If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #4,966 of 19,256
Just my $0.02's worth on ER-4S vs UE900....

Firstly, those suffering earache with the Etys - I feel your pain. Literally :wink:
None of the included Ety tips worked for me. I mean, they'd work, but wouldn't be comfortable enough for me to use for any extended period of time. (The glider tips came closest. I wish Etymotic would provide gliders in many more sizes.) There are two good alternatives though - Comply foam and Shure olives. Both give incredible isolation. Comply foam is heat sensitive, so they actually soften while you're wearing them. There are pros and cons to that - on a long-haul flight, Comply tips are more comfortable than the thicker foam of the Shure olives, but the seal can eventually weaken as a result. Comply tips also need replacing frequently and are expensive. The Shure olives are pretty much indestructible. I'm able to wear Shure olive tips for a full 12 hour flight. 45dB NRR :)

About those UE900 headphones... I had once thought/hoped they might be the solution to the one and only remaining issue I have with the ER-4S (or ER-4P), which is the slightly amemic bass. I was hugely disappointed with the UE900 for several reasons. They can have connection issues and you may need to periodically apply deoxit to the swivel connectors. They're over-ear only and take a bit of fiddling around to put on. They have wide posts, which is going to limit your choice of aftermarket tips. The larger (relative to ER4) headphone body sits outside the canal opening and means you're also unable to adjust the insertion depth. But the killer for me was the sound. UE900 has two of its four balanced armature drivers dedicated to the bass - yet even with a perfect seal, amp and EQ, you'll barely hear them. FR also has an odd mid-range dip which leaves the lower treble sounding veiled. I honestly preferred the sound of the stock Apple EarPods to that of the UE900. For $400, they're not great value for money. They're also now replaced with the UE900s, but what the UE900s actually is, is a bit of a mystery. Some have extra bits of blue plastic and some don't. Some look (or actually are) identical to the UE900, and if you get one of the older models in the newer cardboard packaging, Logitech won't replace them as the UE900s is sonically identical to the UE900.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #4,967 of 19,256
At the risk of sounding redundant, I have to chime in regarding posts on the last page about treble clarity. It is very clear yet pleasing at the same time. A rare feat, in my opinion. This and the isolation has been the draw for me. As a drummer. I don't need to hear beauty as much as I need action. Both are welcome. I listen to jazz and want to hear everything a drummer plays. I don't want extended or eq'd treble. Just clarity. What amazes me is the lack of ear fatigue the er4P's provide (and the ER4S these days) while still being able to hear all the detail.

First it was just er4p's with an iPod classic with these, now it's er4S with a jds labs C5 and classic. Happy for now!

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #4,968 of 19,256

Firstly, those suffering earache with the Etys - I feel your pain. Literally :wink:
None of the included Ety tips worked for me. I mean, they'd work, but wouldn't be comfortable enough for me to use for any extended period of time. (The glider tips came closest. I wish Etymotic would provide gliders in many more sizes.) There are two good alternatives though - Comply foam and Shure olives. Both give incredible isolation. Comply foam is heat sensitive, so they actually soften while you're wearing them. There are pros and cons to that - on a long-haul flight, Comply tips are more comfortable than the thicker foam of the Shure olives, but the seal can eventually weaken as a result. Comply tips also need replacing frequently and are expensive. The Shure olives are pretty much indestructible. I'm able to wear Shure olive tips for a full 12 hour flight. 45dB NRR :)

About those UE900 headphones... I had once thought/hoped they might be the solution to the one and only remaining issue I have with the ER-4S (or ER-4P), which is the slightly amemic bass. I was hugely disappointed with the UE900 for several reasons. They can have connection issues and you may need to periodically apply deoxit to the swivel connectors. They're over-ear only and take a bit of fiddling around to put on. They have wide posts, which is going to limit your choice of aftermarket tips. The larger (relative to ER4) headphone body sits outside the canal opening and means you're also unable to adjust the insertion depth. But the killer for me was the sound. UE900 has two of its four balanced armature drivers dedicated to the bass - yet even with a perfect seal, amp and EQ, you'll barely hear them. FR also has an odd mid-range dip which leaves the lower treble sounding veiled. I honestly preferred the sound of the stock Apple EarPods to that of the UE900. For $400, they're not great value for money. They're also now replaced with the UE900s, but what the UE900s actually is, is a bit of a mystery. Some have extra bits of blue plastic and some don't. Some look (or actually are) identical to the UE900, and if you get one of the older models in the newer cardboard packaging, Logitech won't replace them as the UE900s is sonically identical to the UE900.

