If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 7, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #5,746 of 19,256
  ...In fact, the added treble accuracy helps the transparency of bass instruments to sound better. But that's my take on it...

That's an interesting take. Might explain why (to me at least) even (acoustic) bass sounds way more detailed and fascinating through ER4S compared to something like SD2 despite the latter's technical superiority in terms of bass quantity and extension. I have some solo bass albums, which I definitely prefer listening to through ER4S. (Actually, since the ER4S make me feel like a novice fakir, I prefer DBA-02 mk2 most of the time.)

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #5,749 of 19,256
Yeah I know I can replace it with an genuine cable, but what if I want a balanced cable made by, for example, silver plated copper? 
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #5,750 of 19,256

Busted! The guys at Etymotic having been terribly wrong all those years...
wink.gif

VQLGJOL.jpg

They are appealing to non technical users. :p. They consider less treble more bass, but really it's more everything other than treble. Lol. How come no one says the er4p has more mids? They do! :p

Face it, they are a crippled er4s. Anyone that has heard both knows that they are. :wink: haha

And that gif is amazing.

they just go with what is happening. the lower impedance does make the er4p louder and the relative increase compared to the er4s is indeed more bass while the mid to treble zone is more rolled off(just following the impedance curve). from a source with the same voltage that's what is happening.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #5,751 of 19,256

Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone mentioned that there was about a 10% crossover/crossfeed with the channels and I can agree. I was noticing it right off the bat. My phone's sound suite (Viper4Android) has a crossover option and it was similar at around 5-10% to the stock cables. That said with less crossover/crossfeed and better channel separation comes larger soundstage. It's taking some getting used to because it no longer centers in your head as much but so far I dig!

gixxerwimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
email from customer-service@etymotic.com 

There is no intentional cross feed in the ER4 products. There is some cross-talk in any system using a common ground. Since all earphones use a common ground pin, they will have some cross-talk. The amount will depend on the impedance of the system, and the common ground resistance. Depending on the ER4 version and the vintage of the cable, there are some difference in the amount of common mode cross-talk.

Best Regards,

Rick Carlson
Customer Service
Etymotic Research, Inc.

I didn't know V4A had a crossfeed function. It's hidden under "AUDITORY SYSTEM PROTECTION". Not sure what "Cure Tech+" is supposed to do, but setting the "Binaural Level" to Moderate makes Kind of Blue much less fatiguing to listen to.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #5,752 of 19,256

I didn't know V4A had a crossfeed function. It's hidden under "AUDITORY SYSTEM PROTECTION". Not sure what "Cure Tech+" is supposed to do, but setting the "Binaural Level" to Moderate makes Kind of Blue much less fatiguing to listen to.

They may not add it intentionally but its there. I had been listening to them quite a bit before I hooked up the new cables and there was a very Audible separation of channels that went beyond what the stock cables provided.

To get the cross channel on viper, I used the convolver with a no processing effect to manually add crossfeed.

The Auditory System Protection option reduces frequencies that can cause hearing loss. Basically if a song has a lot of sibilance it will take it down some. Most humans hear their best between 2-4khz range so it makes it less dangerous to our ears at loud volumes. I use that and the Gate Limiter with podcasts and audio books to help keep the volume more even. If you've ever heard someone laugh with a crappy mic loudly it's good for fixing that.

Overall I'm hella happy. Only wish the fiio cable was 90 degrees but its not a big deal.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #5,753 of 19,256
To get the cross channel on viper, I used the convolver with a no processing effect to manually add crossfeed.

The Auditory System Protection option reduces frequencies that can cause hearing loss. Basically if a song has a lot of sibilance it will take it down some. Most humans hear their best between 2-4khz range so it makes it less dangerous to our ears at loud volumes. I use that and the Gate Limiter with podcasts and audio books to help keep the volume more even. If you've ever heard someone laugh with a crappy mic loudly it's good for fixing that.

Thanks for the Convolver tip. Ignore my PM as I managed to find a "DFX no processing.irs" download. Sounds MUCH better than ASP w/ "Binaural Level".

