If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 22, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #4,951 of 19,272
I've put my ER4S away for the time being inside their hard case ( Ety storage box) while I'm very careful with the tips and hygiene levels they've caused deep ear aches / infections on two occasions. I will probably pull them out again one day.

They're not about to be sold however simply put into hibernation. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #4,953 of 19,272
  I've put my ER4S away for the time being inside their hard case ( Ety storage box) while I'm very careful with the tips and hygiene levels they've caused deep ear aches / infections on two occasions. I will probably pull them out again one day.

They're not about to be sold however simply put into hibernation. 

Put into hibernation as the true reference IEM they are.
The question is what do you replace them with for everyday use?
I know you are are fond of the Fidue A83 and whilst they sound great, isolation is poor and they probably won't be the choice of many Ety users.
Do you go for multiple BA drivers - Shure 846, Audiofly AF180 or maybe a more natural successor like the FAD Heaven VI?

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #4,954 of 19,272
I know you are are fond of the Fidue A83 and whilst they sound great, isolation is poor and they probably won't be the choice of many Ety users.
Do you go for multiple BA drivers - Shure 846, Audiofly AF180 or maybe a more natural successor like the FAD Heaven VI?

I circulate between hybrids, quad BA and quite a popular dynamic.

Fidue A83
UE900
T-Peos H-300
Vsonic GR07
T-Peos Altone200
Rhapsodio RDB Mini

Each are assigned a source which I've paired to my opinion the best synergy and they stay that way in a set of draws / storage. This prevents me becoming bored quickly.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #4,955 of 19,272

Fidue A83
UE900
T-Peos H-300
Vsonic GR07
T-Peos Altone200
Rhapsodio RDB Mini

Each are assigned a source which I've paired to my opinion the best synergy and they stay that way in a set of draws / storage. This prevents me becoming bored quickly.

hehe, not only do I work the same way, but I even push it to encoding my mp3s with a given EQ for each pairing(because I find it to be superior to using the DAP's EQ). so even if some DAPs actually sound very much the same, they end up with different lives ^_^.

edit: I also stopped using the er4(again...) and spend more time with the hf5 and mc5(mc5 being real easy to EQ)

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #4,956 of 19,272
hehe, not only do I work the same way, but I even push it to encoding my mp3s with a given EQ for each pairing(because I find it to be superior to using the DAP's EQ). so even if some DAPs actually sound very much the same, they end up with different lives ^_^.

edit: I also stopped using the er4(again...) and spend more time with the hf5 and mc5(mc5 being real easy to EQ)

Damn, you're taking things to another level, if you begin encoding individual tracks we may need to Detox you. :wink:

I only use 16bit FLAC, and dab in a little AAC for sources that don't support the earlier.

My ER4S main source was a Studio V 2nd edition, which is all alone atm.

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #4,957 of 19,272

Fidue A83
UE900
T-Peos H-300
Vsonic GR07
T-Peos Altone200
Rhapsodio RDB Mini

How do the ER4s compare to these iems?

Especially the GR07 and the UE900. 
How would they complement the ER4s? [size=12.8000001907349px]Thanks.[/size]

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #4,958 of 19,272
  How do the ER4s compare to these iems?

Especially the GR07 and the UE900. 
How would they complement the ER4s? [size=12.8000001907349px]Thanks.[/size]

From a tonality perspective both you underlined definitely complement ER4S. UE900 is quite a darkish sounding IEM for my preferences, darkest mids in my list and more than I assumed on purchasing but it remains quite detailed. As for GR07 I'm really past the detail levels it offers, something like an ER4S is a step ahead in detail retrieval, for me GR07 is about timbre, atmosphere it creates, good for chilling out listening to ambient tracks with natural instruments.

UE900 is simply a solid performer and above GR07 with different steak sauce. After using IEM like Altone, A83 my ER4S shows some limitations in detail and clarity but saying this in the ER4S appreciation thread isn't wise at all. :wink: To be honest apart from ear ache problems I was having I want to wait until I can find a source which can colour the ER4S a little. Sometimes it sounds a little sterile compared to others in my list.