I could imagine that being a problem for some. I happily only had this issue for about a week, after which the 3flanges were worn in and are now very comfortable. + superb isolation (which baffles me every time).
But Ety surely want you to invest in their custom tips...
wink.gif

I think everyone should have heard of the UE900 QC issues by now. How this even happened is still a mystery to me, as UE / Logitech is by no means a small back-alley company and therefore should be able to have a fairly tight grip on their suppliers in Asia.

Between those two I would, UE900 has more resolution, sounds quite thick, expressive detail in the lower mid-range, likes higher volumes to show Its best. Between an ER4S and UE900 you're basically shifting from two ends of the tonality spectrum. ER4S being brighter, UE900 darker.

I just worry for you  UE900 won't be detailed enough, while it's great I don't know they're worth their full asking price (imo) Something like an ASG-2 (if affordable) would be a good compliment.

Thanks for the heads up.
This is something i also fear, because in your face detail and layering is something i do quite enjoy.

I heard from many different sources that the UE900 aren't supposed to be all that worthwhile. But they are indeed to be quite good with electronic music and Ambient. 
I may want to look into the GR07 for that matter. They seem to be flying around for reasonable prices.

I have never auditioned any ASG iem and can therefore don't have any opinion about them (yet). But at that price, i would probably directly go UERM or do a stop-over at the SD-2. 
The market is much too vast to fully comprehend.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #4,969 of 19,256

Agree on the UE900 bass differences.

See here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/624973/ultimate-ears-ue-900-discussion-and-impressions-thread/3690#post_10981976

WIth DX50 (and other sources) they're ok 

But I can agree it's not a bassy IEM.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #4,970 of 19,256
For what it's worth, I have had my ER4S for over a year probably and I'm STILL getting better luck with tips and comfort the more I experiment and try other tips. The black triple/double flange tips that gnarlsagan recommended a while back are the best so far. However, I need to wet them. I used to be cautious about this, but now I literally lick my thumb and finger and rub the earphone tips so they are moist. Then I insert them and spin them around a little until they are fully in place nice and deep.

When I do this they are comfortable as much as possible given the depth, and they sound the best in terms of seal and neutrality. I always use red filters too, which for me is a must if I'm not using any eq (I usually don't anymore with this combo).

Don't give up. Never surrender. It may seem hopeless, but I'm always so glad I never stopped trying even after times where I didn't use them anymore because they hurt my ears. Now it takes a lot for them to hurt my ears. I have been having great success this way and find the er4s are still one of the top earphones in existence. Absolutely love them.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #4,971 of 19,256
  For what it's worth, I have had my ER4S for over a year probably and I'm STILL getting better luck with tips and comfort the more I experiment and try other tips. The black triple/double flange tips that gnarlsagan recommended a while back are the best so far. However, I need to wet them. I used to be cautious about this, but now I literally lick my thumb and finger and rub the earphone tips so they are moist. Then I insert them and spin them around a little until they are fully in place nice and deep.

When I do this they are comfortable as much as possible given the depth, and they sound the best in terms of seal and neutrality. I always use red filters too, which for me is a must if I'm not using any eq (I usually don't anymore with this combo).

Don't give up. Never surrender. It may seem hopeless, but I'm always so glad I never stopped trying even after times where I didn't use them anymore because they hurt my ears. Now it takes a lot for them to hurt my ears. I have been having great success this way and find the er4s are still one of the top earphones in existence. Absolutely love them.

Agreed.
Gladly for me, they were quite cooperative and they are now very comfortable.
Enough moisture should do the trick.

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #4,972 of 19,256
Hi guys I'm new here, but i couldn't evade registering here due to the amount of information about headphones. So here's the thing, I'm going to buy the er4 pt because they are really nice and i just want a really precise headphone, I'm just bored of using sennheiser cheapo headphones. My question is: any recommendations when I get them?

