neutral". Sound stage, bass and treble extension are certainly there, whether bass is "fast and controlled" enough for you, I don't know. Compared to ER4 (I only know ER4S), it's quite a different beast. I can recommend SD-2, if you're looking for something complementary to ER4 (or, say, DBA-02 mk ii).

If you happen to find more info on SD-1, make sure to share it! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #6,050 of 19,246
sososerious, I've auditioned SD-1 several weeks ago. Compared to ER4S it's less refined, a little muddy in the midrange, grainy treble, more upper bass quantity. Soundstage has good width, depth a bit better than Ety. But my source has 10 Ohm output impedance so different impressions might occur
SD-1 is definetely on the analytical side, for a fun sound you should look into other IEMs. Hope it will help somehow

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #6,051 of 19,246
  sososerious, I've auditioned SD-1 several weeks ago. Compared to ER4S it's less refined, a little muddy in the midrange, grainy treble, more upper bass quantity. But my source has 10 Ohm output impedance so different impressions might occur
SD-1 is definetely on the analytical side, for a fun sound you should look into other IEMs. Hope it will help a little

Ouch. SD-1's nominal impedance is 45 ohms. SD-2's is 40 ohms, but minimum is around 16 ohms. 10 ohms output impedance can affect the sound. Good that you mentioned it. Thanks for your impressions anyway!

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #6,053 of 19,246
HI

Think my Er-4p to ER4s adpater is on the way out (only use my Etys as ER-4s), get dropouts every now and then when walking around and the adapter is the culprit. I could canabalise it and make some modifications like replacing the female socket and shortening the adapter cable.......but not really a fan of the form of this adapter so after looking for alternatives found this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUNU-3-5mm-Audio-headphone-Jack-Adapter-75Ohm-or-150Ohm-Impedance-Plug-/171386333440?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27e76be900

any one tried it?

Thanks

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #6,054 of 19,246
  HI

Think my Er-4p to ER4s adpater is on the way out (only use my Etys as ER-4s), get dropouts every now and then when walking around and the adapter is the culprit. I could canabalise it and make some modifications like replacing the female socket and shortening the adapter cable.......but not really a fan of the form of this adapter so after looking for alternatives found this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUNU-3-5mm-Audio-headphone-Jack-Adapter-75Ohm-or-150Ohm-Impedance-Plug-/171386333440?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27e76be900

any one tried it?

Thanks

Really interesting, thanks for sharing.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #6,057 of 19,246
Thanks for the insight, as you mentioned them...the R50s are practically the same as my DBA-02 aren't they? Do you think moving up to the etys would be a big improvement in terms of sound staging, treble quality and detail retrieval?

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #6,058 of 19,246
Thanks for the insight, as you mentioned them...the R50s are practically the same as my DBA-02 aren't they? Do you think moving up to the etys would be a big improvement in terms of sound staging, treble quality and detail retrieval?

I've owned both R-50 and DBA-02.

I think both the above have wider soundstaging than ER4S, but most other areas Ety outshines those two. Especially detail retrieval.

ER4S are not like other IEMs you simply buy, get bored of eventually and sell one day.

There are good reasons for this, and best you find out. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #6,060 of 19,246

I've owned both R-50 and DBA-02.

I think both the above have wider soundstaging than ER4S, but most other areas Ety outshines those two. Especially detail retrieval.

ER4S are not like other IEMs you simply buy, get bored of eventually and sell one day.

There are good reasons for this, and best you find out. 
wink_face.gif

I had an idea at some point that low freq being the hardest to locate in space, they were a big part in making 1 single instrument to occupy more space. you know how the er4 pinpoints each instruments, well I thought it was (at least in part) due to the treble extension, and the weak bass/subs. that's really the ER4 that gave me the idea.
I tried to EQ but I felt like I just wouldn't get the sub I was looking for without destroying the rest in the process(don't you feel like the ER4 kind of sucks globally as soon as you try to add like 5 or 6db or more in the sub?  so I tried the weirdest stuff, I put on my hd650 above my er4 ^_^ lol.
I went the complicated road with VAC and VSThost to get 2 outputs with independent volume controls and some low pass filter/small EQ for the hd650. in retrospect, it would have worded almost as well with a doubling jack and an old remote cable(rheostat kind) to lower the volume on the er4 and just counting on the isolation to filter the high freqs. oh well.
rolleyes.gif

anyway I fooled around a long time with that and my very unproven own conclusion was that it might indeed be a choice to make. knife sharp precision in space and detail of the ER4 with kind of flat texture and 180° in line instruments, or more subs, more texture and feeling of "3D", but immediate sense of losing in precision.
can't say if it's about how our brain get distracted by the bass(or maybe receives contradictory spacial cues?), or if somehow the bass comes to pressure the driver in a way that tempers with how accurately it can move for trebles(I remember reading about even multi BAs rolling off in trebles because of bass driver, but I didn't understand the explanation
redface.gif
).

I'm a sub addict so I would sacrifice a great deal for them, but I now doubt it's possible to really get the feeling of the ER4 with good bass. and mr Suyama(fitear) thought the same for different reasons when he tried to make an er4 with bass.

oh and I really was never a fan of dba2, B2 and other stuff with the same double driver spiking close to 10khz. I guess I had them all(only tried the dba mkII a few days though)because I always reach for small form factor. my favorite were the Qjays but they all had the same pros and cons. they were amazing because of how small and comfy they could be, without too much cable noise. but the signature... still yes the soundstage felt maybe not bigger, but more "3D" no doubt. and the massive bass bump could fit with my hypothesis I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back