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #5,754 of 19,256
I've been working on tweaking the EQ I had for the red filters. This viper4android tour I'm our has had me trying to get the best out of my er4s.

Not only do i find it the best still compared to other earphones, but with this EQ applied it is by far the most neutral I've heard my er4s.

Please give it a shot and let me know what you think. It is absolutely critical that you get a good deep, full seal with the triple flange tips only (i'm using smalls, but they should sound similar with the right seal and depth). This will not sound correct with green filters, only use red filters with this EQ. I used accudio to generate the EQ on my iphone, but it should translate to any bandwidth based EQ app, or you can convert the values online. For me this literally "opens up" the treble, so I hear into the music more naturally. I'm loving it at the moment. :)

ER4S red filter, small triple flange
40hz        +7db        1.2bw
2950hz        -1db        1.3bw
7500hz        +4db        1.0bw
8375hz        -5db        0.2bw
10000hz        -3db        0.3bw
17000hz        +2db        2.4bw
9000hz        -3db        0.5bw

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #5,755 of 19,256
Hey, I've owned my HF5's for about 2 years now and the sound is cutting out on one ear now (My fault, I am very rough with cables).

Etymotic have their out of warranty service where you can upgrade to another pair of headphones by sending your current pair in.

I am going to get the ER4S, just wondering if the cabling on it is more rugged or durable? And would you recommend amping it? I am also looking at the E07K to add to my music.

I use a HTC or Sansa Clip+ for my music source.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #5,756 of 19,256
Hey, I've owned my HF5's for about 2 years now and the sound is cutting out on one ear now (My fault, I am very rough with cables).

Etymotic have their out of warranty service where you can upgrade to another pair of headphones by sending your current pair in.

I am going to get the ER4S, just wondering if the cabling on it is more rugged or durable? And would you recommend amping it? I am also looking at the E07K to add to my music.

I use a HTC or Sansa Clip+ for my music source.

Sansa Clip+ ... No need to amp. I would just use them with no amp unless you find a specific reason you need one. The clip is a very high quality source.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #5,758 of 19,256
It's kind of taking me full circle this thread. These were my first foray into audiophile territory and the main memory I have of it is bliss at the seal and sound isolation at first, and then growing angst at the discomfort and microphonics. My ears are more used to the intrusion now.

Getting a working set for £23 brought them back to me and now I'm swapping out the cable using the mods shown (got the Linum BAX on order and the S adapter), and now I'm thinking maybe I'll get some of those red filters too.

Last but not least I've cushioned the barrels of the earpieces with some stock Sony MH1 silicon tips, alongside the trusty Ety tri flanges (which were always my preference), and hey presto they're as comfortable as my customs, and provide a better seal, and incomparable isolation as always. When I pull them out I feel like half my brain's gonna get sucked out with them.

So all in all after wasting a whole lot of money on this site, I've a feeling I'm going to arrive at a preferred set up that's cost me about £120 or thereabouts. Amazed at that really. Until a few weeks ago I had cravings for the new ACS universals as a backup set for work, with a third set for running, but now I'm thinking these might do me fine on all fronts.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #5,760 of 19,256
royhendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Getting a working set for £23brought them back to me and now I'm swapping out the cable using the mods shown (got the Linum BAX on order and the S adapter), and now I'm thinking maybe I'll get some of those red filters too.

Last but not least I've cushioned the barrels of the earpieces with some stock Sony MH1 silicon tips, alongside the trusty Ety tri flanges (which were always my preference), and hey presto they're as comfortable as my customs, and provide a better seal, and incomparable isolation as always.

eek.gif
... you got a pair for how much?
What have you done exactly with the Sony MH1 tips? Cut them open and put them over the armature enclosures?

I'll probably just end up obsessed with finding red filters now.

luisdent /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These ARE NOT er4 compatible:
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/ety8/er88-50.html

These ARE er4 compatible:
http://www.etymotic.com/er38-50bn.html

I have them in my er4s. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back