If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 9, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #5,776 of 19,272

Holy cow guys this thread rocks! So far I've managed to change the crappy stock cables with this S adapter plug for Shure cables and then use some wide mouthed plugs I've had lying around for years to help further seal and improve a better fit. Now instead of resting directly deep inside my ears it can now rest on the outside of my ear. It not only further improves seal but also stabilizes it a bit. 

Thanks a ton for this thread and the continued input guy even after all these years. Definitely an incredible IEM even to this day. 

EDIT: Forgot to explain about the purple on the left side. It should be obvious but I use it to easier identify the side. The purple came from some plugs that came with my Roku 3. Not sure if purple should be on the left or right side but I figure it like this, "purpLe". Same could be said about "puRple" right? I'm left handed so I tend to look for the left side first and a color that sticks out makes it easier, obviously. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #5,777 of 19,272
  Can't buy those red filters in the UK from the Etymotic site sadly.

I was going to suggest a US forwarding service, but then I went on their site and got this far.

Not sure if you run into an obstacle further down the line, but it would seem they ship to the UK.

I have a friend returning to Taiwan from the US, and might have some sent to her to save on the shipping. If you haven't sorted it out by then and still want some, let me know and I can mail them to you from here when I get them in June. All this dependent on whether or not I can get the metal Knowles filters out of my 4Ps ...
blink.gif

EDIT: Went one step further and USPS to international addresses is only $6.50. Very reasonable.
The orange filters that fit ER-4 are these: http://www.etymotic.com/er38-50ht-orange-filters.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/5595#post_11399376

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #5,779 of 19,272

I was going to suggest a US forwarding service, but then I went on their site and got this far.

Not sure if you run into an obstacle further down the line, but it would seem they ship to the UK.

I have a friend returning to Taiwan from the US, and might have some sent to her to save on the shipping. If you haven't sorted it out by then and still want some, let me know and I can mail them to you from here when I get them in June. All this dependent on whether or not I can get the metal Knowles filters out of my 4Ps ...
blink.gif

EDIT: Went one step further and USPS to international addresses is only $6.50. Very reasonable.
The orange filters that fit ER-4 are these: http://www.etymotic.com/er38-50ht-orange-filters.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/5595#post_11399376

Superb! I had assumed I couldn't based on their UK customer service guys' advice the other month.

Thank you :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #5,781 of 19,272

royhendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My only other question though is - are these the right red filters? Isn't it the metal knowles red filters that make the desired change in bass?

From what I've read, the colour codes seem to be a de facto industry standard. So the same colour filters from different companies have the same acoustic impedance. And people who've used the red plastic ER38-50BN filters from Ety talk about the same bass increase. But maybe someone else more knowledgeable can pipe in and confirm this for you.

EDIT: This is only circumstantial evidence, but the acoustic impedance for this company's dampers match up exactly with Knowles.
http://www.sonion.com/Products/Modules/Sonion%20Sound%20Dampers.aspx

Type            Color           Acoustic resistance
Nom. [Ω] 
SSD 01White 680 
SSD 02 Green1500
SSD 03Red2200
SSD 04Grey320
SSD 05Brown1000
SSD 06Orange3300
SSD 07Yellow4700

http://www.knowles.com/eng/Products/Accessories/Dampers

Model ID
Impedance
Colour
BF-1859-000
White
BF-1860-000
Brown
BF-1861-000
Green
BF-1921-000
Red
BF-1922-000
Orange
BF-1923-000
Yellow

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #5,782 of 19,272

royhendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My only other question though is - are these the right red filters? Isn't it the metal knowles red filters that make the desired change in bass?

From what I've read, the colour codes seem to be a de facto industry standard. So the same colour filters from different companies have the same acoustic impedance. And people who've used the red plastic ER38-50BN filters from Ety talk about the same bass increase. But maybe someone else more knowledgeable can pipe in and confirm this for you.

EDIT: This is only circumstantial evidence, but the acoustic impedance for this company's dampers match up exactly with Knowles.
http://www.sonion.com/Products/Modules/Sonion%20Sound%20Dampers.aspx

Type            Color           Acoustic resistance
Nom. [Ω] 
SSD 01White 680 
SSD 02 Green1500
SSD 03Red2200
SSD 04Grey320
SSD 05Brown1000
SSD 06Orange3300
SSD 07Yellow4700

http://www.knowles.com/eng/Products/Accessories/Dampers

Model ID
Impedance
Colour
BF-1859-000
White
BF-1860-000
Brown
BF-1861-000
Green
BF-1921-000
Red
BF-1922-000
Orange
BF-1923-000
Yellow

The knowles and etymotic filters sound the same. They all have a slight % variance possible, but within those margins they are the same filters.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #5,785 of 19,272
Just wanted to say that I can't stress enough how well wetting the tips of your er4 makes life so much easier. You don't have to soak them. I lick my finger and then rub it on the eartips a bit so they are moist. When you do this you can get a much better seal and depth without any vacuum problems. It might sound weird, but it is the single best thing that has improved how easy my er4s are to use. It even makes them more comfortable as they slide and fit more gently when they're moist.

Has anyone else noticed that the er4s are the only earphone out there that you can talk about and it sounds like you're talking about sex? Perhaps that's just proof that they are really incredible :wink:

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #5,786 of 19,272
Just wanted to say that I can't stress enough how well wetting the tips of your er4 makes life so much easier. You don't have to soak them. I lick my finger and then rub it on the eartips a bit so they are moist. When you do this you can get a much better seal and depth without any vacuum problems. It might sound weird, but it is the single best thing that has improved how easy my er4s are to use. It even makes them more comfortable as they slide and fit more gently when they're moist.

Has anyone else noticed that the er4s are the only earphone out there that you can talk about and it sounds like you're talking about sex? Perhaps that's just proof that they are really incredible :wink:

Bit of tip licken never hurt nobody.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #5,788 of 19,272
In other news there's a new player in town, well new enough. It's called the Hum Pervasion, an android based DAP with line out support and quite a strong internal amp section for the headphone out.. Probably the first DAP I've tried which I feel drives my ER4S to similar levels as the C421 amp.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #5,789 of 19,272

My nephew thought his earphones were bust, gave them to me cos he knew I liked them, didn't want any money, I insisted on some money, haggling ensued, £23 the end result.   

I have inherited another set of ER-4Ps from my nephew (which I bought for him for recording work a few years ago). They've got distortion, presumably from the earpieces/transducers themselves - there doesn't seem to be any issue with the cable (which is enormously frustrating as I just sold a set cheap because of cable issues. 

If there's distortion, could it be related to the filters? Excuse my ignorance folks. :) 

Turned out a change of filters rendered them good as new. He'd already gotten a replacement set of monitors, so everyone's a winner. :) 

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #5,790 of 19,272
My nephew thought his earphones were bust, gave them to me cos he knew I liked them, didn't want any money, I insisted on some money, haggling ensued, £23 the end result.

I have inherited another set of ER-4Ps from my nephew (which I bought for him for recording work a few years ago).  

I seem to remember reading that post, but didn't connect them. Does this mean you paid for them twice? ;-p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back