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #4,973 of 19,256
Hi guys I'm new here, but i couldn't evade registering here due to the amount of information about headphones. So here's the thing, I'm going to buy the er4 pt because they are really nice and i just want a really precise headphone, I'm just bored of using sennheiser cheapo headphones. My question is: any recommendations when I get them?

The ER4PT is a great IEM to choose that comes with a major downside.
Comfort.
Be prepared to choose between a variety of tips before you settle down with the IEM's. Also, when the ER4S is dangling straight from my ear I can hear every rub and bump (Microphonics). So I found an over ear loop solution and I'm happy with the ER4S now. Of course there are other IEM's like the Shure SE series that address over ear hooks, but their IEM's are too bassy for me.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #4,974 of 19,256

From this formulation i deduce that you have already tried and auditioned the ER4. Thus you should be basically familiar with the microphonics and the deep (potentially uncomfortable) fit.
If you have done so, just consider were you are probably going to use them / which will be the most common use scenario.

Sports and cold regions (hats / beanies) are not suitable for the ER4.
Sleeping with them is possible (I do so regularly). But not ideal due to the shape.

I personally would recommend you set aside a bit of money in order to buy a warmer iem (if you don't already own). Using the ER4 as a primary driver, imo, is risky endeavour due to the rather specialized sound signature. 
Keep this in mind and you should very much enjoy these.

They are the only iem i have come across, which has fans who use them for over 18 years - because they are simply 'happy' with them. Can there be any higher praise?

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #4,977 of 19,256
got a pair of er4s after my hf5 broke, stupid tram door, anyway. i've pulled out my trusty ipod/hpp1 combo loaded with vinyl rips from iron maiden, diana krall, melody gardot, mgmt, and miles davis. i use this as i know what to expect from my vinyl rips.

holy definition! very very flat, no harmonic spikes as far as i can tell, bass is a bit leaner but im not a bass head so there. sound stage is not massive as this is an etymotic product, but instrument seperation is handled as with the delicate hands of a trauma surgeon. the soundstage is not 'massive' nor can be considered 'airy' in that context. but it can be deemed 'airy' as defined by the incredible instrument seperation, as if listening in a private jazz club rather than a massive auditorium. the vocalist is center staged, the drummer behind, the bassist to the left and horns the left. the er4s seem a bit more forward and not as 'musical' as the hf5 but so far im thirlled. from the iphone with lower quality audio files, it is a bit difficult to tell the er4s apart from the hf5. it is when a higher product like the hpp1 gets into the picture that the er4s really shines and leaps past the hf5. my only problem now is it's not as 'portable' as the hf5. the cable rubbing on my sweater is more annoying than on the hf5. the right/left cable separator is massive and catches on things which creates more noise rubbing on my sweater. anyway, that's my take so far, good times. cheers gents, roger.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #4,978 of 19,256
After years of being on Head-Fi and only reading about the legend of the ER-4S, I finally ordered my own set recently which just came in today.

HOLY CRAP! Where have these been all my life?! They're so good I don't think I need my JH13 anymore. I love these things! They're awesome! Amazing! Supremely fantastic! !!1#@$!

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,979 of 19,256
  After years of being on Head-Fi and only reading about the legend of the ER-4S, I finally ordered my own set recently which just came in today.

HOLY CRAP! Where have these been all my life?! They're so good I don't think I need my JH13 anymore. I love these things! They're awesome! Amazing! Supremely fantastic! !!1#@$!

Now this is a statement.
beerchug.gif

Just a matter of interest, do you happen to own the UERM? 

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #4,980 of 19,256
I find it hard to put er4 vs jh13. different signatures, switching from one to the other make you feel like the er4 has no sub bass and the jh has no mids.  the jh while having some fine details are very merciful to bad recordings(that's why I never thought of them as monitors) and you can get off ok with most lowfi rock albums. can't really say the same from the ER4. if you feed it with fun music badly recorded you get zero pleasure out of it. and even start thinking "I will find you, and I will kill you" addressing the guy who recorded the album. ever tried some good old punk with the ety? ^_^
"etymotic, the end of anarchism!" they could advertise about it.
cool.gif

also the headstage is very very different, for me at least. I can very much understand someone preferring one over the other, because they're very different animals but I don't think the er4 is "better".

now if you ask me about the customer service, I can very much say that ETY is a looooooooooot better
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back