If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 31, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #6,031 of 19,253
I love my special build Tzar350, made me finally leave ER4 after 10-15 years.

May 31, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #6,033 of 19,253
I have the Savant as a review unit since couple of weeks back. Wouldn't say it is neutral. There is a slight spike in the upper frequencies and a boosted bass. But a lovely sound signature nonetheless.

The Savant definitely has more bass than the ER4S, but I didn't get any impression of midbass creep, which is say is the biggest issue with increased bass. Treble was similar to the ER4S with a slight boost somewhere, one that I found extremely well done.

When I EQ the red filtered ER4S (and I'm not alone in this), I boost the bass below 60Hz by about 6dB, and boost ~7k by about ~3dB, as there are dips in both places to my ears. The treble on the Savant I found to be very slightly boosted, less than the UERM I'd say. I'd also say the Savant's treble is boosted less than the ER4S's treble is dipped if that makes sense.

Based on everything I read, the N4 should be the most neutral IEM made by Noble. I would be very interested in an IEM that is comfortable to wear and sounds neutral without modding (cable replacement, EQ and/or filter rolling). Isolation should be in the same ballpark as ety, too. Any experiences anyone?

For the time being I'm just using dba-02mkii BTW.

Heard the 4 a couple times last year and wasn't impressed. IIRC the mids just weren't transparent to me. Didn't bother listening to them this time around.

The Tzar 350 I heard had even less bass than the ER4S. It sounded pretty terrible to my ears.

May 31, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #6,034 of 19,253
Proof we all hear things differently.  Finally found a Tzar350 which caused my ER4S sale, and to say it as less bass than the ER4S raises my eyebrows. Upper frequencies can be too hot depending on the track, but source and amplification and amp impedance (higher is better, imo) negates them for the most part. The Tzar owners should try a OTL amp like a Bottlehead Crack. Now, back on track with the Etys.

May 31, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #6,036 of 19,253
May 31, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #6,037 of 19,253
Proof we all hear things differently.  Finally found a Tzar350 which caused my ER4S sale, and to say it as less bass than the ER4S raises my eyebrows. Upper frequencies can be too hot depending on the track, but source and amplification and amp impedance (higher is better, imo) negates them for the most part. The Tzar owners should try a OTL amp like a Bottlehead Crack. Now, back on track with the Etys.

If I had to guess I'd say the 350 I heard was defective. The bass drop with corresponding treble emphasis wasn't a subtle issue to my ears,and I'd have a tough time believing the sig I heard was purposefully designed. It'd be nice to hear another pair to verify my suspicion, but Noble doesn't bring the Tzar series to meets.

Glad you found an ER4S replacement. Many of us are still looking for that mystical upgrade. The Rockets do it for me in some ways, but not others. The Savant is the closest thing I've heard in a while.

May 31, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #6,038 of 19,253
The ones you listened too, which were mine were defective. I had them replaced, but shortly sold them after getting the UERM. I found that there is no mystical upgrade from the ER4S, just a mix of pluses/minuses (more bass, wider and airy stage, consistent comfort...etc while upholding that house Ety diffuse sound field presentation without EQ or other manipulations within the chain). At least according to my ears.

On a side note, is the Noble Savant a dual driver with high impedance similar to the PR?

May 31, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #6,039 of 19,253
  The ones you listened too, which were mine were defective. I had them replaced, but shortly sold them after getting the UERM. I found that there is no mystical upgrade from the ER4S, just a mix of pluses/minuses (more bass, wider and airy stage, consistent comfort...etc while upholding that house Ety diffuse sound field presentation without EQ or other manipulations within the chain). At least according to my ears.

On a side note, is the Noble Savant a dual driver with high impedance similar to the PR?

Don't think it is high impedance. It has the same shell as the K10 Universal which is ten drivers, but Noble haven't disclosed how many drivers the Savant has. Probably in the 3-5 range...

May 31, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #6,041 of 19,253
Don't think it is high impedance. It has the same shell as the K10 Universal which is ten drivers, but Noble haven't disclosed how many drivers the Savant has. Probably in the 3-5 range...

Yeah it has two openings at the end of the nozzle, but I'm not sure that necessarily means anything. The shells were very light, and the Noble rep kept mentioning "hybrid" in a cryptic way. Still, nothing has been confirmed.

Ah thanks for confirming. I thought that was the case. I tend to agree with your view on an Ety upgrade, but the hopelessly hopeful part of me thinks that if we can improve the ER4S with EQ, then there has to be a way to improve it physically. Maybe not, but I'm withholding judgement either way.

May 31, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #6,042 of 19,253
A fairly comparable substitute to the er4s are the Audeo pfe 012 phonak's I got on sale for $40. Shure triple flange tips with the large flange cut clear off, and cable guides. Grey filters AFTER burn in. It took a while for me to dial these in, but the results are both convenient and fantastic. The er4s+amp set up will be getting some much deserved rest for the summer. iPod 5.5 and pfe's are cookin' for now!

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #6,043 of 19,253
Still amazed at the quality of the mids every time I listen to these. Extremely clear and up forward, yet with no ringing at all that I notice. Love the tightness of the bass as well, to me it's perfect in amount. Wish for more highs at times but I guess the lack of extension at the topmost end keeps these from too fatiguing.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #6,044 of 19,253
Ah thanks for confirming. I thought that was the case. I tend to agree with your view on an Ety upgrade, but the hopelessly hopeful part of me thinks that if we can improve the ER4S with EQ, then there has to be a way to improve it physically. Maybe not, but I'm withholding judgement either way.

Don Wilson himself said that the sub bass could be improved by physical means but at the cost of losing functionality on airplanes. But I think there must be a way to fix that.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #6,045 of 19,253
Has anyone got any experience with the stagediver SD series, especially SD-1 and SD-2?

I am considering getting the ER4-PT or the SD-1 (same price) or jump up to the SD-2 (2 x ER4-PT price).

I have in order of preference...

Audio-Technica ATH-IM50 (filters removed & Silver cable, increased highs and stage)
Fischer Audio DBA-02 mk II (re-cabled)
DIY PK1 x 2 (re-cabled, increased vents in housings)
TTPOD TT2 (filters removed, resister bypassed, increased highs and stage)
KZ ATE
Vsonic VSD3S

I value soundstage width/depth and treble extension, but like for bass to come through where the recording calls for it (in a fast and controlled manor).

I've been torn between the two for months, hopefully someone can help!?

.SoSoS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back