If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #4,981 of 19,272
The ER4 is not a forgiving phone. GIGO is the rule here.

Etymotic';s customer service is legendary and their rep is well deserved.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #4,982 of 19,272
Tonight was the first time in a while I listened to my er4p's..with my ipod u2 edition/continental v3 amp combo..also using the airplane adapter from the ue900's ..I forgot just how great these do sound..the clarity and detail is just amazing. I'm using the airplane adapter to add resistance like the p-s 75 ohm adapter..can anyone please tell me just how much resistance I'm adding by using the airplane adapter compared to the 75 ohm ? Some insite would be great..thank you .happy listening

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #4,983 of 19,272
Tonight was the first time in a while I listened to my er4p's..with my ipod u2 edition/continental v3 amp combo..also using the airplane adapter from the ue900's ..I forgot just how great these do sound..the clarity and detail is just amazing. I'm using the airplane adapter to add resistance like the p-s 75 ohm adapter..can anyone please tell me just how much resistance I'm adding by using the airplane adapter compared to the 75 ohm ? Some insite would be great..thank you .happy listening

if you don't have a multimeter, you'll need to know the impedance of both your source and your computer's input, then if you have a cable to go from your source to the computer's input, you could fool around with a test tone and a spectrometer or anything showing loudness with an ok db value, and find out approximately where you need to set your adapter buy measuring with and without it.

redneck version if you have no idea what I just talked about: I don't know the impedance of the continental. so with the ipod(I counted 4ohm?) if you really have nothing, set the adapter to get about half the loudness(yeah not amazing precision here) of the maxed out volume level. that's supposed to be around 10db, and you won't be too far off(at least less than if you just try your luck).

or you could buy a multimeter or simply a 75ohm adapter ^_^.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #4,986 of 19,272
if you don't have a multimeter, you'll need to know the impedance of both your source and your computer's input, then if you have a cable to go from your source to the computer's input, you could fool around with a test tone and a spectrometer or anything showing loudness with an ok db value, and find out approximately where you need to set your adapter buy measuring with and without it.

redneck version if you have no idea what I just talked about: I don't know the impedance of the continental. so with the ipod(I counted 4ohm?) if you really have nothing, set the adapter to get about half the loudness(yeah not amazing precision here) of the maxed out volume level. that's supposed to be around 10db, and you won't be too far off(at least less than if you just try your luck).

or you could buy a multimeter or simply a 75ohm adapter ^_^.
thank you i apreciate it :)

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #4,987 of 19,272
I don't suppose there's an appreciation thread for the ER4B around these parts?
etysmile.gif

Too bright with green filters. Also I'm just noticing that the Shure oval tips seem to be less thick/bassy than the frost tri-flanges. Going back and forth between red and orange dampers on the ER4B to see which is more tonally accurate. But seriously this is a great IEM. And tweaking dampers, crossovers, tips allows for both fine tuning as well as changing things with broad strokes. My urge for CIEMs has been tamed for the time being.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #4,988 of 19,272
Been an ER4P/S user for over five years now and thinking about doing the custom Ety tips for 'em. I typically used the gray triple flange, but after switching the tips I used for a year or so, I forgot how uncomfortable the tips are when new and not softened up.

Anybody try the custom tips recently? I've found some reviews on the site, but they aware from a few years ago.

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #4,989 of 19,272
Been an ER4P/S user for over five years now and thinking about doing the custom Ety tips for 'em. I typically used the gray triple flange, but after switching the tips I used for a year or so, I forgot how uncomfortable the tips are when new and not softened up.

Anybody try the custom tips recently? I've found some reviews on the site, but they aware from a few years ago.

It's a big improvement in term of comfort but insertion depth is critical and non adjustable.

PS : IMHO, d'ont use cutom tips that modify the tube length before or after the filter.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #4,990 of 19,272
For us here in Australia it was always a little awkward ordering from Etymotic website, (tips for example). They had a strange checkout system which would charge your credit card then refund  a difference after. I never liked this. I was delighted today when I was searching for foam ER4S tips and Etymotic have updated their website with an entirely new (user friendly) checkout system which allows you to select your country and shipping method.

For 5 pairs of foam tips cost me $25 AUD Shipped. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4,991 of 19,272
  For us here in Australia it was always a little awkward ordering from Etymotic website, (tips for example). They had a strange checkout system which would charge your credit card then refund  a difference after. I never liked this. I was delighted today when I was searching for foam ER4S tips and Etymotic have updated their website with an entirely new (user friendly) checkout system which allows you to select your country and shipping method.

For 5 pairs of foam tips cost me $25 AUD Shipped. 

same here, I guess it's the treatment for any non US dudes. but in the end it's more work for them, it ends up being pretty transparent for us overall.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #4,992 of 19,272

same here, I guess it's the treatment for any non US dudes. but in the end it's more work for them, it ends up being pretty transparent for us overall.

Oh, I'm not complaining at all about the price, it actually only came to $20 USD shipped, our AUD is so weak you can throw $5 on top.

Still very happy with the new checkout system, now I can order tips freely without worrying about one eBay seller running out of stock or paying a monstrous $40 shipped for 5 pairs (which I wouldn't do anyway, insane) I've been released from savouring my foam tips like my last gram of.... coffee?

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #4,993 of 19,272
 I've been released from savouring my foam tips like my last gram of.... coffee?  

I feel you! be it ety or comply, I often start weird last chance operations to rescue the last obviously overused pair, while waiting for the shipment(usually 10+days for me). when putting them in a pocket of my trousers and in the washing machine isn't an option anymore, that's when I get weird ideas only a junky can have. last time I sprayed some product to clean your ears on the foam expecting to "melt" the wax. and so it did, but it also took out the "memory" part out of memory foam ^_^.  I pressed the foam, it never went back in shape
redface.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #4,994 of 19,272

I've had my ER4s custom tips for about 10 months. They are much more comfortable than the flange tips, but sound quality and isolation are highly dependent on placement. With the right placement, they improve the sound for me.

Dec 12, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #4,995 of 19,272

I've had my ER4s custom tips for about 10 months. They are much more comfortable than the flange tips, but sound quality and isolation are highly dependent on placement. With the right placement, they improve the sound for me.

I put a drop of sweet almond oil on my auricular and pass it in my canal entry.
Insertion is always fast and painless and the isolation and placement are always perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back