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #4,960 of 19,272

From a tonality perspective both you underlined definitely complement ER4S. UE900 is quite a darkish sounding IEM for my preferences, darkest mids in my list and more than I assumed on purchasing but it remains quite detailed. As for GR07 I'm really past the detail levels it offers, something like an ER4S is a step ahead in detail retrieval, for me GR07 is about timbre, atmosphere it creates, good for chilling out listening to ambient tracks with natural instruments.

UE900 is simply a solid performer and above GR07 with different steak sauce. After using IEM like Altone, A83 my ER4S shows some limitations in detail and clarity but saying this in the ER4S appreciation thread isn't wise at all. :wink: To be honest apart from ear ache problems I was having I want to wait until I can find a source which can colour the ER4S a little. Sometimes it sounds a little sterile compared to others in my list.

All but the UE900's have dynamic drivers, so I am guessing that isolation is not so important for you. I live in an area where it is difficult to escape traffic noise, so it becomes a priority for a walking IEM. That is why I only included BA devices in my list of possible successors.
I think you'll find it difficult to find a source to colour the ER4S - much easier to find an IEM to colour the source. I went the other way and have a source designed in the same way as the ER4S to be transparent and they do complement each other very well and let the music shine through.

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #4,961 of 19,272

All but the UE900's have dynamic drivers, so I am guessing that isolation is not so important for you. I live in an area where it is difficult to escape traffic noise, so it becomes a priority for a walking IEM. That is why I only included BA devices in my list of possible successors.
I think you'll find it difficult to find a source to colour the ER4S - much easier to find an IEM to colour the source. I went the other way and have a source designed in the same way as the ER4S to be transparent and they do complement each other very well and let the music shine through.

Actually, isolation means very little to me as none of the gear mentioned actually gets used outside, Strange as that sounds.

One thing I totally not worry about, especially considering I listen late at night anyway. 

Oh don't you worry, from the sources I've tried/own on my profile, I'll colour those ER4S. 
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #4,962 of 19,272

One of the things i commend the ER4s for, is its treble which is extended but never sibilant or harsh. No mean feat.
But i have heard the GR07 displaying those problems. I don't know about the UE900.

Any comments?

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #4,963 of 19,272
One of the things i commend the ER4s for, is its treble which is extended but never sibilant or harsh. No mean feat.
But i have heard the GR07 displaying those problems. I don't know about the UE900.

Any comments?

I also love the way ER4S handles and controls vocal sibilance, very well done considering thier push in the upper mids, I think because it's so well refined helps. I give them a hard time with test tracks and they roll off sibilance with ease.

I agree completey on the GR07 treble, can get a little 'how you going' at times.

UE900 has the most relaxed treble of all three, very smooth, inoffensive. Sometimes I find myself cranking the volume for more at times.

T-Peos H-300 treble however is a little like dancing with the devil. The fine lines between pleasure and pain. =)

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #4,964 of 19,272
I also love the way ER4S handles and controls vocal sibilance, very well done considering thier push in the upper mids, I think because it's so well refined helps. I give them a hard time with test tracks and they roll off sibilance with ease.

I agree completey on the GR07 treble, can get a little 'how you going' at times.

UE900 has the most relaxed treble of all three, very smooth, inoffensive. Sometimes I find myself cranking the volume for more at times.

T-Peos H-300 treble however is a little like dancing with the devil. The fine lines between pleasure and pain. =)

Would you personally recommend the UE900 over the GR07 in terms of complimenting the ER4s?
How do they compare resolution wise?

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #4,965 of 19,272
  Would you personally recommend the UE900 over the GR07 in terms of complimenting the ER4s?
How do they compare resolution wise?

Between those two I would, UE900 has more resolution, sounds quite thick, expressive detail in the lower mid-range, likes higher volumes to show Its best. Between an ER4S and UE900 you're basically shifting from two ends of the tonality spectrum. ER4S being brighter, UE900 darker.

I just worry for you  UE900 won't be detailed enough, while it's great I don't know they're worth their full asking price (imo) Something like an ASG-2 (if affordable) would be a good compliment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back